Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:39:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Silly little things that mean you won't like a band

Started by holyzombiejesus, April 15, 2019, 09:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chriddof

Yeah, that's the good point I mentioned - but then in the comments it's just gone into this rock bore free-for-all. And I'd say it's more of a problem for rock than electronic stuff, where a certain amount of inhuman precision is acceptable.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 18, 2019, 12:50:04 PM
Is that the Teen Spirit chord progression? Of course, he did that on purpose, right?

Even Kurt said that teen spirit was a throwaway song he just threw out there (can't be bothered to find source so I could be wrong but teen spirit is trash from a genius)

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Chriddof on April 18, 2019, 09:12:43 PM
His video on "How Computers Ruined Rock Music" is annoying, though. There's some good points raised but it resulted in a bunch of musoish, rockist bunch of shite being splattered across the comments because people refuse to see any nuance in any argument whatsoever, and that title didn't help either. Not to mention the "electronic music isn't real music" nonsense is revived again.

Beato is my favourite youtube guy but I really do disagree with his views on programmed music. I would counter his argument with three letters. N.I.N.

Sebastian Cobb

Do these bores realise that all these 'classic' rock guys they worship have racks full of (what are essentially) computers like autotune and samplers and that polishing everything when they play live?

We already know Van Halen just use a sample for their synths in jump because someone played them off at the wrong sample rate and it made everything sound shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCIyeXn1sKQ

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 19, 2019, 03:51:48 PM
Do these bores realise that all these 'classic' rock guys they worship have racks full of (what are essentially) computers like autotune and samplers and that polishing everything when they play live?

We already know Van Halen just use a sample for their synths in jump because someone played them off at the wrong sample rate and it made everything sound shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCIyeXn1sKQ

These guys know that. These guys are museum curators and are important. All parts of the jigsaw puzzle as much as daft punk or aphex are all part of the same spreadsheet. It's the formula pop that is the real problem. And they are a problem. Imagine never being able to explore music. A living hell.

That video is hilarious though. Like one of those shreds youtube vids

Sebastian Cobb

Imagine not listening to Sisters of Mercy because of an irrational hatred of Doktor Avalanche, just imagine it.

Dr Syntax Head

This is actually my favourite video on youtube (don't judge me) but it has Beato being very enthusiastic about a very machine led song. I agree with his point that quantized beats do lose some of the 'groove' of live drums but everything has it's purpose. Except that chord progression talked about earlier. That needs to die.

I fucking love this so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmg9B5ooBsA

Captain Crunch

There's a Welsh band called Free Beer and Bacon. 

Anyway, I'll nominate:

*  Talking to the sound bloke
*  Leaving strings untrimmed
*  That crazy, wild, out of control singer who just HAS TO get in the crowd
*  Bands that disrupt the next lot by tossing about and chatting and getting the way instead of helping with the changeover
*  Anything remotely like Black Honey

I'll probably think of more later. 

lazyhour

When you say 'talking to the sound bloke' do you mean asking for changes to the sound, or just chatting? Cos both seem reasonable to me, especially the former!

Captain Crunch

It's when they talk to the sound lot and ignore the crowd.  Especially if they get a warm reception and one comes up to speak, rather than a bit of thanks, bit of an anecdote* he just goes "more bass on the monitor please".  Mainly because it's rude but also because there's nothing wrong with pointing and nodding. 

*  Like when one of The Cosmic Dead said "when I first met this guy (points), I thought his name was John.  Turns out his name is James".  Pure gold.   

Sebastian Cobb

My favorite sound bloke interaction was at an Aidan Moffat gig after he'd accidentally knocked something over and disconnected his harmonica mic.

'can you fade down the sure mic so I can plug it back in?'
'just stuff it back in mate'
<looks disgusted> 'for fuck's sake'

Hey, Punk!

If they're all skinny pouting sad boys. Only certain bands can attain the bleakness it requires to actually live up to a 'sad' image.

Icehaven

Overdoing the nonchalance. Anyone who's ever been in or spent any time around or knows the first thing about bands knows the effort, time, money and emotional investment it takes to make the music in the first place, get any gigs, and if you really put the hours in and get a huge dollop of luck on top, get anywhere whatsoever. So overplaying the shrugging ''Dunno we just turned up and messed around a bit and now everyone loves us.'' thing is just disingenuous bollocks. If you want to look like you're way too cool to try or care, don't choose to do something where everyone knows you have to do both those of things in spades to get anywhere.   

