Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:54:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sinister buildings

Started by Blue Jam, April 15, 2019, 04:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Beijing is getting a new airport:

Yeah, right- that's a top secret spy base or an alien autopsy facility or a launchpad for some kind of superweapon that does mind control or something.

Post all of your favourite evil buildings here please.

Twed

Twed

Blue Jam

Quote from: Twed on April 15, 2019, 04:40:47 PM
I loved this THPS level though.

It's actually a bonus level in Snooker 19. It's the one set inside Willie Thorne's shed.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Apple headquarters, or Bond villain lair?

Ferris

Blue Jam

Brundle-Fly

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Looks like the foreman was holding the plans upside down.

Mr Banlon

James Sinclair Point in Upton Park

thenoise

Just googled comprehensive school, every single one of them.

Imagine the horrors they have witnessed.

If someone can tell me how to post pictures on here, I can upload some from my own personal stash of sinister buildings. Brutalist and Mid-Century architecture is my forte.

Zetetic

Upload image somewhere. (e.g. https://imgur.com/)

Right click image when it's uploaded, and copy the image location.

Post like so:

[img width=600]https://example.com/path/to/image.jpg[/img]

(Try 'Quote' on one of the posts above to see what they had to write to make images appear in to their posts, if you'd rather learn from actual examples.)

honeychile

Great Pulteney Street in Bath (viewable on Streetview here) is a pretty unsettling walk. The mixture of rigid structural and rectilinear conformity and column-effect stonework makes it feel like the sort of place all the top-ranking civil servants would live in the british province had the Nazis won the war:

I really like Senate House in London (and much of Charles Holden's other work, not least some outstanding Tube stations on the Piccadilly Line), but can see why it served as the inspiration for the Ministry of Truth in 1984:

Spoon of Ploff

That one in London that melts cars.

Clownbaby

This is a good thread idea. Imma come back at some point with some doozies

daf

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 15, 2019, 04:59:46 PM
It's actually a bonus level in Snooker 19. It's the one set inside Willie Thorne's shed.

Jet Set Willie Thorne?

Phil_A

The Purley Centre, Marsh Farm, Luton. When I was working in nearby Sundon Park, I used to go past this on the bus, and got the feeling it was the place where all hope goes to die. I believe it's since been demolished.

I don't want to imagine how grim the inside of that pub was.

There was also a school around there that from the outside resembled a maximum security prison.

alan nagsworth

These fucking monstrous "pencil towers" housing the super-rich. Not just sinister because they're built by and for total cunts, but primarily because they look like Arrival-esque alien craft, towering over the city in a completely blank, faceless sort of way, containing some as yet unknown horror ready to unleash upon the unsuspecting world around it. I saw one of them being built in Manhattan and then I came home and went out to a job in East Croydon - a pant-shittingly grim experience in its own right - and was horrified to see two of the cunts going up there as well. They scare the crap out of me. Do not like them one bit.

Interesting article about them here.

Blumf

Mr Banlon

buzby

Manchester Guardian:

Heaton Park 'Backbone' tower:

flotemysost

It sounds silly but I used to get a bit creeped out sometimes walking past the Houses of Parliament at night. Just the way it's lit from below like that, glowering at you from across the river:

Mr_Simnock

Mr_Simnock

The sort of place a Russian gang might chop you up slowly before being fed to the dogs