Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:32:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Euro Election 2019

Started by NoSleep, April 18, 2019, 08:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who did you vote for in the Euro elections

Tories
5 (2%)
Labour
90 (36.4%)
Change UK
5 (2%)
Green
49 (19.8%)
SNP
18 (7.3%)
Plaid Cymru
9 (3.6%)
Lib Dems
22 (8.9%)
UKIP
5 (2%)
Fascist Party
12 (4.9%)
Other party (UK)
2 (0.8%)
Other party (Other EU country)
4 (1.6%)
I can't vote
3 (1.2%)
DUP
0 (0%)
SF
1 (0.4%)
SDLP
0 (0%)
UUP
1 (0.4%)
I wouldn't vote
12 (4.9%)
That bloke who pulls himself off next to the Aldi on Smithdown Road
9 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 247

Danger Man

Quote from: Replies From View on May 28, 2019, 02:00:20 PM
maverick edgelord.

I don't think it's being much of a maverick edgelord to hate both the blues and the reds. Recent election results suggest I'm in the majority for once.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 28, 2019, 12:38:32 PM
Seems Change UK dark money massively outspent the other parties on facebook -

Which ads to the comedy value of their pitiful failure.

The Grenfell Tower of political parties. An old block cladded with cheap vanity panels that ended up burning everyone inside.

NoSleep

Quote from: Danger Man on May 28, 2019, 03:01:03 PM
I don't think it's being much of a maverick edgelord to hate both the blues and the reds. Recent election results suggest I'm in the majority for once.

You like your blue to appear orange.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Danger Man's recent Green posting reminds me of my mum who has recently started going on about them as though she ever gave a single shit.

Replies From View

Quote from: Danger Man on May 28, 2019, 03:01:03 PM

Again, a great argument to have during the New Labour years.  Now though, the difference between red and blue couldn't be more stark, or the need for this particular Labour government more essential.

sponk

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 28, 2019, 12:38:32 PM
Seems Change UK dark money massively outspent the other parties on facebook -

Which ads to the comedy value of their pitiful failure.

I'll save that and show it to anyone who says we live in a plutocracy where elections can be bought by the rich.

Replies From View

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 28, 2019, 03:16:04 PM
Danger Man's recent Green posting reminds me of my mum who has recently started going on about them as though she ever gave a single shit.

It reminds me a bit of Nick Clegg Mania in both its emergence from nowhere and its insincerity.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: sponk on May 28, 2019, 03:18:38 PM
I'll save that and show it to anyone who says we live in a plutocracy where elections can be bought by the rich.

It's £100,000 mate

All the best to Labour voters roasting cockroach omelettes on a Citroën hubcap.

Replies From View

Quote from: The Boston Crab on May 28, 2019, 03:21:06 PM
All the best to Labour voters roasting cockroach omelettes on a Citroën hubcap.

Speaking directly to me, brother.  RRR

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Replies From View on May 28, 2019, 03:19:14 PM
It reminds me a bit of Nick Clegg Mania.

There's nowt wrong with them* as long as you can find a seat where they stand a chance of winning or, long term view, coming 2nd or a very strong 3rd. If not then you're best off voting for a party run by an anti nuclear lifelong environmentalist and despised tree hugger who is a national security risk.

*apart from the usual demographic likelihood of containing fallible humans, Crooks, sex offenders and the developmentally retarded

Replies From View

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 28, 2019, 03:21:46 PM
There's nowt wrong with them as long as you can find a seat where they stand a chance of winning or, long term view, coming 2nd or a very strong 3rd. If not then you're best off voting for a party run by an anti nuclear lifelong environmentalist and despised tree hugger who is a national security risk.

I voted Green many times during the New Labour years.  It's Danger Man's sudden proclamation of passion for them that I am comparing to Nick Clegg Mania, not the Greens themselves.

The expression 'get in grave' will have no context and therefore no comedic function in fifty years time when graves will be a cultural relic and people will simply die where they fall and rot into the radioactive soil.

Danger Man

Quote from: Replies From View on May 28, 2019, 03:23:41 PM
I voted Green many times during the New Labour years.  It's Danger Man's sudden proclamation of passion for them that I am comparing to Nick Clegg Mania, not the Greens themselves.

Can you show me the bit were I said I was passionate about them? All I said is that the Greens aren't conservative.

You're just as bad as all the trolls on here you pretend to hate when you just make things up.

Replies From View

Quote from: The Boston Crab on May 28, 2019, 03:30:13 PM
The expression 'get in grave' will have no context and therefore no comedic function in fifty years time when graves will be a cultural relic and people will simply die where they fall and rot into the radioactive soil.

The expression will still be used though.  Nobody will really know what it means anymore, but they'll say it.  There will be a glacial process of decomposition, of particles being separated from the complete body, lifted into the air, taken down into the poisonous land or consumed in plain sight by microbes, and this long process will be called 'getting in grave'.

Then some cunt on the internet will keep saying, "Actually, hundreds of years ago 'getting in grave' meant this [pointing] and it's not evolution of language to make it refer to something so gradual; it's wrong and Americans are fat".

To be fair he'd have a point. 

Replies From View

Quote from: Danger Man on May 28, 2019, 03:35:20 PM
Can you show me the bit were I said I was passionate about them? All I said is that the Greens aren't conservative.

You're just as bad as all the trolls on here you pretend to hate when you just make things up.

Or maybe you just annoy me with your constant "It comes from a hatred of anything that isn't Corbyn" edgelord dickishness.

Zetetic

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 28, 2019, 03:20:05 PM
It's £100,000 mate
At the same time - and this is a more general problem with highlighting it in isolation - it's also only spend on buying Facebook Ads.

