Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:02:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Euro Election 2019

Started by NoSleep, April 18, 2019, 08:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who did you vote for in the Euro elections

Tories
5 (2%)
Labour
90 (36.4%)
Change UK
5 (2%)
Green
49 (19.8%)
SNP
18 (7.3%)
Plaid Cymru
9 (3.6%)
Lib Dems
22 (8.9%)
UKIP
5 (2%)
Fascist Party
12 (4.9%)
Other party (UK)
2 (0.8%)
Other party (Other EU country)
4 (1.6%)
I can't vote
3 (1.2%)
DUP
0 (0%)
SF
1 (0.4%)
SDLP
0 (0%)
UUP
1 (0.4%)
I wouldn't vote
12 (4.9%)
That bloke who pulls himself off next to the Aldi on Smithdown Road
9 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 247

Fambo Number Mive

There's a real effort on Twitter by FBPE types to disparage Labour (of course, they mostly ignore the Tories) meaning that more and more every vote for Labour counts. PLEASE get out there and vote for Labour and encourage others to do so.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

On it mate. These are local elections anyway, so fuck you FBPE

They are especially thick because Labour's end position will be virtually the same as theirs, except with being genuinely able to say they tried to fix the situation first.

Sin Agog

I've asked this before, but is there really no tactical voting site for the council elections?  Haven't the foggiest idea who's polling ahead here.  The Labour leaflets say it's them, but I'm in exactly the wrong part of Brighton for them.

gib

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 01, 2019, 01:54:45 PM
I've asked this before, but is there really no tactical voting site for the council elections?  Haven't the foggiest idea who's polling ahead here.  The Labour leaflets say it's them, but I'm in exactly the wrong part of Brighton for them.

I think there's a separate thread somewhere for the local elections but yes, this would be useful. Pretty sure i need to vote Lib Dem.

NoSleep

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 01, 2019, 01:54:45 PM

Not sure that tactical voting has the same impact as it may have in a general election. You're actually voting for things to happen in your local area.

Better to judge for yourself from previous elections in your area and what local issues are important.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: NoSleep on May 01, 2019, 02:11:59 PM
Not sure that tactical voting has the same impact as it may have in a general election. You're actually voting for things to happen in your local area.

Better to judge for yourself from previous elections in your area and what local issues are important.

On this occasion with the Tories in a uniquely vulnerable position and defending thousands of seats I think I can forgive anyone who votes Lib Dem in the locals if it shifts the balance and, to mix metaphors, mortally fucks this millstone around our lives. Bring them down. That's all you need to need to remember.

If the Lib Dem/Green option seems a bit of a long shot I recommend sticking with Labour and helping to grow the vote locally.

NoSleep

(Almost) anything but the Tories stands to reason.

Fambo Number Mive

Owen Jones on Labour and the EU elections

Quote...What exactly are they asking of Labour? This isn't a rhetorical question. In 2017, Labour whipped its MPs to trigger article 50, and campaigned in the general election to accept the referendum result. This, it was said, would lead to electoral doom as enraged remainers fled elsewhere. Instead, it helped Labour secure the same vote share as Tony Blair did 16 years earlier, depriving the Tories of their majority. If Labour had campaigned against the referendum result in an election Theresa May wanted to run solely on Brexit, she would have won her majority and rammed her deal through parliament long ago. But since then, Labour has not only softened its Brexit position but also whipped its MPs twice to vote for a second referendum. In other words, Labour has left itself exposed to claims it has gone back on its general election commitments, as well as risking its chances of winning an election – 41 of the 54 Tory-held target seats Labour needs to win to form a government voted leave. The reason a second referendum hasn't been approved isn't because Labour failed to back it – it has, twice – but because most MPs in a Tory-DUP parliament are strongly opposed to one happening...

if a majority of MPs opt for a second referendum, those of us who campaigned for remain will do it all over again. We will probably lose, again, because of those who are likely to lead the next remain campaign. Senior ultra-remainers privately tell me that, oh well, another defeat will leave us in the same position as now. Can I gently ask, are they serious? Losing a far more bitter and divisive campaign than even the last will lead to a form of Brexit triumphalism that will make the current leavers look humble; our politics will be disfigured for a generation or more.

