Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:24:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

More climate change protests in Central London

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 15, 2019, 11:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

Quote from: Zetetic on April 23, 2019, 12:39:02 PM
I think probably a bigger concern about unilaterally pivoting away from 'globalism' is what that means for China, India, vast swathes of Africa and so on.

"Please reduce your environmental impact, and by the way we're trying to obliterate your economic development. Sorry about the aftermath of colonial exploitation."

Are we coupling this with no borders or a bigger wall? Where will the tantalum mines be?

(And, yes, yes, I say this as someone who has attempted to greatly restrict their consumer electronics consumption in the last 5+ years.)

Although I'd say a lot of the "economic development" associated with globalisation we've seen in China and elsewhere hasn't really been very favourable to much of the population who are just the cheapest workforce possible or are dealing with the effects of cheap/lax environmental policy at a local level.

biggytitbo

The problem with Greta is not that she would make a perfect lead in a female remake of the Omen, it's the fact she's been ruthlessly exploited by adults, whether its corporations, NGOs or governments. She's not telling them anything they don't already know - most of them have been dealing with this stuff over all their political lives, what she is is a marketing exocet, a cynically constructed PR bullet that's impossible to dodge, unwittingly serving the interests of the most powerful forces on the planet who don't just want a slice of the climate change cake, they want the whole cake and the kitchen to boot.

Her uncanny ability to get politicians around the world to fall over themselves for a photo op with her, and to attract limitless media coverage elevates her into a powerful political figure, but one that is totally immune to any criticism.

These people are geniuses.

jobotic

Alright Brendan.

Quoteunwittingly serving the interests of the most powerful forces on the planet who don't just want a slice of the climate change cake, they want the whole cake and the kitchen to boot.

You utter clown.

Buelligan

A sad clown though. 

A clown that thinks being a bit cunty about this girl negates the problem.

Buelligan

How does that address the heat death of the planet?

Howj Begg

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 24, 2019, 12:45:13 PM
The problem with Greta is not that she would make a perfect lead in a female remake of the Omen, it's the fact she's been ruthlessly exploited by adults, whether its corporations, NGOs or governments. She's not telling them anything they don't already know - most of them have been dealing with this stuff over all their political lives, what she is is a marketing exocet, a cynically constructed PR bullet that's impossible to dodge, unwittingly serving the interests of the most powerful forces on the planet who don't just want a slice of the climate change cake, they want the whole cake and the kitchen to boot.

This has been the default propaganda horseshit spouted by the right, the alt-right, the far right, the centre right and the ignorant Illuminati conspiracists for the last 30 odd years. We need to get to the point where no one listens to your type anymore. Thank you for illustrating so perfectly what we need to flush down the toilet this year.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Buelligan on April 24, 2019, 12:55:00 PM
A sad clown though. 

A clown that thinks being a bit cunty about this girl negates the problem.

This is the beauty of Greta Thunberg. You don't even have to criticise her, just the concept of her, and you're instantly banished into the wilderness.

Manufacturing a powerful political figure that is a immune from criticism is a masterstroke.

Howj Begg

Quote from: Buelligan on April 24, 2019, 12:58:17 PM
How does that address the heat death of the planet?

I think you'll find this is way down the scale of importance. Alex Jones getting kicked off facebook and the Washington Post reporting entirely accurately on President Trump - as it turns out - are of much graver concern.

Cuellar

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 24, 2019, 12:45:13 PM
who don't just want a slice of the climate change cake, they want the whole cake and the kitchen to boot.

What does this mean. Specifically. What is the kitchen in this metaphor. Who are they.

chveik

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 24, 2019, 01:00:08 PM
This is the beauty of Greta Thunberg. You don't even have to criticise her, just the concept of her, and you're instantly banished into the wilderness.

Manufacturing a powerful political figure that is a immune from criticism is a masterstroke.

thanks mister, we were all waiting for your brilliant input.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Howj Begg on April 24, 2019, 12:59:21 PM
This has been the default propaganda horseshit spouted by the right, the alt-right, the far right, the centre right and the ignorant Illuminati conspiracists for the last 30 odd years. We need to get to the point where no one listens to your type anymore. Thank you for illustrating so perfectly what we need to flush down the toilet this year.

Trotting out the right, the alt-right, the far right, the centre right and the ignorant Illuminati conspiracists has been the default propaganda position for the establishment and its credulous scared believers for the last 30 odd years

What this actually is is capitalism greenwashing itself, it's not really a controversial thing - it's how our economic system has worked forever, literally consuming everything in its way, even charities and environmentalism, in pursuit of all the money.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteLabour has backed the Extinction Rebellion protesters who have carried out a week of civil disobedience and occupations to highlight the ecological emergency, likening them to the Chartists, suffragettes and anti-apartheid activists.

Speaking in response to an urgent question in the Commons on Tuesday, the shadow energy minister, Barry Gardiner – who also holds the international trade role – said that alongside the school strikes, the protests organised by Extinction Rebellion were reminiscent of previous memorable struggles.

"All of those victories were won by citizens uniting against injustice, making their voice heard. And Extinction Rebellion and the school climate strikers are doing just that," Gardiner said.

