Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:30:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Silly little things that mean you won't like a band

Started by holyzombiejesus, April 15, 2019, 09:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

It's generally a bad sign for me when a lead singer steps onto the stage carrying a pair of maracas.

Any kind of hat or cap in a band member, especially (but not exclusively) the lead singer, although there are honourable exceptions like, obviously, The Wailers.

(I'm actually a little racist on this - hat or cap is OK on black musicians, atrocious on white ones).

Any form of cultural appropriation, even if done sincerely.

the science eel

SpiderChrist

My mate wants me to listen to a band called Mammoth Penguins. Ain't gonna happen.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: The Lion King on April 16, 2019, 07:00:41 PM
If a band or a person has a name too similar to someone already in existence I tend to steer clear. Mac Miller? No, there's already Marcus Miller thank you very much. I realise how ridiculous this is.

No, that's great. It's just the kind of thing that I started this thread for.

Quote from: jobotic on April 16, 2019, 05:32:28 PM
What's that newer psyche sounding band with an awful whacky each-word-sounds-similar name? They may be good but i'm not bothered.

King Gizzard and the Wizard Lizard?

Yeah, they seem quite good but that name is a bit of a barrier.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on April 16, 2019, 08:25:47 PM
King Gizzard and the Wizard Lizard?

Yeah, they seem quite good but that name is a bit of a barrier.

Their name is actually quite appropriate as it matches their music, in that most of the words sounds the same but in a pleasantly attention-grabbing way. (I like this band but I'd be the first to admit that whilst they're highly prolific and fun, they're not quite the musical geniuses their hardcore fans would have you believe. They're just hard-working.)

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Dr Sanchez on April 16, 2019, 07:08:36 PM
Rock / indie bands with two drummers or percussionists.

Fuck right off.

Two drummers has never been bad. Melvins/Big Business, Melvins/Fantomas, The Go! Team, Thee Oh Sees, Liars during the "Drums Not Dead" period, Do Make Say Think, uhh... King Gizzard, lol... all belters.

DrGreggles

king_tubby

If they're obviously mates of music journalists.

Fat White Family, to give a current example.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 16, 2019, 09:03:43 PM
Adam and The Ants!

Fuckin right.

Something that really irks me is when someone is being way too enthusiastic about music before I've checked it out. Play it down, man. Be cool. A classic example is New Years Day a few years back, when I'd passed out at a house party and woke up to it still going strong around me. There was a guy just sort of idling at the foot of my bed like one of the zombies out of The Ocarina of Time, tweaked out and just waiting for someone to latch onto and spew words into their brain. I was barely sat up for ten seconds when he swoops in on me all "HERE D'YE LIKE SWANS?" and a load of completely incomprehensible patter about them (because his blisteringly fast drug-addled Irish accent was flashing at me like a person doing sign language in front of a strobe light), and it's taken me from that time until a couple months ago to even consider touching Swans with a fucking barge pole as a result.

kalowski

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 16, 2019, 09:14:14 PM
Fuckin right.

Something that really irks me is when someone is being way too enthusiastic about music before I've checked it out. Play it down, man. Be cool. A classic example is New Years Day a few years back, when I'd passed out at a house party and woke up to it still going strong around me. There was a guy just sort of idling at the foot of my bed like one of the zombies out of The Ocarina of Time, tweaked out and just waiting for someone to latch onto and spew words into their brain. I was barely sat up for ten seconds when he swoops in on me all "HERE D'YE LIKE SWANS?" and a load of completely incomprehensible patter about them (because his blisteringly fast drug-addled Irish accent was flashing at me like a person doing sign language in front of a strobe light), and it's taken me from that time until a couple months ago to even consider touching Swans with a fucking barge pole as a result.
I hate it when bands don't use "The" when they should.

"Here's Helena Rigby by Beatles"

king_tubby

Oh yeah, apropos of nothing to do with Alan's last post, when it turns out people in a band are rapists.