Some of the "stop Brexit or bust" brigade will vote Liberal Democrat, a party that backed and implemented some of the cruellest policy measures in peacetime Britain and helped plunge the country into this mess; some will vote Change UK, a party whose soon-to-be leader opposed a second referendum until it became a convenient wedge issue with which to beat the Labour leadership, and which has been embroiled in multiple racism and bigotry scandals within weeks of forming. And when Farage triumphs in three weeks' time, they will sink into despair, and, with their arms outstretched, ask "Why?"...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/01/remainers-own-goal-brexit-nigel-farage-brexit-party-second-referendum-labour

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yes just read that.

Absolutely nailed the whining entitlement, strategic ineptitude and poor judgement of Remainers who demand Labour does everything it wants right now.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 02, 2019, 01:58:45 PM
Yes just read that.

Absolutely nailed the whining entitlement, strategic ineptitude and poor judgement of Remainers who demand Labour does everything it wants right now.

I hope it counts this time.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If biggy is anything to go by he they will need to fuck up in a way visible from space to put off their psycho fanboys from voting for him them

biggytitbo

Man doesn't comprehend concept of protest vote. Thankfully many others do -

QuoteEuropean Parliament Voting Intention:

BXP: 30% (+2)
LAB: 21% (-1)
CON: 13% (=)
LDM: 10% (+3)
GRN: 9% (-1)
CHUK: 9% (-1)
UKIP: 4% (-1)

Via @YouGov, 29-30 Apr,
Changes w/ 23-26 Apr.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 02, 2019, 06:27:30 PM

Man still thinks he is right when he will be idiotically be voting for Nigel Farage.  Man should pipe down because he has lost all his own arguments even though he is too much of a dunce to realise.

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 02, 2019, 06:27:30 PM

What exactly do you see as the outcome of your "protest" vote? How is it going to suddenly make brexit happen when none of you lot can even get your shit together to agree what brexit is?

Armin Meiwes

Agree that it's a protest vote tho, it's a protest against immigrants and foruners tellin us what to do.

shh

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on May 02, 2019, 07:08:37 PM
Agree that it's a protest vote tho, it's a protest against immigrants and foruners tellin us what to do.

Well I think that's a crass way of putting it, but oddly enough the UKIP+BXP numbers above come to 34%, and from today's Graun 'In all, only 37% of Britons feel the costs of immigration outweigh the benefits – lower than in any other big European country'.

biggytitbo

Change UK couldn't even manage to get a logo sorted out in time -

Although the Brexit party missed a trick adding The at the beginning, otherwise they would have been listed first alphabetically. Their logo is brilliant though, an arrow pointing where to vote for them.

Are the English democrats one family?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It can never be a valid protest vote when in the shakedown of what parties gain from this pact, their agenda is advanced ahead of yours.

Voting Brexit, just like voting UKIP, legitimises and normalises race hate and incitement. Brexit is the trojan horse that lets this agenda sneak into the mainstream.

biggytitbo

Trotting out the greatest hits there, but no less lame and discredited than it was the last time you said it. All the evidence shows the UK is one of the most tolerant countries in the EU. In Italy this weekend real facists, devotees of Mussolini, where marching in the streets. There was a story yesterday about 24,000 neo nazis in Germany, half ready to use violence. The closest we have to these horrors is an Asian lad throwing a milkshake on Tommy Robinson and everyone laughing at him. Ignorant EUtopians have no idea how popular real fascism remains in the EU, and how non existent as a serious prospect it is here.

Someone who looks at the candidates for the brexit party and declares them fascist has lost touch with reality, high on their own bourgeois delusion. None of the brexit candidates will ever have political power, but they are a good vehicle for a protest to pressure the main parties into getting on with leaving the EU. And nothing more than that.

Paul Calf

What about the owner of the Brexit Party?

It's a good job the real fascists, actually are the ones in Italy, rather than the ones you're voting for isn't it?

olliebean

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 05, 2019, 01:55:53 PM
Change UK couldn't even manage to get a logo sorted out in time -

That is their logo. They've just made the tactical decision to stand out from the other parties by having it printed in white.