(It doesn't, for example, have anything to say on spending money creating videos and the like and getting people to spread them without ad-spend.)

canadagoose

More money than sense. Stupid Tinge.

Howj Begg

Magid has important words for you

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/28/green-mep-refugee-far-right-salvini-farage-le-pen

QuoteI am honoured to have been elected as a Green party MEP. I can't wait to get to work on behalf of all those who put their faith in me and in our movement's vision of hope. We are truly building a common world, rooted in the aspirations of the young and set to deliver lasting change for all.

On a personal level, I feel humbled by and grateful for the immense support I have received. Ten years after Yorkshire and the Humber sent a member of the BNP to the European parliament , we've elected a black, Muslim refugee standing for the Green party. Now isn't that something?

The election results from across Europe are bittersweet. Yes, they show that dark shadows of hatred continue to enshroud us – reminding us that xenophobia and hate are by no means a uniquely British problem. Yet we have also witnessed the mighty Green wave cascading through Europe and landing on our shores. We have seen the light of hope beaming not only on the distant horizon, but right here and now in front of us – where we comfortably beat the Tories in all parts of the country, with seven elected Green MEPs. Through this spirit of resistance, we are able to see clearly the path that will carry us to a kinder, fairer, more tolerant Britain and to a greener, more welcoming and more democratic Europe.

Television analysts and the political elite have been left perplexed. They have scrambled and toiled, attempting to downplay our movement's success as due to little more than good fortune built on "protest votes" against Westminster's lack of progressive leadership. Some have even scornfully claimed that the support and enthusiasm we have seen is temporary, and that it's just a matter of time before it is undone.

They could not be more wrong. Millions of citizens from Sheffield to Stuttgart have grown weary of the same old politics of party colours and tribal allegiances. Europeans are craving an alternative vision that boldly quashes the far right, seeks to address the fragile economic and social conditions that are fertile grounds for the spread of fear and division, and is fit to deal with the most urgent issues of our time.

And to answer that plea for something different to the failing status quo, we will build a collective movement which wholeheartedly rejects rampant wealth inequality, xenophobic intolerance and climate-change denial. A collective movement that embraces internationalism, delivers immediate and radical climate action – and most importantly, isn't afraid to proudly state – "Immigration makes us great".

The European Union is a medium through which this movement can make real change. That is why we must not leave it or abandon it to those who would happily destroy it – but we should transform it into an entity that truly works for everyone, and that includes building consensus around a visionary pan-European Green New Deal.

So to Matteo Salvini, Viktor Orbán, Marine Le Pen, Nigel Farage and the like. I've got a message for you: you are the enemies of every European who ever swore "never again", because your rhetoric and your deeds are a daily declaration of war on the hard-fought peace of Europe. Right now, you may be celebrating and looking forward to your champagne and truffles in Brussels, but I promise you that whether I'm in Europe for five weeks, five months or five years – you are going to fail in your attempts to drive us apart. You are going to lose.

This may be the end of one campaign, but it is the start of a much bigger one that will be waged on the European stage. It is a campaign for compassion, mutual understanding and human rights, and against hate in all its forms. It won't be easy, and we will need your help.

Together, we can turn the tides of history.

There's your positive vision of the EU for you.

Buelligan

Great stuff Howj, warms the cockles.

biggytitbo

On the rise of the far right narrative, I'm quaking in my boots at the rise of Tommy Robinson to 2% and losing his deposit, the rise of Karl Benjamin to getting totally annihalated, and the rise of UKIP to polling less than Change UK.

The fantasy narrative can only cling on to the brexit party, a single issue pressure group whose only policy is that a democratic vote actually be implemented, at which point they will disband and go away. Terrifying, we are truly teetering in the edge of the fourth reich.

Buelligan

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 26, 2019, 07:12:41 PM
Hasn't Le Pen adopted Paul Mason's fantasy remain and reform policy? They and the lads in Italy want to reform the EU into a far right movement, even more than it already is.

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 26, 2019, 09:06:02 PM

As far as I understand it mainstream parties in Denmark have gone hardcore anti immigration as a way to head off the far right.

jobotic

Crowing about the far-right one day, denying they exist the next. What a silly business.

hummingofevil

Where are we discussing #expelmetoo and Alisdair Campbell ? I need to find Tommy Robwatson to agree with him that the Labour Party members specifically and hardcore remainers in general are also utterly clueless fuckwits.

idunnosomename

Funny how that cunt stopped posting after the election results. Was he just sticking his posts on a timesheet to send to The Brexit Party?

Buelligan

I don't really care.  If I had to guess, I'd say (s)he's probably an existing poster that enjoys spamming the boards with a bit of their inner hate every now and again but doesn't want to come out using their everyday username. 

Whatever the case, it's not like they change anything here.  Just a bit of internet rain that comes around at times of political energy and thinks it's pissing on someone's parade, umbrellas go up, time moves on and so what?

biggytitbo

Quote from: jobotic on May 28, 2019, 11:36:49 PM
Crowing about the far-right one day, denying they exist the next. What a silly business.

They don't exist here, they got wiped out at the election. You'll naturally maintain the brexit party, a single issue pressure group that will disband itself as soon as we've left the EU, is literally Hitler as well, but then you see the rise of the far right when you look in the bog after a poo.

jobotic

That's because I'm mentally ill.

You don't see the far-right when they're threatening Jews in Charlottesville so shut the fuck up.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

They exist as reports of what Brexit Party activists have been doing have proven, and what Brexit Party candidates have said and done. That's before you get into UKIP, 500,000 votes, and before you get into the splinter groups...

The atmosphere they have created of intolerance manifests everywhere like through the town centre today when a fat old woman with a mean face started shouting at some Muslims who walked past her. Anyone who thinks they can get away with that is getting her enabling from somewhere.