Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:35:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Euro Election 2019

Started by NoSleep, April 18, 2019, 08:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who did you vote for in the Euro elections

Tories
5 (2%)
Labour
90 (36.4%)
Change UK
5 (2%)
Green
49 (19.8%)
SNP
18 (7.3%)
Plaid Cymru
9 (3.6%)
Lib Dems
22 (8.9%)
UKIP
5 (2%)
Fascist Party
12 (4.9%)
Other party (UK)
2 (0.8%)
Other party (Other EU country)
4 (1.6%)
I can't vote
3 (1.2%)
DUP
0 (0%)
SF
1 (0.4%)
SDLP
0 (0%)
UUP
1 (0.4%)
I wouldn't vote
12 (4.9%)
That bloke who pulls himself off next to the Aldi on Smithdown Road
9 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 247

biggytitbo

Farage isn't the problem, betraying a major democratic vote for the first time in our history and not leaving the EU is the problem.

Just leave the shitty EU and this all ends.

Dr Rock

No it will just be a huge victory for tabloid-fuelled xenophobia. They're not going to stop if and when we leave the EU and neither will Farage.

biggytitbo

I couldn't agree more with this -

If you don't get it yet let me spell it out - if we don't leave the EU, THIS IS NEVER GOING TO END. We will never be able to move on to anything else until we leave. It's not going away until we leave. It's not going to stop being a toxic, paralysing issue to our politics until we leave. We will be stuck in this limbo forever until we leave.

jobotic

Give us what we want and the threats stop.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 18, 2019, 09:05:30 PM
No it will just be a huge victory for tabloid-fuelled xenophobia. They're not going to stop if and when we leave the EU and neither will Farage.

Wrong, just voting to leave the EU killed UKIP stone dead and killed the issue of immigration stone dead. Actually leaving the EU ends this once and for all. Remaining means this is the monkey on our back forever.

biggytitbo

Quote from: jobotic on May 18, 2019, 09:12:37 PM

Err no, we have a referendum about this in 2016 which everyone involved promised to respect, and we voted to leave - the only 'threats' here are by the extremists who are threatening to cancel the result and remain.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 18, 2019, 09:09:55 PM
I couldn't agree more with this -

If you don't get it yet let me spell it out - if we don't leave the EU, THIS IS NEVER GOING TO END. We will never be able to move on to anything else until we leave. It's not going away until we leave. It's not going to stop being a toxic, paralysing issue to our politics until we leave. We will be stuck in this limbo forever until we leave.

Or if we convincingly vote to Remain.

You forget that political fights never end. That is the nature of politics. The Greens will never go away, Fascists will never go away. Remainers will never go away. The arm wrestle is simply being won or being lost, it is never finished.

I fully defend people who want to fight Leavers and win, however I agree that if they are sensible they need their own democratic mandate to challenge the direction of travel.

Quote from: jobotic on May 18, 2019, 09:12:37 PM

Give us what we voted for and we will stop using every subsequent vote to tell you again.

No need for threats and violence, we aren't leftists.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 18, 2019, 09:14:40 PM

You forget that political fights never end. That is the nature of politics. The Greens will never go away, Fascists will never go away. Remainers will never go away. The arm wrestle is simply being won or being lost, it is never finished.

I fully defend people who want to fight Leavers and win, however I agree that if they are sensible they need their own democratic mandate to challenge the direction of travel.

Remain won the vote 40 years ago, you can't cancel the 2016 democratic decision before it's been implemented.

Come back in 40 years when we've given this a fair go.

Dr Rock

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 18, 2019, 09:14:37 PM
Err no, we have a referendum about this in 2016 which everyone involved promised to respect

I never promised anything.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 18, 2019, 09:14:40 PM

Quite right, I couldn't agree more with what you said, but the very nature of having a democracy is you respect the results of the vote first, then move on to challenging it.

If that isn't the principle we all agree to abide by then the whole thing collapses.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on May 18, 2019, 09:16:38 PM

I'm more than happy to write into the legislation that we have a 2nd referendum in 5 years when we actually know what our future relationship with the EU is and we have had time to experience it.

These 2nd referendum con men are talking about having a 2nd referendum on 'the deal' before the deal even exists, effectively cancelling the result of the 1st referendum before it is implemented.

Dr Rock

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 18, 2019, 09:17:58 PM
Quite right, I couldn't agree more with what you said, but the very nature of having a democracy is you respect the results of the vote first, then move on to challenging it.

If that isn't the principle we all agree to abide by then the whole thing collapses.

This is a sham of a democracy anyway.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on May 18, 2019, 09:16:38 PM
Remain won the vote 40 years ago, you can't cancel the 2016 democratic decision before it's been implemented.

You say you can't, you literally can. You can hold a vote any time.

