Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:04:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Deutschland 86

Started by greencalx, April 15, 2019, 07:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greencalx

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 04, 2019, 04:25:24 PM
Deutschland 86 should be good and will be on Channel 4, although I've already downloaded it and not watched it.

Not sure if it is/was on Channel 4 proper, but it's available on the All 4 streaming service. We worked through the 10 episodes over the last couple of weeks, which I think is preferable to it dripping out weekly.

It was quite enjoyable, although I felt lacked the tension of the first series in which I felt that Martin was always on the edge of being found out. It's hopelessly contrived, of course, with all the characters from S1 having been relocated yet still having interlocking storylines. I felt there was perhaps one subplot too many; maybe it would have been better to have cut back by an episode or two to make something tighter. Also I quickly lost track of who was double-crossing whom, until I got to the point where I realised it didn't really matter. Once I accepted that basically everyone was out for themselves, I was able to sit back and enjoy the ride. Not sure I can say more without spoilering but if anyone else has watched it and wants to talk about it, I guess this is the thread to do so.

One wonders if they will go for an '89 edition: the fact that the DDR was on its last legs is a major theme of the '86 series. Might be fun to see what happens to this bunch during Die Wende. ETA: Yip, a quick google says that there will be an '89.

gatchamandave

I've been watching it two episodes a week, and I agree that it's a lot less engaging this time around for some reason. It hops about way too much - South Africa then Angola, we were in Libya last week, this week we are in Paris, maybe ? Not do I find myself warming to Martin this time maybe because he never seems to be in much danger for all that he's supposedly the world's most hunted spy, a bit too 007 what with the non stop shagging and with-one-bound escapes every week.

greencalx

I found the second half of the series (once he'd made it back to Europe) more fulfilling than the first.

Sebastian Cobb

Rattled through this in a few days. I did enjoy how the administration had resorted to really dirty capitalist tactics to try and stay afloat.