Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:02:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Silly little things that mean you won't like a band

Started by holyzombiejesus, April 15, 2019, 09:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

Making a music video with someone who shagged my girlfriend when I was in uni.

gilbertharding

The drummer wears finger less cycling or weightlifting gloves. Or looks as if he might.

samadriel

Quote from: RicoMNKN on April 16, 2019, 12:25:38 PM
No one in a band should ever do weight training - pumped-up members in a band photo make the band look terrible.

I'd get a right talking-to if I was a member of Manowar.

Names: Johnny Hates Jazz emerged at a time I was listening to jazz a great deal. Even if I hadn't been, the sweeping dismissal of such a massive art form, which was already 70 years old at that point, was worthy of the death penalty.

Dress: In retrospect, I should have avoided Morrissey with a bargepole due to the cardigans and hearing aid, but I was already hooked on the music of The Smith before I ever saw his photo.

Politics: Lynyrd Skynyrd, Gary Numan, although I give Bowie a free pass despite his Nazi-dabbling period.

king_tubby

Quote from: RicoMNKN on April 16, 2019, 12:25:38 PM
No one in a band should ever do weight training - pumped-up members in a band photo make the band look terrible.

Rollins.

holyzombiejesus

Was put off Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever because ginger haired guy looks like a meathead and the guy on the right reminds me of John Torode. Bought the album, saw a photo, left LP by the record player for 6 months. It's ace but they look horrible. Bizarrely, it wasn't the guy in glasses who put me off listening to them.

Thank God I didn't see what Hot Chip looked like before getting a chance to hear them.

Dr Syntax Head

The motive for making the musics. Some bands you just know are vanity projects and they can all do one.

Weird voices that are beyond quirky and just crap (e.g. the rat faced molko mentioned above). Corgan and Farrell get away with it I love their vocals.

Members overly hyped as 'the nicest dude in rock'. See grohl man the mannest rock man in all rock man world.

Clownbaby

Millenial whooping as said earlier

Obviously going for the "if you like (insert cool and popular band) you'll like us" sound. AHEM ROYAL BLOOD

I could tell I was going to hate The 1975 the moment I saw them and they sound exactly like they look, which is shit.

The more brown and beige a band wears the less good they sound to me, there always seems to be a real correlation between earth tones and music I don't like.

Awolnation arent anything to write home about but have the odd track I enjoy but I can't warm to them because the lead singer won't shut up about surfing in practically every interview. Maybe it's not his fault. Maybe the interviewers keep asking him about surfing, I don't know.

Some people can enjoy an album if the music is beautifully played and mixed but the singer has a tedious voice but for me the voice will.completely make or break my opinion of a band. I don't care how the rest of it sounds if I'm not into the voice

Clownbaby

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on April 16, 2019, 03:26:32 PM
Members overly hyped as 'the nicest dude in rock'.

And doesn't he fucking know it. I think he's alright but that doesn't make Foo Fighters any less samey

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Clownbaby on April 16, 2019, 03:29:34 PM
And doesn't he fucking know it. I think he's alright but that doesn't make Foo Fighters any less samey

Dead on, it's the self awareness of that image that vexes me. There are musicians out there that have made far greater contributions to to the world both musically and socially than grohl. But he had a kid play a Metallica song on stage and gave him a guitar. Nicest man in rock there the fucking self serving, vain cockend. There are a few Foo Fighters songs I quite like but my life won't be any worse if I never hear them again. The magnolia emulsion of rock music.

Puce Moment

Some of these don't seem silly at all - they seem perfectly reasonable.

One silly thing that puts me off a band is a pun band name.

Also, when bands do that drummy big ending to song thing, where they all look at each other and play one final note. I remember Kim Deal back in the day saying that Pixies would never do this and I have noticed it ever since as a really shlocky thing. Fine when I am watching Toots and the Maytals or The Pogues, not so great when I am watching contemporary music.

EOLAN

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 16, 2019, 01:49:33 PM
Erm, are you sure about that? (Or joking?)