I suppose that's not actually a silly little thing, but you'd be amazed how many people are prepared to overlook this.

kalowski

Quote from: king_tubby on April 16, 2019, 09:28:16 PM
Oh yeah, apropos of nothing to do with Alan's last post, when it turns out people in a band are rapists.

I suppose that's not actually a silly little thing, but you'd be amazed how many people are prepared to overlook this.
Like who?

Anything resembling comedy music. I've seen pics of Devo, and know not to bother with their music, so I suppose they have done me a courtesy.

Dr Sanchez

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 16, 2019, 08:56:34 PM
Two drummers has never been bad. Melvins/Big Business, Melvins/Fantomas, The Go! Team, Thee Oh Sees, Liars during the "Drums Not Dead" period, Do Make Say Think, uhh... King Gizzard, lol... all belters.

Well I'll never know because two drummers is stupid innit.

Pauline Walnuts

The Glitter Band

Quote from: king_tubby on April 16, 2019, 09:28:16 PM

err....

alan nagsworth

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on April 16, 2019, 10:34:24 PM
Anything resembling comedy music. I've seen pics of Devo, and know not to bother with their music, so I suppose they have done me a courtesy.

I... I'm not sure how to process this information

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on April 16, 2019, 10:34:24 PM

Hmmmmm.

non capisco

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 16, 2019, 09:14:14 PM
Something that really irks me is when someone is being way too enthusiastic about music before I've checked it out.

You did eventually listen to The Blind Shake, to be fair.

Golden E. Pump

If they come across as too humble, or (as is more likely), pretending to be too humble.

I want batshit insane pop stars who come across as aliens, thank you very much. I don't want them posting a picture of them with their Mum on Twitter.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: non capisco on April 17, 2019, 12:18:23 AM
You did eventually listen to The Blind Shake, to be fair.

I even pretended I liked them just to humour you! That's how good a friend I am.

ArtParrott

I don't know what you'd call it, but bands who stylise the spelling of their name differently. Examples include Chvrches and Alvvays*. Trying to make their shit name slightly more interesting and failing.

*Alvvays are actually ok but my point still stands.

ajsmith2

Quote from: ArtParrott on April 17, 2019, 08:04:25 AM
I don't know what you'd call it, but bands who stylise the spelling of their name differently. Examples include Chvrches and Alvvays*. Trying to make their shit name slightly more interesting and failing.

*Alvvays are actually ok but my point still stands.

That main reason they do that is to help narrow down Google searches. You may still think it looks shit (and you could also argue they should have chosen a less common name in the first place) but the point remains that it's done primarily for a practical reason. and not as a pretentious affectation.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: ersatz99 on April 16, 2019, 06:44:24 PM
Random umlauts in the band name requiring interviewers to ask how it's pronounced.

Symbols instead of words. That nearly put me off !!! (hipster twats I thought) then I heard them and are now a major favourite of mine. But yeah try too hard name.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on April 16, 2019, 05:09:45 PM
Having the word 'Shit' in the group name.

Having the words 'Jesus' or 'Christ' in the group name. Only after about 2000 for that one, MC 900 ft. Jesus is my Jesus

MC 900ft Jesus is a class name. So is Jesus and Mary chain. But only those two.

Dr Syntax Head

Warlocks

ArtParrott

Quote from: ajsmith2 on April 17, 2019, 09:08:17 AM
That main reason they do that is to help narrow down Google searches. You may still think it looks shit (and you could also argue they should have chosen a less common name in the first place) but the point remains that it's done primarily for a practical reason. and not as a pretentious affectation.

Ok, fair point. But I'd counter that no one forced them to pick a single word name that made such a tactic necessary.

SteveDave

Quote from: king_tubby on April 16, 2019, 09:05:18 PM
If they're obviously mates of music journalists.

Fat White Family, to give a current example.

Eli Dingle fronts Earl Brutus