Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:56:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jim Morrison And Film

Started by MortSahlFan, April 21, 2019, 11:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

In interviews, Jim always talks how he's not that interested in music, and has always been most interested with film, and of course got his degree from UCLA film school. I have and read all of the books on Jim, and was curious what his favorites were. The latest one (Friends Gathered Together) revealed a few things, but I'll list only what I know is exact

Ana-ta-han - one of his friends said this was the movie that left the most profound effect on him. (It's on YouTube, great). It was also directed by his professor, Josef von Sternberg.

McChesney Duntz

Just peeked in Ray Manzarek's (often unintentionally hilarious) me-and-Jim autobio Light My Fire and pulled up the following: Morrison thought Breathless was better than Contempt or Vivre sa Vie, as early Godard goes; and he and Ray preferred One-Eyed Jacks to The Searchers, but mostly because John Wayne was a "fascist" and Marlon Brando wasn't.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on April 22, 2019, 03:56:11 AM
Just peeked in Ray Manzarek's (often unintentionally hilarious) me-and-Jim autobio Light My Fire and pulled up the following: Morrison thought Breathless was better than Contempt or Vivre sa Vie, as early Godard goes; and he and Ray preferred One-Eyed Jacks to The Searchers, but mostly because John Wayne was a "fascist" and Marlon Brando wasn't.

After reading your post (thanks, btw), I looked and looked through boxes, found some great books, some shitty ones (garage sale), but I couldn't find Ray's or neither of John's, but if you go on google, you can find a few versions of "Light My Fire" with previews, and you can search inside with keywords, and found that reference you made... I saw them all, and would have to say I liked "Contempt" the most (didn't like Breathless at all), and preferred "One-Eyed Jacks" because I think Brando is the best.. Ray also says "Jim loved Bergman" (who doesn't!)

I do remember in some book where Ray says "Jim, you gotta see 400 Blows" - and it is a fine movie..