Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:28:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

More climate change protests in Central London

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 15, 2019, 11:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

I just watched the full interview with him and he was a total disaster, so it almost feels like he was sent out into the minefield like one of those cows.

Butchers Blind

Fambo Number Mive

Is Corbyn going to have a chat with the protestors? Labour should be promising to agree to the three main demands of XR if they get into power.

Fambo Number Mive

XR protesters have climbed on top of a DLR train at Canary Wharf and glued themselves to the DLR train window, causing minor delays between Bank and Lewisham.

Noonling

In case anyone is interested, here is XR's coverage of yesterday, including a lot of international rebellion that isn't mentioned on BBC etc:

https://rebellion.earth/2019/04/17/ir-update-2/

Fambo Number Mive

Quoteon the 17th April Extinction Rebellion UK will dedicate a day of action in solidarity with the International Day of peasant struggle; we will be highlighting the links between our food system, land use, climate chaos and the ecological crisis

SteveDave

Quoteon the 17th April Extinction Rebellion UK will dedicate a day of action in solidarity with the International Day of peasant struggle; we will be highlighting the links between our food system, land use, climate chaos, the ecological crisis and the violence inherent in the system

phes

biggytitbo

The extinction protesters are doing yoga now

phes

It's a fookin' disgrace. Exercising. WHATEVER NEXT, EATING?

I for one would like to know Neil Warnock's views on this debacle

Cuellar

biggytitbo

Exactly, Arthur Scargill used to get the miners doing pilates at Orgreave during the Miners strike, so they'd stay nimble for any clashes with riot police.

Cuellar

I imagine they also own mobile phones, or eat food produced in not very environmentally responsible ways!! It's utterly laughable.

Chollis

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 17, 2019, 12:03:40 PM

That presenter's just about to do the "loopy" hand gesture isn't he. Deeply unprofessional.

jobotic

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 17, 2019, 12:03:40 PM

This is like when Trump tweets what's being said on Fox.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Chollis on April 17, 2019, 12:12:29 PM
That presenter's just about to do the "loopy" hand gesture isn't he. Deeply unprofessional.

From what I've seen the presenters on the scene have been fine, asking neutral questions, whereas the ones in the studio like Adam Boulton have been quite dickish. Sky News are obsessed with this story though, whereas its way down on the BBC's running order for some reason.

Flatulent Fox

I don't know why these protesters want to change the climate quite frankly.
I like the miserable cold interspersed with one or two searing hot days a year.

Have they decided if they want it colder or hotter?
Because that's a big problem choosing either Polar bears or (Bitey)sharks to have around the place.

Still when they vote for it,the gov will fuck it up and ask them to vote again if they didn't like the result.

Josef K

Obviously governments are fucking us and future generations over for the future and radical changes need to be made ASAP but it feels like Extinction Rebellion are another Kony 2012.

Examples:

1.They tweeted this
QuoteMost police are reasonable people. Some are idiots. No different to the rest of society. We hope that the police will soon join with the rebellion, either passively or actively, in a move that would force the government to the negotiating table.
which shows they're absolutely clueless about structural oppression and how the police operate as agents of the state

2. They've been encouraging people to get arrested to get 'legitimacy' as a protest movement, confident in their privilege that they can just walk away.
Reni-Eddo Lodge rightly called them out on this,:
QuoteI can only imagine that those who are excited at the prospect of getting arrested for their activism have not had to contend with a history of people like themselves dying mysteriously in police custody. 😑

3. Disrupting public transport
Because obviously buses and trains are the enemy in the fight against environmental catastrophe...

4. One of its founders is an (alleged) abusive creep
According to a few reports on twitter (https://twitter.com/EndManagement/status/1118113908118695937).

Also, I walk past the protesters at Marble Arch on my way home and there are a *lot* of white people with dreadlocks. The only good thing about ecological catastrophe is that these people will be wiped off the planet.

Cuellar

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 17, 2019, 12:18:02 PM

From what I've seen the presenters on the scene have been fine, asking neutral questions, whereas the ones in the studio have been quite dickish. SKy News are obsessed with this story though, whereas its way down on the BBC's running order for some reason.

Probably because they know their core viewers will like to point and laugh at the silly middle class idiots doing yoga

Blinder Data

Has gout_pony been arrested then? I bet he's been up to all sorts

Flatulent Fox

Quote from: Cuellar on April 17, 2019, 12:21:30 PM
Probably because they know their core viewers will like to point and laugh at the silly middle class idiots doing yoga
Are they doing the yoga during the protest,or is that scheduled in for the finale?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Cuellar on April 17, 2019, 12:21:30 PM

It's always been a big PR problem for the environmental movement though hasn't it, right from its inception the perception (and mostly the reality) that its mostly very rich people marshalling guilty middle class people.

I suppose it makes sense in this case though, considering very rich people and the middle classes have disproportionately massive carbon footprints compared to the poor, so they ought to take up more of the legwork when it comes to supergluing themselves to stuff.

Replies From View

For many people at the moment it's the Easter holiday.  What is so alarming or perplexing that these people are choosing to spend their holidays doing something that isn't work.  It doesn't mean they constantly have loads of free time due to enormous wealth.

Fucking dunce.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 17, 2019, 12:31:21 PM
It's always been a big PR problem for the environmental movement though hasn't it, right from its inception the perception (and mostly the reality) that its mostly very rich people marshalling guilty middle class people.

Not really, no.  You should read fewer shit things and stop brainwashing yourself with utter garbage.

Cuellar

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 17, 2019, 12:31:21 PM

Nah

You'd have to be pretty thick to the dismiss environmental issues because you saw a white person with dreadlocks doing yoga.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Replies From View on April 17, 2019, 12:41:55 PM
For many people at the moment it's the Easter holiday.

Mmm not for most people with jobs it isn't. You also seem very cross about this for some reason, why aren't you all chilled out because you're on your hols?

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 17, 2019, 01:13:52 PM
Mmm not for most people with jobs it isn't. You also seem very cross about this for some reason, why aren't you all chilled out because you're on your hols?

Because I work in education and find proud displays of ignorance frustrating wherever I see it.

Most people with jobs get to choose their holiday days and may choose the Easter holidays to have them so they can be with their family, for example.

Not everybody with a job gets to spend all their "working" hours chatting away online so I don't know what kind of high horse you think you deserve to be on.

Sebastian Cobb

Not having to take all your holidays when the kids are on school holidays is a compelling reason not to have kids tbh.

Replies From View

Just want to point out that titbo is sneering at people who work in education, by the way, purely on the basis of their holiday time.  He deems these people over-wealthy layabouts.

Never minding the fact that a) a career in education is stressful, underpaid and largely unrewarding and b) he doesn't seem to have done a day's work in his own life unless his job is posting here.