Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:13:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hay-on-Wye

Started by surreal, April 19, 2019, 10:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

I was planning to go down to Hay on Wye when I have some time off work, mainly for the reputation it has for bookshops - anyone been and recommend anything to do or where to go?

holyzombiejesus

Make a list before you go because if you go down just intending to browse, you'll get overwhelmed after a couple of shops. I've been 3 or 4 times, a couple of those due to Green Man festival being held there, and it's a lovely place. I think a certain verbwhore used to work there but I'm not sure if they would want to be named in this thread. There's a good big pub at the far side of the town and a nice restaurant at the other (towards the campsite) although I can't remember the names of either and they may both have shut down. Hope this helps.

BlodwynPig

Have the got Fly Fishing by JR Tolkein?

surreal

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 19, 2019, 12:30:20 PM
Make a list before you go because if you go down just intending to browse, you'll get overwhelmed after a couple of shops. I've been 3 or 4 times, a couple of those due to Green Man festival being held there, and it's a lovely place. I think a certain verbwhore used to work there but I'm not sure if they would want to be named in this thread. There's a good big pub at the far side of the town and a nice restaurant at the other (towards the campsite) although I can't remember the names of either and they may both have shut down. Hope this helps.

Excellent stuff, thanks.  I'm fine with browsing to be honest - I've heard good things about the Cinema Bookshop?

madhair60

It's the best, I loved it so much, just wonderful. There was one shop, massive fucking place, and if you went downstairs it was just a fucking pile of books. Just a landfill of fucking books.

Bennett Brauer

Haven't been for in the last 4 years, but always liked it. I've never been during the festival though.
For me the book buying is all about the serendipity of what you come across, and not thinking about the fact you could have found everything you bought on the electric internet quicker and cheaper. Had some great food and drink in the Old Black Lion over the years too.

A memorable moment was seeing a vintage Aston Martin pulling up in Castle Street and Bruce Robinson shouting "Scrubber!" at my girlfriend getting out.

Twed

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 19, 2019, 12:30:20 PM
Make a list before you go because if you go down just intending to browse, you'll get overwhelmed after a couple of shops.
Hay Ennui

Neville Chamberlain

I loved Hay-on-Wye so much that my son may well have been conceived there.

Hope this helps.

thraxx

Why don't you just go to Waterstones?

Can't really talk in specifics since I haven't been in a bit, but they do have that book festival thing along with some bookshops already there, I got a bunch of those Just William books there. If you need a break from reading though, there's a really big hill nearby up near the Black Mountains, and that's pretty good for a walk, with some nice views.