Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:42:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Silly little things that mean you won't like a band

Started by holyzombiejesus, April 15, 2019, 09:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

I'm sure we had a thread like this recently but...

A friend recommended me a band called Easter. I clicked on the bandcamp link he sent me and the first track on their album is called "I Lost My Pen". Fucked it off without listening to a note.

alan nagsworth

Yeah, names are the biggest immediate turn-off. My mate was over the other night after a gig and we were listening to a load of thrash metal and punk and the like. He got onto enthusiastically bigging up all these hardcore bands, and they all had names like Terminal Griefdown or After The Dust Sets Fire To The Cockfight or Vengeance Like The Mountain or Forgiving The Aftermath, and I was honestly like mate please stop saying these names at me, I am never ever going to listen to any of this.

I very nearly never listened to Black Lips because they are "a self-described flower-punk band", but I'm glad I did because bizarrely that is exactly what Arabia Mountain sounds like and yet it works and it's fucking brilliant.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 15, 2019, 09:44:04 PM
Yeah, names are the biggest immediate turn-off.

Oh Christ, yes. I was staying with a friend in Sheffield and we went to the local bar to see some bands, but they were all called "Jenny And The Bees And The Bears" and "I Moustache You A Question" so we went home, got shitfaced and watched The Fly instead.

jamiefairlie

Any hint of "rockist" behavior and I'm off. I made the mistake of catching a clip of pretend modern day New Order the other day and at the end of, I think it was Blue Monday, the new bassist and the guitarist no-mark guy from Marion were standing guitar to guitar in front of the video screen, doing all the lame guitar as dicks poses and rocking out like total wanks, to BLUE FUCKING MONDAY no less! Growing up deeply embedded in the post-punk, holier than thou, anti-everything attitude of the early 80s, I guess I've been indoctrinated to utterly loathe those rock star antics with an ideological zeal.

the science eel

Erm...yeah, weren't THEY supposed to, too?

I don't get it.

It's like Lydon today saying the Johnny Rotten walking around with a 'I HATE PINK FLOYD' T-shirt was 'ironic' and that he actually loves 'em.

Band ideology is important!

buzby

Quote from: jamiefairlie on April 15, 2019, 11:38:10 PM
Any hint of "rockist" behavior and I'm off. I made the mistake of catching a clip of pretend modern day New Order the other day and at the end of, I think it was Blue Monday, the new bassist and the guitarist no-mark guy from Marion were standing guitar to guitar in front of the video screen, doing all the lame guitar as dicks poses and rocking out like total wanks, to BLUE FUCKING MONDAY no less! Growing up deeply embedded in the post-punk, holier than thou, anti-everything attitude of the early 80s, I guess I've been indoctrinated to utterly loathe those rock star antics with an ideological zeal.

Peter Hook's self-tribute act performing Blue Monday in 2013 (put it on mute to avoid his 'singing').

It's not like Hooky ever really bought into that 'anti-rock' stance though is it? leather jackets and  keks, guitar hero poses, using the biggest amp he could find, moaning when their records weren't 'rock' enough for him. He was the only one who looked comfortable in the TBTHOG video (which wasn't far off the image he chose for Revenge).

Quote from: buzby on April 16, 2019, 12:08:04 AM
Peter Hook's self-tribute act performing Blue Monday in 2013 (put it on mute to avoid his 'singing').

It's not like Hooky ever really bought into that 'anti-rock' stance though is it? leather jackets and  keks, guitar hero poses, using the biggest amp he could find, moaning when their records weren't 'rock' enough for him. He was the only one who looked comfortable in the TBTHOG video (which wasn't far off the image he chose for Revenge).
Is he on the drink for this performance, he looks absolutly knackered, like by Dad on Christmas day after the Queens Speech.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: buzby on April 16, 2019, 12:08:04 AM

True but he was very restrained in the early days, only rocking out as the cocaine kicked in, creating a gradual descent from 82 through 85.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 15, 2019, 09:44:04 PM
Yeah, names are the biggest immediate turn-off. My mate was over the other night after a gig and we were listening to a load of thrash metal and punk and the like. He got onto enthusiastically bigging up all these hardcore bands, and they all had names like Terminal Griefdown or After The Dust Sets Fire To The Cockfight or Vengeance Like The Mountain or Forgiving The Aftermath, and I was honestly like mate please stop saying these names at me, I am never ever going to listen to any of this.

Haha, yes, totally agree.

Neville Chamberlain

I've also learnt that nothing good can come from a musician with a man-bun. And believe me, I've learnt the hard way.

Dr Syntax Head

Names with loads of twee words put me right off. 'The Chatsworth Morris dancing tea party book club'. That kind of thing. You just know it's basically another Mumford and Lumineers bullshit. Even the name of my (one of) favourite band's pisses me off for that reason. Films with titles like that can fuck off too.