Could be fooled by her Wikipedia bio I guess.

New Page  - Re: Madonna (the singer) having a birth or stage name.

kalowski

Having Manic or Street or Preachers in their name.

Pauline Walnuts

Having the word 'Shit' in the group name.

Having the words 'Jesus' or 'Christ' in the group name. Only after about 2000 for that one, MC 900 ft. Jesus is my Jesus

MidnightShambler

Another one for try-hard names, here. I can't ever imagine saying 'I've just got tickets to see Carseat Headrest' or 'have you heard the new Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly album?'

I mean, I find some of the stupid ones funny (well, ish) like Anal Cunt but that's not supposed to be taken seriously so I can handle it but Joe Lean And The Jing Jang Jong? Fuck off.

I know I'm in the minority here (well maybe not here but generally) but I always thought Arctic Monkeys was a fucking shite name and never got past it really.

boki

Quote from: MidnightShambler on April 16, 2019, 05:10:47 PM
I know I'm in the minority here (well maybe not here but generally) but I always thought Arctic Monkeys was a fucking shite name and never got past it really.
I've mellowed on it now, but referencing monkeys was pretty much the 'wacky' in-thing around the time they came out, wasn't it?  Before it moved on to pirates and zombies an' that. Plus, they were kids, so I reckon that's excusable.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: boki on April 16, 2019, 05:18:03 PM
I've mellowed on it now, but referencing monkeys was pretty much the 'wacky' in-thing around the time they came out, wasn't it?  Before it moved on to pirates and zombies an' that. Plus, they were kids, so I reckon that's excusable.

I dunno, I'm a bit older than them so maybe I don't remember that being a thing but, even if it was, that sort of makes it worse, you shouldn't have a 'current' name, it'll make you sound outdated and shite later on, which to be fair they managed with their music alone.

He's got form for it as well, 'The Last Shadow Puppets' is atrocious too.

jobotic

Half Man Half Biscuit?

Great band but the rules above say otherwise. I'm being facetious really as I agree with you all. What's that newer psyche sounding band with an awful whacky each-word-sounds-similar name? They may be good but i'm not bothered.

Dr Syntax Head

Not having manic or street or preachers in their name

DrGreggles

ersatz99

Random umlauts in the band name requiring interviewers to ask how it's pronounced.

holyzombiejesus

Talking of shorts, I went to see a band I really liked called The Tyde at ATP and their singer was wearing some horrible cut off denim shorts on stage. This was in Minehead in December too, so I guess they were stage clothes and he was trying to get a kind of Californian beach bum slacker vibe thing going. Unfortunately, he just looked like an even sleazier Matthew Corbett. Talk about a nightmare before Christmas.

EDIT: Proof.

alan nagsworth

^ Yeah, that is grossly unacceptable.

This certainly isn't a silly thing, but if an artists criticises another artist - or worse, an entire style or generation - I'm fuckin' out. Like when ageing rock mega stars listen to 6 Music and come out saying music isn't dangerous any more. This is definitely not a severe, condemnable opinion and by all means you could look past it, but I can't. Grow the fuck up.

DrGreggles

Quote from: ersatz99 on April 16, 2019, 06:44:24 PM
Random umlauts in the band name requiring interviewers to ask how it's pronounced.

Aye. Cünts.

the ouch cube

This is obviously racist/regionalist of me, but if a new group is from Manchester or anywhere near, I get suspicious immediately because there's always a higher than average chance they might be involved in peddling Oasis/Stone Roses professional northern monkey man football wanker music and/or the latest re-heating of the sodding baggy beat ("the little British drumbeat" as Steve Albini calls it) which they'll sometimes try and make out is a new sonic innovation from the latest hiphop but is clearly just the same sound, the same old sound

The Lion King

If a band or a person has a name too similar to someone already in existence I tend to steer clear. Mac Miller? No, there's already Marcus Miller thank you very much. I realise how ridiculous this is.

Dr Sanchez

Rock / indie bands with two drummers or percussionists.

Fuck right off.