Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:35:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Missing People - New Bela Tarr film

Started by chveik, April 16, 2019, 10:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinsonyo

Your website is a good web site. There are many useful information for us.

Lost Oliver

Only heard of him last week when I downloaded Sátántangó (just because of the length) and now this. Is he someone to look out for?

greenman

Quote from: Lost Oliver on April 18, 2019, 07:49:02 AM
Only heard of him last week when I downloaded Sátántangó (just because of the length) and now this. Is he someone to look out for?

Cryptic B&W arthouse films known for having very long takes focused heavily on atmosphere, to give a lazy "a bit like" description imagine Tarkovsky mixed with Lynch.

Not seen Santantango but Wrekmeister Harmonies(the more surreal side) or Damnation(more down at heel grit) seem like a good place to start.

Lost Oliver

Thanks man, will check out Damnation first then.

Thursday

Discovered Tarr over the last year, one of my best discoveries. I found something about his style easier to concentrate on, where more conventional films would have my mind wandering all over the place.

Damnation is the one I saw first, but Wrekmeister Harmonies is his best I think.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: greenman on April 18, 2019, 08:57:04 AM
Tarkovsky mixed with Lynch.

Only the most perfect movie ever made could come from this

rasta-spouse

What happened to Tarr's retirement? I thought he'd set up a school.

Also what do people think of Tarr's naturalistic early pre-oner films?

chveik

Quote from: rasta-spouse on April 19, 2019, 04:59:42 PM
What happened to Tarr's retirement? I thought he'd set up a school.

Also what do people think of Tarr's naturalistic early pre-oner films?

he did, it was a bit of a failure apparently.

I like them a lot, especially The Outsider and Almanac of Fall (well I dunno if naturalistic's the right word for this one).

edit: there are absolutely no influences of Lynch (or recent American cinema for that matter) on his work.  (besides he started to make films before Lynch). look at his top 10 in Sight and Sound's survey if you want to see where he "comes from":
https://thependragonsociety.com/bela-tarr-sight-sound-top-10-films/

rasta-spouse

Quote from: chveik on April 19, 2019, 05:19:11 PM
he did, it was a bit of a failure apparently.

Is that why he's back making films?

I've only ever read one interview with Tarr, and that was (around 2010, turin horse time) where he went on about retirement and setting up a film school. I was really surprised by how cynical, hard on himself, and un-pretentious he came across. Quite liked his vibe.

DukeDeMondo

The Turin Horse is one of my favourite films of the past however long. Absolutely incredible. I don't know why he opted to just keep looping those same few seconds of wind noise over and over. Strange sort of decision, and it sort of annoyed me a bit at first, but then it started to make some sort of sense, somehow.

In any case, the opening is just phenomenal. One of the most arresting openings of any film I've ever seen. We're fucking in for something here, alright, is what it says, in its way.

Keep some spuds nearby if you're watching it for the first time, is my advice. You'll be foaming at the mouth for a feed of spuds by the end.

Thursday

I'd love someone to make a list of Top 10 or maybe just 5 Foods in Bela Tarr films. Spuds would obviously win.

Much harder to decide would be "Best scene of someone walking through the street for several minutes"

Z

Quote from: Lost Oliver on April 18, 2019, 09:26:23 AM
Thanks man, will check out Damnation first then.
don't, he's still finding his voice with Damnation.

Werckmeister Harmonies and the Turin horse, in that order. You might hate them but it'd be hard to deny just how distinctive he is. Damnation on the other hand might just feel like exactly what you'd expect from a slow paced monochromatic east European film about unlikeable people.

Asides from one infuriating sound loop, I absolutely love the Turin Horse and it's my personal favorite.

Lost Oliver

Sold. I can't wait. Don't think I've been this excited about seeing a new director.

Z

Quote from: Lost Oliver on April 20, 2019, 10:48:14 AM
Sold. I can't wait. Don't think I've been this excited about seeing a new director.
really though, if you get a chance to see him in cinema instead, go for it. I'd've been on my phone ten minutes into the turin horse at home. Bela Tarr takes slow paced to a whole other place.

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on April 20, 2019, 02:22:51 AM

Keep some spuds nearby if you're watching it for the first time, is my advice. You'll be foaming at the mouth for a feed of spuds by the end.
Man, maybe it's because it was a bit too close to the kind of dinners I grew up with, but I thought those potatoes were amongst the most misanthropic things I've ever seen in a film.