Jockice

Quote from: Hey, Punk! on April 23, 2019, 10:36:33 PM
If they're all skinny pouting sad boys. Only certain bands can attain the bleakness it requires to actually live up to a 'sad' image.

One of my favourite quotes by a musician ever was by Andy Cairns of Therapy? who pointed out that the real angry outsider isn't the tall, thin, good-looking guy with a few tattoos and piercings, it's the little fat bloke with specs and an anorak....

McFlymo

Fuck that Rick Beato guy. Smug cunt making arguments that every bore who works in a guitar shop would throw out.

If you want a good youtube guy talking about music, check out Adam Neely. His staring down the lens is tiresome, but he has great and informative things to say about all sorts of music.

Also, that "Four Chords" thing isn't new:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: McFlymo on April 25, 2019, 10:30:28 PM
Also, that "Four Chords" thing isn't new:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I

But Beato acknowledges the Axis of Awesome video 15 seconds into his.

Clownbaby

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on April 16, 2019, 10:34:24 PM
Anything resembling comedy music. I've seen pics of Devo, and know not to bother with their music, so I suppose they have done me a courtesy.

I would normally agree about daft looking bands but there's a creepiness to Devo which doesn't count them in this group for me.

phantom_power

Devo are in no way comedy music. They are bizarre and ridiculous and fun but not comedy

Clownbaby

Quote from: phantom_power on April 26, 2019, 11:47:08 AM
Devo are in no way comedy music. They are bizarre and ridiculous and fun but not comedy

Agree. Humorous music is not the same as comedy music

DrGreggles

I suppose I like the idea of Devo on paper. They're the sort of band that have certainly influenced lots of stuff that I like, and sound interesting, but I see photos of them and have a real visceral reaction of 'Fuck this - not for me'.

Tangentially related, I also utterly loathe incongruous genre blending of the sort that sees hahahah-random-cunts go 'Have you heard this? It's mental!'. I'm talking the likes of Hayseed Dixie and so on, but anything where there seems to be a novelty aspect in clashing styles or aesthetics.

There's a few bands I otherwise like that do it on occasion, such as Faith No More who were incredibly influential with Angel Dust, but there are bits of it I find just too galling. Likewise, I saw someone (Nags?) express love for SOAD's first album, but I utterly hated that sound at the time, and have only slightly softened now. While not a major fan, I can listen to some of the later stuff, but that first album just sounds like Polka Metal to me, and I really don't like it. I'm a bit of a stickler for heavy music sounding full of dread anyway so avoid anything that drifts too major, and will also add a dislike for guitar bands doing especially incongruous covers of pop songs too. "Have you heard this speed metal version of Hit Me Baby One More Time?". "No, and I really don't fucking want to". Being a dreadful hypocrite, I'm sure there are a few exceptions though.

Rambling stream of consciousness of awesome opinions... and post.

MidnightShambler

I've just read that bit about Pinegrove and I've become consumed with rage.

McFlymo

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on April 25, 2019, 11:26:11 PM
But Beato acknowledges the Axis of Awesome video 15 seconds into his.

Well that's just because you're being totally reasonable and I'm clearly a reactionary dick. Like, jeez.

flotemysost

Another shout for the twee names, especially those based on some sort of fictional folksy provincial organisation - Keston Cobblers Club, Mumford and Sons, Bombay Bicycle Club, etc. If someone told me that film The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was about a shit jangly indie band I'd believe them.

sponk

Took me years to give Super Furry Animals a proper listen because I'd always associated them with britpop and especially the Stone Roses. They're now one of my favourite bands.

Yeah, I saw SFA live before hearing a peep out of them. There's a few barriers to me getting into them otherwise ( hints of humour, song titles like Venus and Serena, cartoonish album covers), but they are absolutely phenomenal.

Bently Sheds

If my sister likes them: grave
If my brother likes them: mostly grave, occasionally genius

kalowski

Quote from: sponk on April 26, 2019, 09:23:46 PM
Took me years to give Super Furry Animals a proper listen because I'd always associated them with britpop and especially the Stone Roses. They're now one of my favourite bands.
SFA are the exception to many of the aforementioned rules: stupid name, cartoonish albums etc.
But fucking great.

Jockice

I could never get into SFA (or indeed Eels) because someone I REALLY dislike was a fan of theirs.