Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:38:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Big Break Official Thread

Started by madhair60, April 17, 2019, 03:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

I remember the show featuring a lot of female pro snooker players. I remember this because my mother always used to whine about how stupid she thought they looked, dressing in trousers and waistcoats like the male players, as if a pretty dress or skirt wouldn't be massively impractical for a sport where the players have to bend over a table...

Anyway, I remember it being surprisingly progressive for a 1990's show presented by Jim Davidson...

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Mr Banlon on April 17, 2019, 07:02:55 PM
Nearly as bad as Full Swing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6svRbCgDm8w

I have a soft spot for Full Swing as it must have looked great on paper but it's pathetic in execution. The first round where it was all simulated worked well and a whole show like that might have been a winner as it was genuinely exciting at the time. There was just no getting around the fact that golf couldn't be transferred to a television studio, not even with Tarby trying his best and making lots of jokes about Kenny Lynch's handicap.

finnquark

Jim welcoming a wheelchair user with the remark 'oh I see you've brought your own chair!'

dr beat

Put that opening Tarbuck spiel next to a Trump speech and try and see the difference. Its uncanny.   Its the delivery.

Jerzy Bondov

If a golf ball smashed into a flying bird it would not knock off its feathers and make it look embarrassed. The bird would be obliterated. Again, a golf ball falling from a great height onto a cow's head would almost certainly fracture its skull. Very distressing imagery with which to begin a light-hearted golf-based game show.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

See also fish choking to death, instead of spitting out the thing in a jolly "'ere's your ball, mister!" manner. Three dead creatures, right there. Fucking Hell.

Blue Jam

Quote from: the on April 17, 2019, 04:16:29 PM
The nasty Tory cousin of Bullseye.

I have just learned that The Snooker Song was written by Mike Batt. I might have guessed he'd be involved...

Blue Jam

Quote from: finnquark on April 18, 2019, 01:00:58 AM
Jim welcoming a wheelchair user with the remark 'oh I see you've brought your own chair!'

Did he then walk off and refuse to do the show, claiming the wheelchair user had an undue privilege which  wasn't fair on the able-bodied contestants?

It looks like all of series 1 is on YouTube and last night I watched a few bits, just to see which players appeared (Ray Reardon, Alex Higgins, Tony Knowles and Alison Fisher among others). Every time Jim talks to a contestant and they tell him they're from Wales he starts going "I bet you'd love to play with Terry Griffiths, wouldn't you?" and making lazy jokes about Welsh stereotypes in a crap Welsh accent. I couldn't watch any more because I kept inwardly screaming "FUCK OFF"

How did someone this charmless get this big in thw 1990's?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on April 18, 2019, 09:05:01 AM
If a golf ball smashed into a flying bird it would not knock off its feathers and make it look embarrassed. The bird would be obliterated. Again, a golf ball falling from a great height onto a cow's head would almost certainly fracture its skull. Very distressing imagery with which to begin a light-hearted golf-based game show.

I implore you to watch a film called 'Home Alone'.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 18, 2019, 10:56:39 AM
Did he then walk off and refuse to do the show, claiming the wheelchair user had an undue privilege which  wasn't fair on the able-bodied contestants?

It looks like all of series 1 is on YouTube and last night I watched a few bits, just to see which players appeared (Ray Reardon, Alex Higgins, Tony Knowles and Alison Fisher among others). Every time Jim talks to a contestant and they tell him they're from Wales he starts going "I bet you'd love to play with Terry Griffiths, wouldn't you?" and making lazy jokes about Welsh stereotypes in a crap Welsh accent. I couldn't watch any more because I kept inwardly screaming "FUCK OFF"

How did someone this charmless get this big in thw 1990's?

How obviously pissed was Higgins? By the point Big Break was on air he must've already punched Colin Randle and drunkenly announced his retirement. He might also have gotten banned from the trickshots for threatening to have Dennis Taylor shot.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 18, 2019, 11:18:56 AM
How obviously pissed was Higgins?

Judge for yourself:
https://youtu.be/AaMwfgIhsa8

I've just remembered one of the later ones featured a young Ryan Day, when it can't have been that long since he'd started dating his aunt (sort of):

https://youtu.be/vz2WXUjltl0

Sebastian Cobb

skipped to a couple of minutes in and Davidson has already followed up 'got any children' with 'want any more?' fucksakes.

gilbertharding

I know this isn't SHOCK! HORROR!! but it makes me laugh:

It is pretty appalling that such a thoroughgoing arsehole can have been allowed on primetime  telly in the 90s... but we can only hope it's not like that now.

Blue Jam

I've posted this before but Chinese Big Break is still much better:

https://youtu.be/kDYTvxLADrg

Dr Sanchez

I never watched Saturday night tele when I was a kid. I was always too busy out getting wankered and pulling birds.

Netflix has ruined all that.

thraxx

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 18, 2019, 02:34:21 PM
I've posted this before but Chinese Big Break is still much better:

https://youtu.be/kDYTvxLADrg

Does it have a chinese jim davidson. And a chinese John virgo. And a chinese james wattana?

petril

Quote from: thraxx on April 18, 2019, 05:56:16 PM
Does it have a chinese jim davidson. And a chinese John virgo. And a chinese james wattana?

And a Chinese Tony Drago to nonchalantly shrug at Ch*n*s* J*m D*v*ds*n's attempts

Twed

Remembering enjoying Big Break is remembering what it was to have no cynicism.