Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:29:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Years and Years (Russell T Davies)

Started by VelourSpirit, April 21, 2019, 11:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gib

Quote from: Twed on June 10, 2019, 10:19:53 PM
Maybe they are thinking of Stalin or something. Fuck knows. It just rankles a bit

Just caught up, totally with you on this, it really stuck out for me too.

beanheadmcginty

Never had Gruey down as a concentration camp commander.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: A Hat Like That on June 12, 2019, 09:53:51 AM
... or the Spanish in Cuba. Or many other examples dating back.

The Victorian Brits, as with many other things, named it.

EDIT - there's a lot more bubbling under the "they'll have me killed" line. It reminds me a bit of this alternate history.

Thanks for that link, an engrossing read.

ian01604

Quote from: lipsink on June 13, 2019, 11:27:15 AM
Plus, I think that's Robbie Coletrane's son from 'Cracker' that plays Kinnear's boss. The one that also did a big real life spunk in '9 Songs'.

bloody hell it is! Woody is Gruey!

notjosh

This show is brilliantly depressing, and is pretty much killing any semblance of optimism I had about Britain's future. With PM Boris Johnson in the offing it could well be years and years before we have anything to smile about.

mothman

Quote from: A Hat Like That on June 12, 2019, 09:53:51 AM
It reminds me a bit of this alternate history.

That was absolutely fascinating. Who wrote it? I wonder how it ended up almost lost forever, if not for the Wayback Machine..?

Blue Jam

Viv Rook... "I don't give a fook..."

Damn, I knew RTD was good with character names but I can't believe I've only just got why this one sounds so right...

Harry Badger

Quote from: mothman on June 14, 2019, 05:37:58 PM
That was absolutely fascinating. Who wrote it? I wonder how it ended up almost lost forever, if not for the Wayback Machine..?

Written by Anthony Wells of UKPollingreport and YouGov. Fantastic yarn.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Harry Badger on June 15, 2019, 12:20:05 AM
Written by Anthony Wells of UKPollingreport and YouGov. Fantastic yarn.

Loved it. I grew up surrounded by all that so it seems all too plausible. Thank fuck Banks got ill

Quote from: mothman on June 14, 2019, 05:37:58 PM

https://yougov.co.uk/people/anthony.wells/

That was the only link I could find that had the pictures/original formatting. I think that's the bit that really makes it compelling - the style and tone is pretty much bang on for all the different voices and sources.

I've just been doing some more reading, one line in particular I'd never quite got.

"Uncle Louis was saying there were some... chaps willing to step in, keep a strong hand at the till. They seemed like good good men, Michael was one of them. You know Michael? Used to be a goon?"

That's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bentine

OK, so let's have a look at wikipedia.

QuoteBentine was a crack pistol shot and helped to start the idea of a counter-terrorist wing within 22 SAS Regiment. In doing so, he became the first non-SAS person ever to fire a gun inside the close-quarters battle training house at Hereford.

wat

QuoteSince he was no longer physically qualified for flying, he was transferred to RAF Intelligence and seconded to MI9, a unit that was dedicated to supporting resistance movements and helping prisoners escape. His immediate superior was the Colditz escapee Airey Neave.

wait wat

That is some deep cut.

mothman

I assumed it was Bentine referred to, but forgot to investigate further. Well done.

jamiefairlie

I tell you, unwittingly, the IRA did Britain a massive favour by taking out Airey Nieve when they did, he was a massive fascist about to claim power.

mothman

It's interesting how, apart from a few mentions of repatriation grants and the repealing of the Race Relations Act, racial tensions didn't play as much of a part in a depiction of Britain under Enoch Powell as you might have expected.

Harry Badger

Quote from: A Hat Like That on June 15, 2019, 11:09:56 AM
I've just been doing some more reading, one line in particular I'd never quite got.

"Uncle Louis was saying there were some... chaps willing to step in, keep a strong hand at the till. They seemed like good good men, Michael was one of them. You know Michael? Used to be a goon?"

That's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bentine

OK, so let's have a look at wikipedia.

wat

wait wat

That is some deep cut.

Bentine was part of the group led by Cecil King that planned to overthrow the Wilson government in 1968 and replace him with Mountbatten.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Harry Badger on June 16, 2019, 04:26:58 PM
Bentine was part of the group led by Cecil King that planned to overthrow the Wilson government in 1968 and replace him with Mountbatten.

Makes you wonder if he'd been placed in The Goons deliberately, given they were seen as being a bit counter culture.

BlodwynPig

Fucking hell, should this not be on CBeebies?

Dannyhood91

I really hope Stephens boss gets killed in a grease fire. What a horrible character.

sevendaughters

seeing some wildly diverging opinions on the last episode. my pal who i forced into watching it was like 6/10 after 2 episodes, now is full 10/10. another friend said the last episode was stoner rubbish.

i...liked it!

Ja'moke

I thought it was very good. Does anyone know if they're planning a second series? Or was it always intended as a one-off?

Rev+

Quote from: Ja'moke on June 18, 2019, 10:08:06 PM
I thought it was very good. Does anyone know if they're planning a second series? Or was it always intended as a one-off?

I'd assumed that it was a one-off but that ending did leave a few doors open.  Maybe just so they could continue if it was a massive success, which it sadly doesn't appear to have been.

A pretty good ending to a story that became a bit too big to end in a completely satisfying way.  It's been nice to have something this big and peculiar on British TV.

Openly LOLled at the knee-capping. Deserved.

Alberon

I love the fact that straight after a debate on the Tory Leadership you had an angry monologue about the evils of letting clowns run the world.

I'm pretty sure it was always intended as a one and done series. It's all the better for it really.

The whole thing has been hopelessly optimistic.

olliebean

Quote from: A Hat Like That on June 18, 2019, 10:22:18 PM
Openly LOLled at the knee-capping. Deserved.

Predictable, though. As soon as he smuggled the gun in I knew who would be getting shot.

Regarding the aging, looks like most of them did most of their 15 years aging during the last 5 years.

ian01604

If Stephen sent the file to the police but the police are privatised and presumably owned by Viv Rook how come she still went down?

Ja'moke

Quote from: ian01604 on June 18, 2019, 10:49:14 PM
If Stephen sent the file to the police but the police are privatised and presumably owned by Viv Rook how come she still went down?

I noticed the news report said she was arrested by "the new metropolitan police," which I guess suggested that a new division of police overthrew the government?

ian01604

Also how come the itv newsreader and onscreen presentation didn't change in 30 years?

ian01604

Quote from: Ja'moke on June 18, 2019, 10:54:24 PM
I noticed the news report said she was arrested by "the new metropolitan police," which I guess suggested that a new division of police overthrew the government?
Who presumably outlawed one pound t-shirts and self serve checkouts.

Anyway, really enjoyed it.

BlodwynPig