Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,477
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:12:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cerny talks PS5

Started by biggytitbo, April 16, 2019, 02:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

He gives away a few interesting details here for what will probably be the last Playsation - https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

Apart from the usual faster processor and graphics, the big thing he's hinting at is it has some kind of special new SSD that will make load times super fast. Also nice to see it will be a disc based system and will play PS4 games, so has an instant library. There are rumours that it will also play all playstation games - PS1, 2 and 3 which would be amazing, but I'll believe it when I see it.

This actually sound like quite a step forward but with lots of features that I'd actually like, as well. I'm surprised, pleasantly surprised. Feels good to be surprised.

A summary nicked from elsewhere:

- Revolution not evolution.

- Will have a solid state drive with bandwidth faster than any SSD in any current PC.

- The SSD will transform how quickly data can be streamed and will improve load times massively from current titles.

- The PS5 will support 8K.

- Will also support current PSVR, a future version of which is heavily implied but not yet being revealed.

- Supports ray tracing, which seems to be a big focus of new graphics and (intriguingly) audio.

- Jump in audio quality will 'redefine what sound can do in a videogame'. Much bigger than the leap from PS3 to PS4, and is a focus of the machine. Hardware resources being thrown at audio.

- Backwards compatible with PS4 software.

- Not out this year.

biggytitbo

I'm glad it has a disc drive and will play PS4 games, but the other features he talks about sound like it might be PS3 launch price expensive, which almost killed that console.  A mainstream console can't be more than about £300-350 can it? If this has a super fast SSD in and all the new CPUs and GPUs gubbins it's hard to see how it can avoid the the £425 ballpark the PS3 launched at. Unless they're willing to lose shed loads of cash on it.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Are loading times that much of an issue? I haven't found them particularly noticeable since the PS1.

I'm saying FIVE HUNDRED QUID for this. I'll be there day one, trade in the Pro and PSVR which are both SHIT.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 16, 2019, 03:30:35 PM
Are loading times that much of an issue? I haven't found them particularly noticeable since the PS1.

When I was player Witcher 3, it took about a minute for it to reload every time i died which was quite annoying, so it'll definetly be a welcome feature if its not hyperbole.

Oh, it's hyperbole. From experience on the PC, there's a benefit for game loading times when moving from HDD to SSD, but it's not as dramatic as you'd hope. It's about a quarter to a third faster depending on exactly what's being loaded and how it's being processed. On top of that, the jump from an entry-level SATA3 SSD to a top of the range NVMe SSD is barely perceivable. I ended up taking all my games off my SSD and put them back on a hard drive.

Here's a reasonably decent benchmark;

https://www.legitreviews.com/game-load-time-benchmarking-shootout-six-ssds-one-hdd_204468

I presume they'll be using this as their dick waving spec, as they did with GDDR5 in the PS4. It's a nice thing to have, but it'll be bottle-necked elsewhere, no doubt.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I guess Bloodborne was a bit of a piss take with the reloading times, but it doesn't seem like a major selling point for a new console (or even a minor one, for that matter). I'd be much more interested to hear about some fancy new physics processor or something.

biggytitbo

Most ps4 users are on mechanical laptop drives so it'll be a good performance boost in any case, and maybe they have some secret sauce on the software side too.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 16, 2019, 04:40:25 PM
I guess Bloodborne was a bit of a piss take with the reloading times, but it doesn't seem like a major selling point for a new console (or even a minor one, for that matter). I'd be much more interested to hear about some fancy new physics processor or something.

From what I read about the PS4 Cerny bases his designs around what developers are asking for, so presumably faster storage was a big thing this time. There's also the fact they need some hardware innovation somewhere as cpu and gpu wise they are pretty much limited by what amd have ready in time, and to price. That's prob why he was pushing this and the sound thing he was on about.

Sin Agog

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 16, 2019, 02:37:37 PM
He gives away a few interesting details here for what will probably be the last Playsation

Enjoy the party while it lasts, it's all Workstation 1-to-5 after this.

Malcy

Isn't 8k a bit pointless? I think I read somewhere that humans can't really see that much difference, if any, between 4k & 8k resolution.

Just make good games and stop trying to make everything look realistic as fuck. I suppose this means GTA 6 being a PS5 exclusive launch game is false.

Malcy

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 16, 2019, 03:28:42 PM
I'm glad it has a disc drive and will play PS4 games, but the other features he talks about sound like it might be PS3 launch price expensive, which almost killed that console.  A mainstream console can't be more than about £300-350 can it? If this has a super fast SSD in and all the new CPUs and GPUs gubbins it's hard to see how it can avoid the the £425 ballpark the PS3 launched at. Unless they're willing to lose shed loads of cash on it.

Was the PS3 not basically selling at a loss for the first year or so because it was so expensive to make and they had to make it somewhat affordable to sell?

biggytitbo

It can't be actual 8k, I don't think even the most high end £2000 gaming pc can run games at anything like 8k. Prob the same kind of upsxaling thing they do with 4k now.

Blue Jam

Fry

Ooh fuck, PS4 backwards compatibility? That's what I like to see. Been meaning to get a PS4 for ages now but never got around to it, so many great games I've yet to try. Might sack it off and get one of these on launch, not like the post launch games draught will be affecting me much. I still haven't played Bloodbourne for fucks sake.