Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:45:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shitty Slickers: The Legend of Curly's Pubes

Started by St_Eddie, April 20, 2019, 10:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

City Slickers is on TV right now.  It's shite.  The only reason that people like it is because of 80's nostalgia (was it an 80's film? I can't be bothered to check, so shitty is this film).  Either that or bad taste (obligatory nod towards Peter Jackson).

Woke or go broke.  In this film the black characters are defined by their ethnicity.  The women exist purely to placate the men.  Don't even get me started on how the horses are portrayed.  Broke.

Shit Good Nose

Well I still like it.  And I like the sequel.

"I crap bigger than you." (eyes)

"Let's bring out the cake!"

If it was on TV that early, though, it'll be hella cut.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on April 20, 2019, 01:06:07 PM
Well I still like it.  And I like the sequel.

I'm sorry, Sir but I regret to inform you that you are wrong.  You do not like the film, nor its sequel.

You do not like the film.  You do not like the film.  You do not like the film.  You do not like the film.

Shit Good Nose

Your lame hoodoo has no power over me.

"He's like a saddle bag with eyes."

St_Eddie

Shit Good Nose

Shit Good Nose

That was "I like your ass.  Can I wear it as a hat?"

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on April 20, 2019, 02:22:49 PM
Hi Curly!  Killed anyone yet today?

Curly's kill count is in the hundreds but no, he has not killed anyone today, for he is "on a break".

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on April 20, 2019, 02:27:51 PM
That was "I like your ass.  Can I wear it as a hat?"

"No."

Shit Good Nose

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on April 20, 2019, 03:31:15 PM
Ehhhhh, we've always got Alien 3.

Solidarity, brother.  Preach it from the mountain tops until the deniers awake.

Avril Lavigne

I had a full-page magazine ad for City Slickers taped up on my bedroom wall for about 10 years, as a joke (the joke was that I'd never seen it and didn't intend to).

St_Eddie

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on April 20, 2019, 04:18:36 PM
I had a full-page magazine ad for City Slickers taped up on my bedroom wall for about 10 years, as a joke (the joke was that I'd never seen it and didn't intend to).

A joke appreciated by one person (you).

Also (me).

QDRPHNC

The first is wonderful, the second I didn't see.

St_Eddie

Quote from: QDRPHNC on April 20, 2019, 06:25:10 PM
The first is wonderful, the second I didn't see.

But how can you live through life without knowing the secret behind the legend that is Curly's gold?!

QDRPHNC

Stop trying to dig your way out of this hole. "Shitty Slickers". Never heard the like.

madhair60

I haven't seen City Slickers but I have decided that I like it out of pure spite.

BlodwynPig

Shit Good Nose

The sequel is a bit of an also-ran, but still plenty to like.  And it clearly takes the piss out of its own sequel tropes, including bringing back Palance as a previously unmentioned identical twin brother.

Plus I'm a huge Jon Lovitz fan, so I'm preprogrammed to like it.

MidnightShambler

I loved it at the time, even bought it when it was released on video. Billy Crystal was fucking ace then and Daniel Stern was always a good watch. I loved the bit when he gets rumbled for shagging the checkout girl, his 'Oh Jesus' reaction was perfect.

The sequel was terrible though, can't argue there.

mothman

I've never seen either, and you're not selling them to me.

SavageHedgehog

My favourite thing about either City Slickers film, which I remember being passable and barely passable, and saw in the wrong order five fairly personally significant years apart, is the IMDB Trivia for Part II:

In the original draft, Billy Crystal's character "accidentally" drops his brother Glenn (Jon Lovitz) into a canyon before an oncoming stampede, killing him. Although it was scrapped after negative screen testing, the scene was eventually used in the Lion King.

Sebastian Cobb

St_Eddie

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 04, 2019, 07:19:45 PM
It's no Throw Momma from the Train.

Now there's a Billy Crystal film that I can get behind.  Then again, I'm a sucker for anything with Anne Ramsey in it.  Here's a beautiful retrospective video on her career, which I highly recommend watching.

paruses

Isn't city slickers responsible for the "he/she is behind me isn't he/she?"

St_Eddie

Quote from: paruses on June 16, 2019, 10:07:36 PM
Isn't city slickers responsible for the "he/she is behind me isn't he/she?"

If so, then that's another crime that the movie has foisted upon society.  As if merely existing wasn't insult enough.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 18, 2019, 02:47:24 PM
As if merely existing wasn't insult enough.

"Merely existing" is usually a capital offence though, as far as you're concerned.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I'd have said "pompously existing", meself.

(the way you've worded your post looks ambiguously like you're trying to insult St. Eddie. Maybe you are, I dunno. Anyway, thought I'd get on board. )

Ian Benson

I think the character trait that Daniel Stern's character has where he pretends to be asleep so his wife won't talk to him is extremely funny, especially given the fact that he apparently does it no matter where he is (eg Billy Crystal's birthday party), and I seem to recall the film being quite charming overall.

So that's my take on City Slickers. Take it or leave it.

St_Eddie

Just so people know, this is a very tongue in cheek thread.  I'm not actually raging at the fact that City Slickers is a thing which exists.  I did find it to have dated very badly when I caught it on TV but in truth, it was inoffensive enough.

Anywayyyyy... Shitty Slickers!  Worse than the Nazis!