Author Topic: Back To Life  (Read 4125 times)

Re: Back To Life
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2021, 12:31:57 PM »
Hadn't heard of this and now disappointed its not about a bit of 80's R&B nostaligia. 1/10.

Shameless Custard

• PAUSE FOR THE JET
    • LastFM
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2021, 12:14:01 PM »
Yeah, this is a pretty good show. Only watched the first series a few months back, so this second run is nice to see so soon

I like that it's funny and can be a bit daft yet is mostly grounded and realistic, and as others have said Ade Edmondson is really good as the vengeful dad

Quite like that her dad is getting more things to do this time, and his reactions whenever he sees the man who had an affair with his wife. "Is that a quiche?"

icehaven

• WORLD'S BIGGEST RIP OFF: $100 PER PERSON
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2021, 09:40:39 PM »
Didn't like the second series. The lesser characters' (probation officer, dad, bank teller, WI members) unreasonability and obnoxiousness was distractingly irritating. Lot of time filling drone beach shots too, whole story could have been an hour.

Malcy

• This is a Post Office isn't it?
    • Twitter
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2021, 09:54:45 PM »
Rewatched the first series at the weekend thinking I couldn't remember most of what happened but after watching realised I did and really enjoyed it all over again. Went straight into series 2 and thought that was great as well.

All the characters are great and it was good to see the parents get a more substantial role this time around. The dad is like a cross between Bill Nighy and the guy who plays Lucy's dad in Not Going Out. I'd happily welcome a 3rd series and know Haggard has an idea in mind.

Ade Edmondson is a great on screen presence. Haven't seen him outside of much else rather than the obvious but in this and Eastenders he's been brilliant. Useless cop is always good value too. Don't know how much input Haggard had in the casting but it's always spot on.

I didn't realise it was going to continue pretty much where the 1st series left off which was a nice surprise and worked well when rewatching the 1st series right before the 2nd.

Jo Martin's character is great too. And I like how the show is creative with it's swearing at times as well.

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2021, 02:55:08 PM »
Series 1 I really liked and series 2 I thought was almost as good, though I agree there was a bit of stretching out of the story. It perhaps lost something in the atmosphere it had in the first, but that was probably inevitable as she became more certain of how she now fitted in and the people she could trust - or not. Do hope there will be a third series.

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2021, 07:31:52 PM »
Enjoyed both series.
Not sure it needs a third one though. Feels like it's run its course now.

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2021, 07:59:42 PM »
...Ade Edmondson is a great on screen presence. Haven't seen him outside of much else rather than the obvious but in this and Eastenders he's been brilliant. Useless cop is always good value too. Don't know how much input Haggard had in the casting but it's always spot on...

Because of Haggard's role, I would expect that she has a fair bit of influence -  however, she did mention about how they got Edmondson involved, during a recent interview: https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/comedy/daisy-haggard-back-to-life-big-rt-interview/...

re: Edmondson - he's been really in everything I've seen him. Absolutely loved him in the War and Peace series a few years ago.

*edit* sorry - didn't mean to cut out your comment about a third series - Haggard discusses this in the interview too.

Malcy

• This is a Post Office isn't it?
    • Twitter
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2021, 08:16:14 PM »
Because of Haggard's role, I would expect that she has a fair bit of influence -  however, she did mention about how they got Edmondson involved, during a recent interview: https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/comedy/daisy-haggard-back-to-life-big-rt-interview/...

re: Edmondson - he's been really in everything I've seen him. Absolutely loved him in the War and Peace series a few years ago.

*edit* sorry - didn't mean to cut out your comment about a third series - Haggard discusses this in the interview too.

Great thanks, I forgot to go back and read that interview. Didn't want to before watching the 2nd series.

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2021, 04:10:41 PM »
Great line from Ep 5, when seeing a single magpie, and one I shall now be using in future:
"Fuck off, or come back with a friend"

Tags: