Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:11:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Years and Years (Russell T Davies)

Started by VelourSpirit, April 21, 2019, 11:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: BritishHobo on May 24, 2019, 01:09:55 PM
I found it believable with the other sister, cos I thought it seemed quite a good take on people getting swept up by someone just because on a surface level they're brash and outspoken. Confused by Jessica Hynes though, because isn't she meant to be a really right-on, globalist, environmental type? Why would she be taken in by someone calling for the country to be insular?

I took it as half sarcastic slower clapping and half as phantom_power described it.

Also, really enjoying having no idea quite where this is going to go.

mjwilson

Quote from: RicoMNKN on May 24, 2019, 12:00:27 AM
(A very minor niggle, but the bank's website should not have been showing a 404. Wrong error message.)

It depends, surely. If the bank deliberately deleted a chunk of the site to stop people accessing it (because they don't want everyone withdrawing their money), a 404 is fine.

RicoMNKN

Quote from: mjwilson on May 25, 2019, 10:49:45 AM
It depends, surely. If the bank deliberately deleted a chunk of the site to stop people accessing it (because they don't want everyone withdrawing their money), a 404 is fine.

You're probably right. I'd taken it as an unexpected traffic surge rather than the bank deliberately removing the pages.

Zetetic

Most realistic would have been a cartoon mascot of the bank being depicted experiencing some mild peril while baby-talking about an extremely unexpected and poorly specified issued in meeting the request, but this would have been a bit too on the nose.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 23, 2019, 08:10:14 PMI very much doubt that RTD is equating that horrific sci-fi scenario [of becoming a piece of living data] with gender transitioning.
No, but I think that bit - and possibly future bits - was meant to be at least slightly challenging to the audience (as it was to her parents) as to what they accept as reasonable aspects of identity and self-modification and why.

But I might just think that because I think that's interesting without being inherently grossly offensive.

phantom_power

There is an episode of "Obsessed With" about this with an interview with RTD and the actress playing Rosie. It is worth a listen

Twed

Quote from: Zetetic on May 25, 2019, 03:48:44 PM
No, but I think that bit - and possibly future bits - was meant to be at least slightly challenging to the audience (as it was to her parents) as to what they accept as reasonable aspects of identity and self-modification and why.
That's what I took from it. As liberally-minded viewers we're all thinking "ah, she's trans, we're comfortable with that" and then they throw in something that is more likely to make us say "bollocks, you can't download your brain", putting us in the same position as somebody from today who thinks your gender can't be what your assigned sex was.

The thing I found most interesting was the populist figure abusing feminism and the Jessica Hynes character finding that offensive. Usually TV stuff doesn't discriminate on feminism and is all-accepting, but this was a change.

phantom_power

Quote from: Twed on May 26, 2019, 05:12:36 AM

The thing I found most interesting was the populist figure abusing feminism and the Jessica Hynes character finding that offensive. Usually TV stuff doesn't discriminate on feminism and is all-accepting, but this was a change.

It did sort of shit the bed on that one though when she was won over so easily

Harry Badger

Quote from: Mister Six on May 15, 2019, 02:32:06 AM
Not seen it yet, but my mate's sister plays a news anchor in this, so that's nice.

My mate is briefly glimpsed as the fat Labour MP in Episode 1.

EDIT - nope, just looked like him

Zetetic

Quote from: phantom_power on May 26, 2019, 11:46:23 AM
It did sort of shit the bed on that one though when she was won over so easily
No, I think that misunderstands Edith's reaction - which is deliberately a little unclear to us (although I think it's also accidentally a little too unclear, as the scene moves a little too fast here).

phantom_power

So you are saying I am misunderstanding the motives of someone we don't know the motives of? OK

Zetetic

I think that there's enough in the scene to suggest that she's not been 'won over' in the sense of earnestly siding with Viv.

beanheadmcginty

Twed

Quote from: Zetetic on May 26, 2019, 01:24:38 PM
No, I think that misunderstands Edith's reaction - which is deliberately a little unclear to us (although I think it's also accidentally a little too unclear, as the scene moves a little too fast here).
Yeah, I agree. I am not sure if she was being sarcastic or if she was swept along with it all because she's dying and thinks "fuck it".

The most likely way for this to go IMO is for Edith and Viv to go head to head in some way, so I'm slightly more on the sarcasm side of things.