Howj Begg

Tommy Robinson, the bloke who could easily become an MEP in three weeks, thanks to you and your fellow useful idiots. Someone representing the UK in political office. Such a hahaha joke, viral video, milkshake, hahahaha, oops he's an MEP while we were pretending fascism doesn't exist. It can't happen here etc

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Howj Begg on May 05, 2019, 03:45:01 PM
Tommy Robinson, the bloke who could easily become an MEP in three weeks, thanks to you and your fellow useful idiots. Someone representing the UK in political office. Such a hahaha joke, viral video, milkshake, hahahaha, oops he's an MEP while we were pretending fascism doesn't exist. It can't happen here etc

If you have worked out or have seen anywhere a cogent argument supporting the notion that Tommy Robinson is a fascist, or is sympathetic to fascism on any level, do let us know.

Buelligan

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 05, 2019, 03:12:57 PM
Trotting out the greatest hits there, but no less lame and discredited than it was the last time you said it. All the evidence shows the UK is one of the most tolerant countries in the EU. In Italy this weekend real facists, devotees of Mussolini, where marching in the streets. There was a story yesterday about 24,000 neo nazis in Germany, half ready to use violence. The closest we have to these horrors is an Asian lad throwing a milkshake on Tommy Robinson and everyone laughing at him.

You seen this video of Tommy and his entourage attacking people in the street?  'Course you have.  Amongst other things, they broke a woman's nose. 

The lad that started it, one of Robinson's goons, is apparently Danny Tommo, (Daniel Thomas,) this man.  Don't pretend they're anything other than thuggish violent fascists.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 05, 2019, 03:12:57 PM
Trotting out the greatest hits there, but no less lame and discredited than it was the last time you said it. All the evidence shows the UK is one of the most tolerant countries in the EU. In Italy this weekend real facists, devotees of Mussolini, where marching in the streets. There was a story yesterday about 24,000 neo nazis in Germany, half ready to use violence. The closest we have to these horrors is an Asian lad throwing a milkshake on Tommy Robinson and everyone laughing at him. Ignorant EUtopians have no idea how popular real fascism remains in the EU, and how non existent as a serious prospect it is here.

Someone who looks at the candidates for the brexit party and declares them fascist has lost touch with reality, high on their own bourgeois delusion. None of the brexit candidates will ever have political power, but they are a good vehicle for a protest to pressure the main parties into getting on with leaving the EU. And nothing more than that.

That didn't have a single thing to do with what I just said.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Howj Begg on May 05, 2019, 03:45:01 PM

I'm not voting for Tommy Robinson, although he'd be well at home in the European Parliament which is riddled with actual far right parties. But then he's not going to win and would have no power even if he did.

I'm lodging my protest vote for the racist and xenophobic brexit party, with its Nigerian and Danish candidates.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Buelligan on May 05, 2019, 04:04:57 PM
You seen this video of Tommy and his entourage attacking people in the street?  'Course you have.  Amongst other things, they broke a woman's nose. 

The lad that started it, one of Robinson's goons, is apparently Danny Tommo, (Daniel Thomas,) this man.  Don't pretend they're anything other than thuggish violent fascists.

Where have I done that? I'm merely explaining to you, although you won't accept it, that the far right has extremely low levels of support in the UK compared to the rest of Europe. The actual neo-Nazis are in Germany, on the streets and in their parliament. The actual fascists are in France and Italy, in their government and parliament. Slovakia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, white supremacism and veneration of actual Nazis is commonplace and fascists are actually in the parliament and government. The third biggest party in Sweden are white supremacists, as are the second biggest in Holland. And then there's Hungary...

If you want to study the rise of the far right, look to EUtopia, not the UK.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 05, 2019, 04:21:44 PM

I'm not voting for Tommy Robinson, although he'd be well at home in the European Parliament which is riddled with actual far right parties. But then he's not going to win and would have no power even if he did.

I'm lodging my protest vote for the racist and xenophobic brexit party, with its Nigerian and Danish candidates.

How can I be racist if there's a racist Danish candidate!

This might be the worst argument you've ever made on here.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 05, 2019, 04:40:13 PM
Where have I done that? I'm merely explaining to you, although you won't accept it, that the far right has extremely low levels of support in the UK compared to the rest of Europe. The actual neo-Nazis are in Germany, on the streets and in their parliament. The actual fascists are in France and Italy, in their government and parliament. Slovakia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, white supremacism and veneration of actual Nazis is commonplace and fascists are actually in the parliament and government. The third biggest party in Sweden are white supremacists, as are the second biggest in Holland. And then there's Hungary...

If you want to study the rise of the far right, look to EUtopia, not the UK.

Irrelevant, it does not excuse your decision.