Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:54:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Histor and Pliny

Started by madhair60, April 15, 2019, 12:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

No matter how sophisticated comedy gets I'm afraid I always go back to Histor and Pliny. There is, damningly, nothing funnier than Pliny's obnoxious little voice.

madhair60

Replies From View

The best thing Stewart Lee ever did.

Captain Z

The physical design of Pliny, Stewart's voice/character and the operation of the puppet with his fidgety movements and open-beaked expressions go together so perfectly. If it actually was a Children's TV show I have no doubt Pliny would be remembered as fondly as Bagpuss, Sooty or any other iconic puppet.

Jittlebags

Pliny originally objected about sharing an on screen bed with Tacitus, but agreed to do it on condition he could smoke a pipe.

Dusty Substance

I saw Stewart Lee a few years ago doing a version of John Cage's Indeterminacy (he reads from randomly selected cards whilst avant garde musicians piddle about with instruments and toys - All very serious and chin strokey) and I somehow managed to suppress the urge to shout "Egg, like a birds egg" when he said the word "Example" during the performance.

https://thequietus.com/articles/09907-stewart-lee-john-cage-indeterminacy

Histor And Pliny didn't leave much of an impact during the original run of TMWRNJ - It wasn't until the episodes appeared online a decade later that I realized how eggcellent they were.

madhair60

You said all haaaaands on deck.

momatt

madhair60

What is canard-beak, Histor? Egg feather bird oeuf tit.

king_tubby

Just reading this thread has made me smirk.

Twed

You're right madhair. You're plain fucking right.

idunnosomename

Quite interesting that Herring plays the straight man in this sketch. skeggsch.

Twed

The best Stewart Lee is unsophisticated Stewart Lee. He's a really good fool.

madhair60

Uncle TechTip

They used them on their final live tour and.. yeah it wasn't so good. I think there was some business about Stew not wanting to do it that led in well. I think he hated doing the voice of whichever one he was.

Brundle-Fly

The puppets got taken out the BBC prop store and used as new characters on a CBeebies show, if I recall. I believe Avalon attempted to sue the production company but Rich and Stew put a stop to that and just wanted the crows returned. Richard auctioned his puppet so some fan has Histor somewhere displayed in their house. Or it's in a skip.

Apparently, the two Curious Orange prop heads were hired out to BBC employees for Halloween parties, presumably because they looked like pumpkins?

vainsharpdad

Yes - they each contained the semen of several men.

Ferris

Wing, like a bird's wing

madhair60

This is my favourite

I don't know why it says #1, it's not

BlodwynPig

I thought i was the only person to see this. I asked kids at school/university and they said no

madhair60

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 15, 2019, 10:59:47 PM
I thought i was the only person to see this. I asked kids at school/university and they said no

Universit EGG.

Ferris

Ferris

🥚 🥚 🥚🥚🥚🥚🥚
🍳🍳🍳🍳🍳🍳🍳
🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦
👌👌👌😂👌👌👌

Dr Syntax Head

madhair60

W-IAN-g like a bird's wing

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Replies From View on April 15, 2019, 12:30:02 PM
The best thing Stewart Lee ever did.

Hen nest wing Steggwart Wee feather tit.

petril

magval

How many were there? I don't want trawl through every episode of TM again (though I could, thanks to Alberon!) but quite fancy sticking these into a playlist or something. Did they do it in every episode?

Sebastian Cobb

Love how Stew basically resurrected this to impersonate Richard Hammond.

Replies From View

Quote from: Gregory Torso on April 16, 2019, 10:03:17 AM
Hen nest wing Steggwart Wee feather tit.

Tit, like a bird's tit.