Did anybody else think that the Labour politician who corrected Viv was made to look a little like Corbyn, and that he wasn't portrayed as a negative figure?

sevendaughters

watched again with Mrs 7D, she loved it, I noticed a slight error (when he first meets Viktor, he refers to having a boyfriend when we see him get married, 8 POINTS OFF) and watched through the lens of a friend saying he thought it was fine if basically centrism - that there are bad people leading and bad people trying to enact change - but i disagreed with him on that point.

Twed

Quote from: sevendaughters on May 26, 2019, 07:47:50 PM
watched again with Mrs 7D, she loved it, I noticed a slight error (when he first meets Viktor, he refers to having a boyfriend when we see him get married, 8 POINTS OFF)
I think the point was that he was lying about being married

Harry Badger

Quote from: Twed on May 26, 2019, 05:03:32 PM

Did anybody else think that the Labour politician who corrected Viv was made to look a little like Corbyn, and that he wasn't portrayed as a negative figure?

Not sure about that, there was a superficial resemblance but struck me as an old-school working class Labour type but yes, he wasn't out of order correcting her as she was talking shit.

Watched both episodes today and really enjoyed it, though I'm more interested in the macro than the micro with these dystopias, if that makes sense.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Twed on May 26, 2019, 09:17:49 PM
I think the point was that he was lying about being married

I was half cut but w/ev

Twed

Quote from: Harry Badger on May 26, 2019, 09:44:44 PM
Not sure about that, there was a superficial resemblance but struck me as an old-school working class Labour type
It might just be that Corbyn looks like an old-school working class Labour type.

Blinder Data

It's very broad, with shades of his era of Doctor Who (not least thanks to Murray Gold and his clunking great synths & apocalyptic choir). Nice to see RTD's Welsh agenda continues to be as strong as ever.

I am enjoying it though. Not sure about some of the Northern accents though, nor Emma Thompson who's not very charismatic - perhaps that will change.

I've got a feeling one the characters is gonna cark it in a horrible fashion, bet it's Celeste

BritishHobo

I'm still amazed by how horribly queasy that bank sequence made me feel, as someone who was a little bit too young to have taken interest in the recession and the Northen Rock fiasco. On paper, the idea of a well-off family losing a few million quid would make me laugh and laugh, the execution absolutely knackered me. It really effectively put across how fucking vulnerable it all is. Just numbers on a screen, and then sat there refreshing - it was there before, maybe it can come back.

olliebean

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 27, 2019, 12:12:28 AM
I'm still amazed by how horribly queasy that bank sequence made me feel, as someone who was a little bit too young to have taken interest in the recession and the Northen Rock fiasco. On paper, the idea of a well-off family losing a few million quid would make me laugh and laugh, the execution absolutely knackered me. It really effectively put across how fucking vulnerable it all is. Just numbers on a screen, and then sat there refreshing - it was there before, maybe it can come back.

Yeah, only slightly undermined by the fact that the mother still has a fucking 10 bedroom mansion.

sevendaughters

Quote from: olliebean on May 27, 2019, 08:58:29 AM
Yeah, only slightly undermined by the fact that the mother still has a fucking 10 bedroom mansion.

Now on the face of it this is a fair comment but those types of houses, admittedly a little smaller, are commonplace across a lot of south Manchester and it is not inconceivable that they remain in the families of those who may not have been super rich. A lot of them became student places like in Fresh Meat. Plus there's one scene where Viktor tells Muriel the greenhouse is collapsing and Muriel says the whole place is, that they've hardly been able to afford it for years.

Not sure it was quite as good as previous 2, but a lot to like.

"steven"
"stephen"

Zetetic

Took me a second rewatch of the first episode to work out that the Queen was dead.

sevendaughters

Another good episode, I felt. The opening bit with the skype call up to where that bit ended was stomach-churning. The hooks are in on me for this show, so it can't really do much wrong.

neveragain

Loved the scene in the pub. A great sad-family vibe.
Found the sister in the wheelchair's reaction to Tovey's boyfriend trouble amusing. She clearly doesn't give a fuck.

And I'm glad Bethany wasn't harmed, though they shouldn't have shown the googly robot eye in the previous Next Time trail.

two other bits I liked

*the election scene, with the cheeky peek to see if anyone's looking.

*"Toy Story: Resurrection"

ian01604

Quote from: Zetetic on May 26, 2019, 02:16:33 PM
I think that there's enough in the scene to suggest that she's not been 'won over' in the sense of earnestly siding with Viv.
And we saw last night that she didn't vote for her in the election either. I reckon she just got caught up in the moment.

BritishHobo

Dermot O'Leary presenting election night coverage as well, fair fucks to him.

Spent most of that episode feeling sick and claustrophobic. Love it. Long live RTD.