Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:19:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Make the internet work in my garage

Started by Norton Canes, April 20, 2019, 09:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

I'll try and be concise, as this sort of technical talk is completely not the thing I enjoy 

We've just turned our garage into an outhouse cum spare room (that doesn't sound right) and I have realised that it would be nice to have the X-Box in there too, where my son can play on it without deafening us all with his incessant gaming chat.

This obviously means getting the wi-fi signal out there. What is the best way to do this? I have Googled and there appear to be approximately four hundred different booster/relay/extender/whatever the fuck they are all called devices available, as well as the option of running a cable. The garage is only about four feet from the back corner of the house so hopefully it's not like we need some Bond villain esque directional beaming contraption. It's brick built, as is the house, so no solid stone blocks to penetrate if that makes a difference. I can plug our existing router in on the ground floor by the front door and there are power sockets by the back door if we need to plug a booster thing in there.

Is that enough information? If not please say and I will publish detailed plans of the house and garden.

Basically I don't want to spend too little and be stuck with something that doesn't work. Conversely I don't want to spend hundreds of pounds on something like these boosters if I can possibly help it. 

Just want to get this sorted with zero fuss. Also can I emphasize IT'S NOT A WANK DEN repeat IT'S NOT A WANK DEN.

Thanks.

seepage

I assume you've checked the wi-fi signal doesn't reach already?

A cheapish wi-fi range extender/repeater (<£50) should be OK, or a pair of Powerline adapters (£25), but running a cable would be the most reliable. If you are already a BT fibre Plus customer you can get the black version of the disks for an extra fiver a month.

PlanktonSideburns

AKWARD BASTARD ANSWER: could you run a really long ethernet cable out there?

famethrowa

As someone who is definitely running a wank den out there, we have a shed next to the house, so I ran a long blue ethernet cable from the router (in the middle of the house) under the floor and through the wall of the shed, then connected it to a Netgear EX6150 range extender what I got second hand for $20. It makes a new wifi access point right there in the shed and it's good times.

Sebastian Cobb

Is the power line on a ring in your house? Use a poweline adapter and an access point if so.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 20, 2019, 09:20:32 AM
Also can I emphasize IT'S NOT A WANK DEN repeat IT'S NOT A WANK DEN.
Your son isn't yet a teenager, then?

Bazooka

Have you considered utilising electric eels as boosters?

Twed

The best way might be some point-to-point beam Wifi stuff. https://www.ui.com/airmax/nanobeam-ac-gen2/

Obvs not that simple. The user-friendly alternative might be some home mesh wifi system, but the efficacy of that depends on the layout of your property, how far the garage is from the shed etc.

Norton Canes

I'm liking the ethernet cable option more. Called the local computer shop yesterday and they reckoned it would give the fastest and most reliable connection. LCS guy is coming round on Tuesday to assess the situation in person.

Not ruling out the eels though.

Dex Sawash

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 21, 2019, 08:45:03 AM
I'm liking the ethernet cable option more. Called the local computer shop yesterday and they reckoned it would give the fastest and most reliable connection. LCS guy is coming round on Tuesday to assess the situation in person.

Not ruling out the eels though.

It would be the better option and it's not too difficult. However you may want to make sure wifi reaches the garage as well as son will likely want to use his phone. But this way it doesn't have to be super quick.

Sebastian Cobb

If you've got ethernet you can shove a ubiquiti wap on one end of it.

Twed

If you're going cable, Cat6 is rated for up to 100m.