That said The Jesus and Mary Chain is a fucking cool name.

SteveDave

Grown men wearing shorts onstage.

Ibanez guitars.

Muse.

Being straight edge. Have a Carling and fucking get excited.

Dr Syntax Head

A bit obvious and not little but white middle class guy, in his 20s, acoustic guitar, beard, attempt at post grunge voice, millennial whoop, self satisfied smug cunt grin, mobile phone advert, covers a depeche mode song in a campfire vibe, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off,

Oh yeah while we're at it thanks you wigwag cunts for ruining a childhood comfort blanket of a song I still go back to on bad days. Follow you follow me in that car ad where they're driving around in a swimming pool done in a hanging out at Jamie Oliver's house style. Go fuck yourselves you cancer on the face of sound.

daf

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on April 16, 2019, 08:55:44 AM
Names with loads of twee words put me right off.

Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong

it's like some wacky E4 comedy sketch by one of those sub-Russell Brand skinny clones.

Never heard a single note, and I never will - I simply cannot allow this any ear room in my tumbrel - AVAUNT!!

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on April 16, 2019, 10:24:12 AM
Oh yeah while we're at it thanks you wigwag cunts for ruining a childhood comfort blanket of a song I still go back to on bad days. Follow you follow me in that car ad where they're driving around in a swimming pool done in a hanging out at Jamie Oliver's house style. Go fuck yourselves you cancer on the face of sound.

Also, who the fuck DARES to cover Daniel Johnston's "True Love Will Find You In The End" in that sad little doggy advert. Play the original you biscuity cunts. Yeah I know, poor little woof woofs, but christ, it's that milk gargling throaty way of singing, I can see the straw hat on his head and his sockless ankles slip-on shoes, fuck the fuck off your bar stool troubador perch.

DoesNotFollow

There a some exceptions but generally when a band rips their name directly from the song title of another, usually superior band.

holyzombiejesus

It's really shit of me but if I like an artist, I generally want to own as much of their back catalogue as possible, so if I hear something I like but they've released 17 hard to find LPs, I chalk it up as a loss and don't investigate any further. It's pathetic and indicative of a sad little collector's mentality, one that I imagine is getting rarer as downloading becomes the norm.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

If they're a bunch of cunts ( like Clean Bandit, or someone ).

kalowski

Quote from: daf on April 16, 2019, 11:03:25 AM
Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong

it's like some wacky E4 comedy sketch by one of those sub-Russell Brand skinny clones.

Never heard a single note, and I never will - I simply cannot allow this any ear room in my tumbrel - AVAUNT!!
https://youtu.be/IDQpggePaak

RicoMNKN

No one in a band should ever do weight training - pumped-up members in a band photo make the band look terrible.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: RicoMNKN on April 16, 2019, 12:25:38 PM
No one in a band should ever do weight training - pumped-up members in a band photo make the band look terrible.

Every band should look like 4 or 5 series 2 boosh era noel fieldings

The Horrors basically

holyzombiejesus

Won't contemplate even listening to Dave Kusworth because of his boring name. Won't listen to Nikki Sudden (despite loving other similar/ related stuff) because of his stupid name. Am generally loathe to listen to anything by an artist named '[name] & the [things]'. Reeks of horrible authenticity and balding Lovejoys raising a dram to their heroes.

EOLAN

Can we do individual performers.
Madonna for me for her name. Not that I am religious but taking a name strongly associated with a key Christian figure and overtaking maybe should be admired; but just really annoyed me. Of course later I found out she hadn't taken it in cunning as a stage name but instead was christened that by her parents; including her mother who is also called Madonna. My mindset is too entrenched to go back on it now.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: EOLAN on April 16, 2019, 01:33:04 PM
Of course later I found out she hadn't taken it in cunning as a stage name but instead was christened that by her parents; including her mother who is also called Madonna.

Erm, are you sure about that? (Or joking?)

Icehaven

Obviously manufactured controversy or bullshit to get a new band/artist some notoriety and attention. To be fair half the acts that have ever existed have tried this promotional approach, including some I do like, but I like them despite it and just try and forget the nonsense stories. If before even hearing a note of their stuff, I've read 10 times that the drummer might have been Prince Harry's drug dealer or the whole band are banned from Sweden for life or something it just feels try-hard, that they lack enough faith in their work to let it speak for itself and that they're just desperate for fame. Then there's its sadsack cousin the played-up sob story (although that's more a chart-oriented pop thing, which isn't really my bag anyway.)

I don't like nepotism at the best of times either so anyone being pushed through their connection or relation to an already famous musician just immediately makes me assume (probably unfairly at times) that they're coat tail swinging and they can do one. Deduct even more points for faux attempts to distance themselves from their famous relative/friend/ex which invariably just draw more attention to the connection.