Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:02:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Notre Dame is on fire

Started by biggytitbo, April 15, 2019, 06:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 15, 2019, 07:03:54 PM
York Minster had a pretty bad fire in the 80s didn't it, and they managed to restore it. I even did the blue peter competition to design one of the bosses but they never used it for some reason.

during my first year at grammar school I sat next to one of the winners in class, my closest brush with celebrity

St_Eddie

Quote from: thraxx on April 15, 2019, 08:41:35 PM
I am currently just down the road from Notre Dame, and have been all day, and I've noticed bugger all, so I reckon this is bollocks.

Are you sure that you haven't gone to Florence Cathedral by mistake?

Quote from: Gulftastic on April 15, 2019, 09:04:20 PM
I'll always remember the times I drove past it playing Midtown Madness 3.

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 15, 2019, 09:13:23 PM
You get to fart about inside of it on Assassin's Creed Unity, sadly no more.

They'll have to patch it out and replace the Cathedral with a smouldering heap.  There's no way around it.

Twed

steve98

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 15, 2019, 09:26:17 PM

They'll have to patch it out and replace the Cathedral with a smouldering heap.  There's no way around it.

It's amazing what skilled restorers can achieve.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 15, 2019, 08:33:15 PM
Make a new one out of Lego. Everyone loves Lego. Isn't that right, BlodwynPig?

If you do it, ill retract my words

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Jittlebags on April 15, 2019, 09:08:55 PM
It'll be Russian sightseers.

Watch it! My wife went with me and was respectful, wept tears over the diana underpass was her only stain

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 15, 2019, 08:33:15 PM
Make a new one out of Lego. Everyone loves Lego. Isn't that right, BlodwynPig?

Meccano.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 15, 2019, 09:45:41 PM

If you do it, ill retract my words

This is exactly what you said to me about the twin towers, and look where that got me. I'll not be fooled again.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 15, 2019, 09:50:17 PM
This is exactly what you said to me about the twin towers, and look where that got me. I'll not be fooled again.

...still waiting for lego twin towers, doesnt have to be new york, donegal will be fine

Norton Canes

BBC News studio guy showing Tweets on a huge swipe-y flatscreen with lots of icons. "L'oiseau il..."

poo

Being Paris it was probably started by bumming they love it lol

poo

Magine there was a typo on one of the workers' contracts and it said burn the roof instead of fix the roof and the guy is like hey I was just doing my job! Lol

poo

Why didn't god come down and put it out he could have pissed on it lol

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 15, 2019, 09:58:11 PM
BBC News studio guy showing Tweets on a huge swipe-y flatscreen with lots of icons. "L'oiseau il..."

Disband this cunt organisation now

BlodwynPig

Quote from: poo on April 15, 2019, 10:19:50 PM
Why didn't god come down and put it out he could have pissed on it lol

God pint, well made

biggytitbo

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on April 15, 2019, 09:14:48 PM
during my first year at grammar school I sat next to one of the winners in class, my closest brush with celebrity

I don't know why they never chose my design, I guess they didn't think dangermouse was a good fit for a gothic cathedral.

Ian Drunken Smurf

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 15, 2019, 07:12:18 PM
What would the equivalent building be in the UK? The Post Office tower?
St Paul's? Or Westminster Abbey? Or Windsor Castle?

poo

biggytitbo

BlodwynPig

Nowhere Man

Newcastle Greggs

or the Green Midget Cafe

steve98

These flying buttresses that hold the structure together are now pushing back against nothing really (Now that the roof and what have you's gone); won't they tend to push what's left of the structure over?

Sherringford Hovis

Brigade des sapeurs-pompiers de Paris (BSPP) are mental. They carry guns so they can shoot the fire out.

Quote from: steve98 on April 15, 2019, 11:40:15 PM
These flying buttresses that hold the structure together are now pushing back against nothing really (Now that the roof and what have you's gone); won't they tend to push what's left of the structure over?

Basic physics. Now that the weight of the roof pushing down is gone, the entire cathedral is liable to take flight and begin floating toward the stratosphere. This is why the firefighters have been very careful so far.

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on April 15, 2019, 08:32:15 PM

To be fair, this moronic Tweet may be the least mean spirited and closest approach to being helpful moment in Trump's entire life.

Icehaven

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on April 15, 2019, 11:58:38 PM
To be fair, this moronic Tweet may be the least mean spirited and closest approach to being helpful moment in Trump's entire life.

I'm surprised he didn't offer to send Superman over with that frozen lake from Superman III.

Uncle TechTip

The latest photos from inside are encouraging, seems that there's a big layer of stone underneath the roof so the fire hasn't spread far inside, apart from underneath the spire. The organ might be saved!

steve98

You must be seein' a different Notre Dame to me; there's nowt left of the  one I'm lookin' at (Apart from the twin towers).

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on April 15, 2019, 11:58:38 PM

Except that rapidly cooling stonework with an uncontrolled shitload of water plummeting from above is a very bad idea. Each litre of water you whack onto a fire has the potential to become 1600 litres of steam, which can ruin your day as I've learned to my cost.

The French are probably the best firefighters in the world: in terms of funding, training, and sheer numbers of 'em, anyway. France and UK populations are broadly comparable, as are Paris and London. Full strength, Paris has 9,000+ riding over 300 vehicles, opposed to London's diminutive 6,000 on 152 (obviously, less than half these firefighters would be available at any given time). London has 11 Aerial or turntable ladders, Paris has 66. Nationally they've got over 250,000 trained bods compared to our puny 60,000ish.

Bennett Brauer

Make sure you get that hashtag in there, Justin. #sincerity 🔔 🇫🇷 🙏 🙌