What you mean is, you are scared.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 18, 2019, 09:22:08 PM

Cool - can we just hold elections whenever we want then? say, 6 months into Corbyn's inevitable reign of terror?

Leftist bully boy tactics, incapable of accepting a decision that doesn't go your way

biggytitbo

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 18, 2019, 09:22:08 PM

It's permanent stalemate or worse until we leave. What you want is to literally sacrifice everything at the altar of remaining in a neoliberal trading block. How progressive, how liberal of you.

biggytitbo

A better analogy is labour win the next election, but they aren't allowed to become the government straight away but have to wait in limbo for years, during which the people who voted labour will be assaulted relentlessly, insulted, propagandised, traumatised, their morale ground down by the very people who absolutely don't want a labour government under any circumstances. After this terrible shitshow, they will be asked if they really want a labour government after all, as if this was an entirely normal and fair state of affairs in a democracy.

This is what you're doing and passing off as a 2nd referendum/confirmatory vote/people's vote etc etc.

Dr Rock

Muh Democracy!

Fuck it, punch Nazis, Caligula, Bring Back Blake's 7.

Dr Rock

Do a motor sports analogy next

jobotic

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 18, 2019, 09:43:48 PM
A better analogy is labour win the next election, but they aren't allowed to become the government straight away but have to wait in limbo for years, during which the people who voted labour will be assaulted relentlessly, insulted, propagandised, traumatised, their morale ground down by the very people who absolutely don't want a labour government under any circumstances. After this terrible shitshow, they will be asked if they really want a labour government after all, as if this was an entirely normal and fair state of affairs in a democracy.

This is what you're doing and passing off as a 2nd referendum/confirmatory vote/people's vote etc etc.

You're suggesting that this is what has happened to leave voters???

Dr Rock

buttgammon

G*mma O'D*herty was in my rather multicultural part of Dublin the other day in an attempt to stir up trouble (stupid people say "is this Nigeria/Somalia/Ethiopia" when they come to the area because they might see a black person). Absolutely gutted she turned up while I was out of town, especially as there were two branches of McDonalds in the vicinity.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 18, 2019, 09:33:48 PM

It's permanent stalemate or worse until we leave. What you want is to literally sacrifice everything at the altar of remaining in a neoliberal trading block. How progressive, how liberal of you.

No, as I said, Remainers should get some democratic backing before simply demanding remain.

Let's use a clear, if perhaps ott example : if Remainers win the next referendum 60/40 it will be very difficult for Leavers to claim they were betrayed. By anyone other than Theresa May, anyway.

jobotic

So do I vote Labour or Green? I'm as likely to vote Lib Dem as I am Farage. None of this would have happened if it wasn't for them and they should never be allowed to forget it. The fucking cheek of Cable.

NoSleep

I would vote for Labour myself. If we end up remaining, then all the Brexit party MEPs will ally with other far right parties across Europe, so Labour is the best choice to form alliances with other social democratic parties to compete with this. Voting Green potentially weakens that, unless the Greens are likely to join the same social democratic alliance (perhaps others are better informed than me on this likelihood). I'll be voting Labour whatever.

Buelligan

Quote from: buttgammon on May 19, 2019, 09:04:25 AM
G*mma O'D*herty was in my rather multicultural part of Dublin the other day in an attempt to stir up trouble (stupid people say "is this Nigeria/Somalia/Ethiopia" when they come to the area because they might see a black person). Absolutely gutted she turned up while I was out of town, especially as there were two branches of McDonalds in the vicinity.

Don't worry, I expect someone was sick on her.

jobotic

I probably will but I'm not really feeling it, being an ultra Remoaner. Plus Caroline Lucas aside Greens are generally terrible when they win. I may just be basing that on Brighton council though.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Neither of those votes is a bad one, but bear in mind how the Greens have behaved towards Corbyn despite him basically sharing 90% of their own beliefs.

Any vote for Labour in this particular weird election deflects attention away from them and back on the Tories. That's why I am voting Labour.

Get them out by voting for the only party that can get them out. Appreciate there are nationalist and environmental concerns but surely we have all had enough of these absolute cunts to do what's needed to sink them into the abyss.

Zetetic

You may also wish to consider the actual voting records of Green and Labour MEPs.

Labour MEPs voted in favour of some of the worse parts of the copyright directive (and it's worth noting that not all of the S&D bloc did this) recently - and I've not see any excuse for this. That's a major reason why I would prefer Plaid MEP to represent me than a Labour one.

QuoteGet them out by voting for the only party that can get them out.
Noting that, practically, the question in my constituency is whether the 4th seat goes to the LIb Dems or Plaid.

(Which the Lib Dems have been lying about - presenting them as a plausible option to avoid the Brexit party ending up with two seats. I believe they've been doing similar elsewhere.)