Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,466
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:00:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sinister buildings

Started by Blue Jam, April 15, 2019, 04:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Southwyck House, or Barrier Block looks pretty sinister, although I've only seen it from the train.

gib

Quote from: buzby on April 15, 2019, 09:40:42 PM
Manchester Guardian:

I watched a great little youtube about this the other day. Really good channel, loads of similar Manchester hidden history on there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrdCxX-3NL0

thenoise

gib

buzby

Quote from: gib on April 15, 2019, 10:05:14 PM
I watched a great little youtube about this the other day. Really good channel, loads of similar Manchester hidden history on there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrdCxX-3NL0
Yes, I'm familiar with Martin's work, though I do end up shouting things at him when he doesn't know what something is for..

gib

Quote from: buzby on April 15, 2019, 10:10:52 PM
Yes, I'm familiar with Martin's work, though I do end up shouting things at him when he doesn't know what something is for..

I somehow knew you would be! What sort of thing do you have in mind?

buzby

Quote from: gib on April 15, 2019, 10:15:52 PM
I somehow knew you would be! What sort of thing do you have in mind?
As an example, the one where his mate takes him up to Saddleworth Moor to look at the old Stop Line pillboxes, or the one where he was poking about on the moors above the Standege tunnels and found the 'well' that was a inside one of the old water pumping engine houses from the tunnel's construction.

I wish someone would do a similar thing for Liverpool. I couldn't as I have a face for radio, a voice for internet forums and a presenting style that would have been rejected as 'too dry' by the Open University.

Gregory Torso

technically a billboard but still sinister

Blue Jam

Yes, Isis are pretty sinister.

gib

Quote from: buzby on April 15, 2019, 10:24:04 PM
As an example, the one where his mate takes him up to Saddleworth Moor to look at the old Stop Line pillboxes, or the one where he was poking about on the moors above the Standege tunnels and found the 'well' that was a inside one of the old water pumping engine houses from the tunnel's construction.

I wish someone would do a similar thing for Liverpool. I couldn't as I have a face for radio, a voice for internet forums and a presenting style that would have been rejected as 'too dry' by the Open University.

Given that virtually everyone here likes your presenting style, i can't help thinking you're underestimating yourself.

Gregory Torso

I seem to be attracted to creepy buildings...

https://ibb.co/7bNkRfL

103 Colmore Row, Birmingham. Now demolished.

Gregory Torso

not buildings, but buses, and something out of my nightmares (and some peoples waking realities)

Gregory Torso

some interiors, imagine it, WUUUURH, so scarey, old buildings and that

Almost all buildings are sinister, they absolutely terrify me

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 15, 2019, 10:46:00 PM
Yes, Isis are pretty sinister.

Musolini, little bit scarier than Isis?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 15, 2019, 08:27:26 PM

These fucking monstrous "pencil towers" housing the super-rich. Not just sinister because they're built by and for total cunts, but primarily because they look like Arrival-esque alien craft, towering over the city in a completely blank, faceless sort of way, containing some as yet unknown horror ready to unleash upon the unsuspecting world around it. I saw one of them being built in Manhattan and then I came home and went out to a job in East Croydon - a pant-shittingly grim experience in its own right - and was horrified to see two of the cunts going up there as well. They scare the crap out of me. Do not like them one bit.

Interesting article about them here.
I don't know. It just looks to me like a skyscraper drawn by a child. The scariest part is that it looks like a stiff breeze would knock it over.

imitationleather

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 15, 2019, 11:34:23 PM
it looks like a stiff breeze would knock it over.

We can hope.

They are anxiety in building form.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Gregory Torso on April 15, 2019, 11:00:52 PM

Mussolini on an Isis flag, no less...

(I was reading "SI SI SI SI SI SI SI..." as "ISIS ISIS ISIS ISIS...")

Ferris

Quote from: Gregory Torso on April 15, 2019, 11:00:52 PM

Got to say, I think ISIS has him beat on the scary front. Mind you, he's been dead for 70+ years so he'd be doing well to compete

Icehaven

non capisco

The water tower of the old Bexley psychiatric hospital in Kent loomed large in my childhood imagination, largely because my Dad told me in a typical 1980s display of political incorrectness that "that's where they put all the mad people". The water tower was all you could see on the horizon and so naturally I thought it was the entire building, a foreboding penal spire stacked top to bottom with a six year old child's inchoate vision of incarcerated lunatics.

The same goes for nearby Stone House hospital, again with the prominent tower. This one was formerly called City of London Asylum and in its distant past probably was close to the cruel hellhole my tender brain was envisaging. 

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on April 15, 2019, 09:59:20 PM
The sort of place a Russian gang might chop you up slowly before being fed to the dogs

I think it looks quite jolly.

Dr Syntax Head

Mtr simnock's russian gang block above is art. This thread is brilliant. Could stare at these pictures for hours.

Dr Syntax Head

This building always gave me the creeps when I used to come to Plymouth. Sad they knocked it down. I loved it.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/history/gallery/grain-silo-through-the-years-1059326

Paul Calf

I think that Ferentari, Bucharest has to be a strong contender for the worst place in Europe. Every building is sinister, filthy and eyeless:

But as far as sinister buildings go, the Ryugyong Hotel, PyongYang, North Korea takes a lot of beating:

It stands completely empty.