Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:35:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Notre Dame is on fire

Started by biggytitbo, April 15, 2019, 06:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: steve98 on April 16, 2019, 12:33:58 AM
You must be seein' a different Notre Dame to me; there's nowt left of the  one I'm lookin' at (Apart from the twin towers).

I thought entire top had collapsed in on itself from the aerial/distance footage, but apparently the stone ceiling (?) has mostly held. This is a good perspective: https://twitter.com/CathedraleNotre/status/1117896687920357376

Quite amazing really. Modern buildings are shit.

steve98

A flat stone ceiling? Doesn't seem very likely. Who would sit underneath an 800 yo flat stone ceiling. Is it suspended? It can't be(What from?)

EDIT. I'm wrong. Amazingly, it seems the interior has survived pretty much intact beneath the vault (not a suspended ceiling).

Mister Six

I work with a bunch of Americans and Canadians, so all day I've heard nothing but the fire in "Noder Dayme". That's the real tragedy here.

Dr Sanchez

Quote from: Mister Six on April 16, 2019, 02:40:26 AM
I work with a bunch of Americans and Canadians, so all day I've heard nothing but the fire in "Noder Dayme". That's the real tragedy here.

That gave me genuine shudders.

BlodwynPig

Quebecois Canadians then

machotrouts

YEAH baby! Notre Dame is on FIRE! I have decided to read the thread title FIGURATIVELY! Can't get ENOUGH of Notre Dame! Delighted we have a DEDICATED thread in which to praise NOTRE DAME – the cathedral that just keeps GIVING!

[reads thread]

Ahhh... ah fuck. Aww shit. Fuck

Fry

I guess... someone was furiously tweeting about the lack of black characters in Overwatch on their Samsung Galaxy Note 7, which exploded and set alight the screenplay to the new Star Wars movie which was laying on a pew.  That's the best I got.

Figuratively Hitler: The The_Donald Story

Buelligan

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on April 16, 2019, 12:40:59 AM
Except that rapidly cooling stonework with an uncontrolled shitload of water plummeting from above is a very bad idea. Each litre of water you whack onto a fire has the potential to become 1600 litres of steam, which can ruin your day as I've learned to my cost.

The French are probably the best firefighters in the world: in terms of funding, training, and sheer numbers of 'em, anyway. France and UK populations are broadly comparable, as are Paris and London. Full strength, Paris has 9,000+ riding over 300 vehicles, opposed to London's diminutive 6,000 on 152 (obviously, less than half these firefighters would be available at any given time). London has 11 Aerial or turntable ladders, Paris has 66. Nationally they've got over 250,000 trained bods compared to our puny 60,000ish.

We also have about 26 flying water tankers, which we call the Canadairs but include several types in reality.  The Canadairs are capable of dropping 6 metric tonnes of water per drop, the equivalent of 6000 litres or 9.6million litres of steam, which would be interesting but probably not completely helpful in this situation.  A frequent sight here though because we have a lot of mountain/garrigue fires.

Interesting and sad, I think, to consider that much of the wood burned was bursting its acorn more than a thousand years ago.  Now it's dust at last as everything must be, even mankind's greatest vanities.

I've been several times and honestly, not that great. Queueing for ages will finally be a thing of the past. Ashes to ashes, as they would say. Time to move on.

biggytitbo

Lots of Americans blaming this on Ilman Omar.

biggytitbo

poo

Yeah that's bad, fair dos.

Beagle 2

Quote from: The Boston Crab on April 16, 2019, 06:43:52 AM
I've been several times and honestly, not that great. Queueing for ages will finally be a thing of the past. Ashes to ashes, as they would say. Time to move on.

Absolutely, it was just one of the many contributory factors to my own little episode of Paris Syndrome when I visited the world's rudest city. York Minster dicks on it. Hopefully this gives it the opportunity to add some improvements, IMAX, laser tag etc.

I am delighted.

poo

I wanted to go in but I'd just spent 200 euro on half a lager, so I just looked at it from across the river.

greenman

Quote from: steve98 on April 15, 2019, 11:40:15 PM
These flying buttresses that hold the structure together are now pushing back against nothing really (Now that the roof and what have you's gone); won't they tend to push what's left of the structure over?

As has been said it had a vaulted stone interior roof the same as most gothic catherals that what have made up most of the weight so whether that stays standing is really the big issue.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Beagle 2 on April 16, 2019, 08:04:57 AM
Absolutely, it was just one of the many contributory factors to my own little episode of Paris Syndrome when I visited the world's rudest city. York Minster dicks on it. Hopefully this gives it the opportunity to add some improvements, IMAX, laser tag etc.

I am delighted.

Paris isn't the world's rudest city. Not by a long way. Learn how to be polite in Paris and people are as tolerant, pleasant and helpful as they are in any capital city, and much more so than, say, London or Ho Chi Minh City.

York's nicer though; absolutely no argument there.

Neville Chamberlain

I loved that track "Only You" by The Flying Buttresses.

Fry

The most annoying online take about all of this has been people rushing in with the spicy old 'oh you're sad about this terrorist attack that happened in Europe/America? Well how about this tragedy that happened across the other side of the world' argument but applied to buildings. It's just the dull lack of craftsmanship in the desperate plea for attention that gets me. This is Notre Dame we're talking about. We got an old colonial power, Catholics. Lots of stuff to work with there. Do a tweet about child sex or something. Think outside the box.

ajsmith2

The twee and patronising 'Europe Is Lost' / 'Of course towelhead Muslims did this, but the MSM will cover it up ' narrative that right wing America hasn't delayed in immediately framing this in fucking does my box in.

ajsmith2

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 16, 2019, 07:57:51 AM

Ben Garrison's wife came up with pretty much the same cartoon.

Paul Calf

Ever seen biggy and Mrs. Garrison in the same room? Makes you think. Queue Bonio?

Cuellar

VERY suspicious how a building made of STONE and SLATES and things can burn AT ALL

Hmmm......

SteveDave

Turns out I'm the only cunt who's been to Paris and didn't have a photo taken outside this big old church.

buttgammon

My girlfriend's dad is an ex-firefighter. He watched a couple of videos of the fire last night and immediately pointed out the scaffolding; he has seen similar fires before where flammable materials were strewn around the roof of a building during renovation, someone was welding and an errant spark ignited the whole thing, and he reckons that's what happened here. He knows a lot more about fighting fires than Donald Trump and stupid conspiracy twats but as an expert he has to be wrong.

Bennett Brauer

Two more dreadful cartoons, but at least he doesn't look like Tony Hancock in these.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on April 16, 2019, 10:25:35 AM

What's the significance of a big smelly church falling into a vat of custard?

Cuellar

biggytitbo

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on April 16, 2019, 10:25:35 AM
Two more dreadful cartoons, but at least he doesn't look like Tony Hancock in these.

I don't remember Quasimodo being able to fly in the book, although he does as played by Peter Sellers in The Pink Panther Strikes Again.

Buelligan

The odd thing about it is that all of the people producing these illustrations seem fixed by the same idea.  The idea being, what do people who know nothing about Notre Dame, Paris, France even, think?  How can I trigger some idea of what this means? 

That's obviously what's important here, creating something very weak, without relevance or understanding, for people who don't care.

I'm just grateful they haven't put poor Quasimodo in a breton shirt with a string of onions, a bicycle and a bottle of beaujolais if I'm honest.