Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:36:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

League Of Gentlemen Live Again (Easter Sunday 10pm)

Started by Malcy, April 16, 2019, 10:09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

BBC2 are showing this on Sunday. Hour long so probably a cut down version.

holyzombiejesus

I got the DVD for Christmas and, whilst I imagine it was great if you were there, I thought it was fucking shit. Absolutely awful. Can't remember why though - may have been in a bad mood - so can't really explain any further. Sorry.

neveragain

Hmm. I didn't think it was their best show but still very enjoyable. Perhaps it would have been nicer with less old material but it was a celebratory thing. Then again I did see it live so may have got swept up in the atmosphere.

Clownbaby

I loved seeing it live as I never thought I'd ever get to see The League Of Gentlemen in the flesh, I thought the rehashing old material was absolutely fine cause I got to see what was in their live show the first time round. Might watch it on telly instead of buying it live on DVD or at least wait for that to go down in price a bit

St_Eddie

I loved it on the evening, when seeing it live.  Rewatching it on DVD, it's okay but nowhere near as entertaining as in person.  That's to be expected though, really.

neveragain

They're probably just going to show the second act, which would be a shame as my favourite sketch of the night was in the first (game show contestants). Ollie Plimsolls was good value too.

neveragain

Enjoyed that. Great fun.

I remember being confused by the Pauline section (regarding how she dies) but the Geoff sketch does establish that in this version Geoff didn't go on his mission. Still think that sketch should have ended with Geoff being shot.

Also, Pauline refers to an earlier sketch (though it is rewritten to seem more old-fashioned) as being from Series One - but it was Series Two! Oh dear, how sad I am. In addition, Ross Gaines suffers the same fate as the Scottish detective in Psychoville.

More (slight) negatives: It's not their best live show; the first was a brilliant mix of old and new, high and low-brow. Perhaps over-reliant on the crude. Most of the practical effects lose their impact in the journey from stage to screen. The ending is very rushed.