Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:14:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sinister buildings

Started by Blue Jam, April 15, 2019, 04:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neville Chamberlain

The most sinister buildings for me are burnt-down houses that have been left to rot. Once cosy, private family homes full of love, life and laughter, now empty, silent and destroyed.

Still, good news about the chocolate oranges!

Blue Jam

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 16, 2019, 08:48:03 AM
But as far as sinister buildings go, the Ryugyong Hotel, PyongYang, North Korea takes a lot of beating:

It stands completely empty.

Good one. I can't decide if the glass panels make it look more sinister or less sinister. It's gone from "dystopian sci fi scenery based on crumbling former communist architecture" to "top secret spy base":

In any case, it apparently has 1,000 empty rooms and I can't imagine it will ever be fully booked. Donald Trump may stay there at some point though...

Paul Calf

He'll buy it, have it knocked down and build one with 9000 rooms. Made of gold.

Crisps?

Everyone knows it, but since it's great, Denver Airport, where evil construction continues to this day, with the "Great Hall Project".

As with Donald Rumsfeld, they can't deny the accusations so have to sarcastically admit it all.

https://www.flydenver.com/great_hall/denfiles

buzby

Quote from: Crisps? on April 16, 2019, 11:21:09 AM
Everyone knows it, but since it's great, Denver Airport, where evil construction continues to this day, with the "Great Hall Project".

As with Donald Rumsfeld, they can't deny the accusations so have to sarcastically admit it all.

https://www.flydenver.com/great_hall/denfiles
During the current construction work on the Great Hall They found the 25-year-old concrete floor slab was constructed to a lower load rating than the design specified, which meant there was a risk any heavy equipment that had to be brought in might cause a collapse.
https://www.enr.com/articles/46407-denver-airports-renovator-uncovers-potential-snag

holyzombiejesus

What are those golf ball buildings?

Mr_Simnock

buzby

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 16, 2019, 12:11:56 PM
What are those golf ball buildings?

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on April 16, 2019, 12:22:14 PM
They are Radome's

Specifically the one on the TF sleeve is the radome covering the receiver dish at RAF Balado Bridge, a former NATO SATCOM II satellite ground station near Kinross that closed in 2006 and the site was sold by the MOD in 2007. The disused airfield it was part of hosted T In The Park from 1997 to 2014. The ground station site was back on the market last year for £950k.

A couple of other of Donald Milne's photographs used on their Songs From Northern Britain-era sleeves could qualify for this thread - for example Ain't That Enough

used Torness Nuclear Power Station:

gilbertharding

SteveDave

When I was in high school, there was a red brick, windowless tower that backed onto the very edge of our playing field. Walking passed it at night brought the heebeejeebees even as an adult.

Doing a Google Streetview of it now, it's been converted into a house (or sutin). What freak would choose to live in there though I don't know. It's at 63 Cyncoed Road in Cardiff if you want to see it.

buzby

Quote from: SteveDave on April 16, 2019, 01:04:46 PM
When I was in high school, there was a red brick, windowless tower that backed onto the very edge of our playing field. Walking passed it at night brought the heebeejeebees even as an adult.

Doing a Google Streetview of it now, it's been converted into a house (or sutin). What freak would choose to live in there though I don't know. It's at 63 Cyncoed Road in Cardiff if you want to see it.
It's an ex-water tower, converted into a large house in 2007. It was up for for sale in 2013 for £1.25million
http://davidhillarchitecture.co.uk/watertower

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: buzby on April 16, 2019, 12:36:29 PM
Specifically the one on the TF sleeve is the radome covering the receiver dish at RAF Balado Bridge, a former NATO SATCOM II satellite ground station near Kinross that closed in 2006 and the site was sold by the MOD in 2007. The disused airfield it was part of hosted T In The Park from 1997 to 2014. The ground station site was back on the market last year for £950k.

I fuckin love you, Buzby.

SteveDave

Quote from: buzby on April 16, 2019, 01:16:22 PM
It's an ex-water tower, converted into a large house in 2007. It was up for for sale in 2013 for £1.25million
http://davidhillarchitecture.co.uk/watertower

I heard they bricked a monk up in it.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on April 16, 2019, 08:43:45 AM
This building always gave me the creeps when I used to come to Plymouth. Sad they knocked it down. I loved it.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/history/gallery/grain-silo-through-the-years-1059326

Fucking hell that media group... in fact probably ALL websites for local newspapers... who designs them? The adverts make them unusable.

Blumf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore_Street_electricity_substation

Typical Brutalism imposing, and an unmistakable aura of 'fuck off', but it's that protuberance in the middle that seals the deal. Looks like it was designed as a podium for a fascist leader to deliver his speeches to a massed rally.

Sebastian Cobb

The panopticon prisons in Cuba.

jobotic

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 16, 2019, 01:00:15 PM
Ah yes - the Pentagram Centre in the background there.

That's the sinister one.

Dr Syntax Head

buzby

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on April 16, 2019, 03:20:29 PM
This one got attacked once apparently. Someone tried to invade it.
When the sea forts were being used as bases for pirate radio in the 60s their owners would send boarding parties to attack each other's stations to take the competition off air fairly regularly.

Replies From View

Quote from: Hound Of The Basketballs on April 16, 2019, 01:23:02 PM

That's Old Zealand there.  Looking very rundown isn't it conpared to the newer one that Peter Jackson films in.

Twed

That's that big boring mazey place from Fallout 4.

Replies From View

Quote from: Twed on April 16, 2019, 04:06:32 PM
That's that big boring mazey place from Fallout 4.

Or the Industrial Zone from the Crystal Maze.

SteveDave

Quote from: buzby on April 16, 2019, 03:23:43 PM
When the sea forts were being used as bases for pirate radio in the 60s their owners would send boarding parties to attack each other's stations to take the competition off air fairly regularly.

Like in "Slade In Flame"!

gilbertharding

Quote from: Hound Of The Basketballs on April 16, 2019, 01:23:02 PM

The remaining Army Forts used to be prominently visible from Whitstable, but nowadays they're harder to pick out amongst the wind turbines. On a clear day with binoculars you can also see Knock John Fort, which is the only other remaining Navy Fort (looks like Sealand, which is off Harwich).

I had no idea that most of the accommodation is in the actual concrete LEGS of the Navy Forts (ie mostly below the waterline). I think the expression I'm looking for is 'Fuck that'.

Especially now they're nearly 80 years old.