Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:50:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Difficulty in Games [split topic]

Started by Moribunderast, April 16, 2019, 07:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timothy

In the are videogames art and difficulty discussion an interesting quote from Metal Gear Solid's Kojima.

QuoteIn a 2006 interview with US Official PlayStation 2 Magazine, game designer Hideo Kojima agreed with Ebert's assessment that video games are not art. Kojima acknowledged that games may contain artwork, but he stressed the intrinsically popular nature of video games in contrast to the niche interests served by art. Since the highest ideal of all video games is to achieve 100% player satisfaction whereas art is targeted to at least one person, Kojima argued that video game creation is more of a service than an artistic endeavor.   

In that light adding an easy mode would be logical.

I fundamentally disagree with his assertion that the highest ideal of video games is to achieve 100% player satisfaction and I probably know best because I've played a lot of video games. Interesting also that he directly referenced my post from earlier in this thread where I said that games are an artistic and commercial endeavour, not a service, and he flipped it on its head. Also very funny that this has come from Kojima whose art is targeted primarily at Kojima.

Timothy

Not sure if I completely agree with Kojima but its sure an interesting viewpoint.