Outside parliament, several hundred protesters from Extinction Rebellion gathered to call for politicians to engage with their three demands: for politicians to tell the truth, for the UK to cut carbon emissions to zero by 2025, and for the formation of a citizens' assembly.

Jon Ashworth, the shadow health secretary, came out to speak to the crowd, pledging to make climate change a central focus of Labour's health and wellbeing policy and expressed his support for a citizens' assembly.

Inside the chamber, former Labour leader Ed Miliband said the government must declare a climate emergency and introduce a "green new deal".

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/apr/23/labour-extinction-rebellion-climate-change?CMP=twt_a-environment_b-gdneco

Buelligan

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 24, 2019, 01:08:14 PM
Trotting out the right, the alt-right, the far right, the centre right and the ignorant Illuminati conspiracists has been the default propaganda position for the establishment and its credulous scared believers for last 30 odd years

What this actually is is capitalism greenwashing itself, it's not really a controversial thing - it's how our economic system has worked forever, literally consuming everything in its way, even charities and environmentalism, in pursuit of all the money.

Yeah?  Well, hopefully, someone who doesn't look like a 70's horror film, like Nigel Farage, will turn up to show us how to live free from the predations of compassion-free capitalism and save the planet.

American Psycho was released in 2000

biggytitbo

Quote from: Cuellar on April 24, 2019, 01:06:28 PM
What does this mean. Specifically. What is the kitchen in this metaphor. Who are they.

Maybe it wasn't a very good metaphor but I was trying to illustrate that the world's most powerful people, corporations and financial interests - global capitalism itself, don't just want to profit from climate change, they literally want  all of the vast riches tackling climate change will create. They want to consume it all.

Howj Begg

Trotting out the right, the alt-right, the far right, the centre right and the ignorant Illuminati conspiracists has been the default propaganda position for the establishment and its credulous scared believers for last 30 odd years

Are you going to be an idiot for your entire life? 

Okay good, so presumably you do agree with George Monbiot about capitalism's incompatibility with sustainability, yes?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/15/capitalism-destroying-earth-human-right-climate-strike-children

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5fWp8XfPpc

Buelligan

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 24, 2019, 01:15:40 PM
Maybe it wasn't a very good metaphor but I was trying to illustrate that the world's most powerful people, corporations and financial interests - global capitalism itself, don't just want to profit from climate change, they literally want  all of the vast riches tackling climate change will create. They want to consume it all.

So you're saying that Greta Thunberg is coordinating shit to enable big capitalism to profit from the end of the world? 

That isn't my top worry at the moment.

Howj Begg

Anything good, any kind of progress, eg anti-racism, anti-sexism, anti-global warming, anti-discrimination, anti-fascism, it's always, in biggy's warped world view, a conspiracy theory to make capitalism more money, always.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Howj Begg on April 24, 2019, 01:26:31 PM
Anything good, eg anti-racism, anti-sexism, anti-global warming, anti-discrimination, anti-fascism, it's always, in biggy's warped world view, a conspiracy theory to make capitalism more money, always.

Which do you think is more likely, corporations suddenly gaining a conscience or pretending to do so to sell more stuff?

Howj Begg

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 24, 2019, 01:29:00 PM
Which do you think is more likely, corporations suddenly gaining a conscience or pretending to do so to sell more stuff?

Exactly. So you agree with George Monbiot too, right?

And which do you think is more likely: Greta Thunberg is a scared 16 year old concerned about the planet and the XR protestors are grass roots protesters who are similarly concerned, or that they are both/all sinister capitalist initiatives promoted by shadowy organisations who stand to lose money from government policies on renewable energy?

Zetetic

Quote from: greenman on April 24, 2019, 12:37:08 PM
Although I'd say a lot of the "economic development" associated with globalisation we've seen in China and elsewhere hasn't really been very favourable to much of the population who are just the cheapest workforce possible or are dealing with the effects of cheap/lax environmental policy at a local level.
It's been terrible and iniquitous. I still don't think they'll cheer us pulling the rug out (unilaterally) and shutting the door.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Buelligan on April 24, 2019, 01:21:17 PM
So you're saying that Greta Thunberg is coordinating shit to enable big capitalism to profit from the end of the world? 
That isn't my top worry at the moment.

No, I'm saying Greta is being used as part of a brilliant consent manufacturing campaign, shuffled by the vast nexus of NGOs around her from one set of photo ops to the next, where she will admonish some old white men with a childlike social media friendly moral clarity that will make us all melt into submission. Don't fool yourself the forces behind all this want to save the world, they want the historically unprecedented opportunity a 'climate emergency' would create to suck up literally all the money in the world.

BlodwynPig

pancreas

Much as I like her, I don't think she's God.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: pancreas on April 24, 2019, 01:46:04 PM
Much as I like her, I don't think she's God.

Far too benevolent to be a God.

God longs for the heat death of the Universe.

Howj Begg

: 0 Toby Young is coming out with the same dishonest deflective bullshit as biggytitbo! Whod've thought it???

https://twitter.com/toadmeister/status/1120998371416788993

BlodwynPig

Paul Calf

Howj Begg

And the attacks on Thunberg are seemingly being coordinated by... Guido Fawkes.

What about her parents suggest that they are mega wealthy? No one is trying to discredit the Fast Food Rockers' stance on anything and they had a #2 single in 2003.

Don't get me started on Gina G.