Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:53:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Notre Dame is on fire

Started by biggytitbo, April 15, 2019, 06:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 16, 2019, 11:37:15 AM
Thank God they saved the fictional priceless relics the crown of thorns and fragment of the true cross.
to be fair that crown of thorns is at least 1500 years old, since it was in Constantinople since like the 6th century. so like it is kinda important whatever you know

bigger news THE QUEEN IS UPSET!!! THAT THE ROOF HAS BURNT OFF A BUILDING THAT IS OTHERWISE LARGELY UNHARMED!!!

media havent got a clue how gothic cathedrals work.

Dr Sanchez

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 16, 2019, 04:57:01 PM

media havent got a clue how gothic cathedrals work.

They've completely dumbed down it seems.

Cloud

Quote from: katzenjammer on April 16, 2019, 03:04:51 PM
It's just a church ffs!

My mind all the way through this!  Media treating it like Diana 2.0.  It's just a fucking church.... yeah it's a very historic and magnificent one, so it's quite sad (especially if it would've been more deeply destroyed) but buildings can be rebuilt.  No one died, that's the main thing, and in the long term it'll further enrich the church's history.

Urinal Cake

Now it can be converted to a mosque!

Anxiety about Christian and Western civilization is the base to all this nonsense.

Cloud

Bloody Muslims setting fire to r churches

kalowski

My heart goes out to everyone who died in the blaze.

Replies From View

imitationleather

Quote from: Cloud on April 16, 2019, 09:19:20 PM
Bloody Muslims setting fire to r churches

You jest, but plenty of the morons on the internet are suggesting this is what happened.

biggytitbo

I hear they're going to use the restoration opportunity to provide some modern features, such as a waterslide.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 16, 2019, 10:10:43 PM
I hear they're going to use the restoration opportunity to provide some modern features, such as a waterslide.

Please god let it be in the shape of a penis!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cloud on April 16, 2019, 09:14:19 PM
My mind all the way through this!  Media treating it like Diana 2.0.  It's just a fucking church.... yeah it's a very historic and magnificent one, so it's quite sad (especially if it would've been more deeply destroyed) but buildings can be rebuilt.  No one died, that's the main thing, and in the long term it'll further enrich the church's history.

Exactly, the Great Fire of London...no problem...Shard
The 16th and 19th Century Fires of Moscow...nice bit of clearout of largely wooden buildings
Coventry bombings...but now they've got an abundance of ring roads

Replies From View

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 16, 2019, 10:15:01 PM
an abundance of ring roads

The correct collective noun for ring roads is "an ambulance".

Sherringford Hovis

Varg Vikernes lives in France now. Hmm...

chveik

honeychile

Quote from: katzenjammerIt's just a church ffs!

Quote from: CloudMy mind all the way through this!  Media treating it like Diana 2.0.  It's just a fucking church.... yeah it's a very historic and magnificent one, so it's quite sad (especially if it would've been more deeply destroyed) but buildings can be rebuilt.  No one died, that's the main thing, and in the long term it'll further enrich the church's history.

This has been the reaction of everyone i know. Sad that it's been damaged, it's an outstanding piece of architectural heritage... but no-one has died. It can be repaired, though why a wealthy "philanthropist" would choose to stick hundreds of millions of euros towards this as a priority i can't fathom. Even if it couldn't be repaired... Reims and Chartres and Amiens and Bourges are still there. It's not even like (as far as we know) someone did it deliberately à la ISIS.

On the news earlier they said churches across England would ring out on Thursday "in solidarity". Solidarity with what? Solidarity with wooden architectural features? Solidarity against accidental fires?

We all think it's a shame, but it just seems so performative.

Interesting that BlodwynPig mentioned Coventry. In one of his books writing about british cities, Owen Hatherley talks of why he likes Coventry so much better than Dresden. Because in Dresden, they restored everything as it was, so it looked like nothing had ever happened. Whereas in Coventry, they took the attitude that no, something terrible did happen here and we want it to be acknowledged. Not that i'm comparing an accidental fire in a church to outrageous city-wide destruction obviously.

BlodwynPig

There's a reason why Tangerine Dream played Coventry Cathedral and not Dresden Cathedral...they didn't get permission for Dresden.

sponk

The several hundred million Euros that will be spent on this could have saved thousands of lives if spent on medicine or disease prevention. Obviously society has decided that this building is more important than human life.

canadagoose

Quote from: sponk on April 17, 2019, 12:21:15 AM
The several hundred million Euros that will be spent on this could have saved thousands of lives if spent on medicine or disease prevention. Obviously society has decided that this building is more important than human life.
Why not both?

sponk

Quote from: canadagoose on April 17, 2019, 12:22:58 AM
Why not both?

I haven't been emperor of France for weeks now so my answer to this is irrelevant.

In all seriousness I am in favour of both, but many people die everyday from easily preventable disease and starvation, so it's obvious that society isn't.

idunnosomename

its just a fucking roof which is mostly 19th century but some billionaires get to throw fucking tuppence towards it rather than pay fair tax so hooray

Sin Agog

Quote from: sponk on April 17, 2019, 12:24:11 AM
I haven't been emperor of France for weeks now so my answer to this is irrelevant.

In all seriousness I am in favour of both, but many people die everyday from easily preventable disease and starvation, so it's obvious that society isn't.

Maybe save the people with medicine and such, but then make them spend the rest of their lives (which you now own) tightly interlocked together as a human roof.

BlodwynPig

This is awful. It appears a father and daughter are missing after the fire and an American* called Brooke is asking Twitter to step up the efforts to find them

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47947745

*presumably**

I hope and pray for a happy ending to be sensationalised in a Netflix film and BBC immersive article soon.

**Windsor, Michigan***

***Not Windsor, Canada

BlodwynPig

St_Eddie

QuoteAs France comes to terms with the disaster, her poignant photo was described as "historic" and a "special moment in time" by Twitter users.

"This is going to become THAT photo" Michelle Bhasin commented.

No, it's not.  Fuck off with your "poignant" and "historic" photo.  It's hardly Nick Ut's Vietnam War photo of Phan Thị Kim Phúc, now is it?  Fucking attention seeking twitter cunts.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 17, 2019, 01:43:41 AM
No, it's not.  Fuck off with your "poignant" and "historic" photo.  It's hardly Nick Ut's Vietnam War photo of Phan Thị Kim Phúc, now is it?  Fucking attention seeking twitter cunts.

They want their bit of history, they need to be part of it. All those inspirational films and all those inspirational news sites telling them that....its gone to their heads. Just look how far BBC News has slid, even in the last year. 90% clickbait and inspirational stories.

"How my traumatic enema changed my life...and the fortunes of a war veteran hobo"

we're sorry to inform you that Notre Dame is #cancelled

Urinal Cake

Remember when America and the rest of Anglophone world hated France after the Iraq War? Good times.

I'm waiting for the backlash against the backlash against the backlash against the backlash in the scintillating Notre Dame 'discourse'

chveik

Quote from: Urinal Cake on April 17, 2019, 02:15:48 AM
Remember when America and the rest of Anglophone world hated France after the Iraq War? Good times.

well they've just returned to their post-war patronizing self. it's worse in a way.

pancreas

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on April 17, 2019, 02:26:07 AM
I'm waiting for the backlash against the backlash against the backlash against the backlash in the scintillating Notre Dame 'discourse'

think you just did it. 2/5.