Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:43:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Byrds

Started by holyzombiejesus, April 21, 2019, 11:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howj Begg

Crosby has been a good dude for a number of years now, i think.

And he added me on twitter, so I like him.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 23, 2019, 02:08:46 PM
No argument on either point from me.

I suppose I could say that the 'truck drivin'' phase of the Byrds leaves me a little cold.

I'm not a huge fan of their country rocking period either. Some nice stuff in there, undoubtedly, but I much prefer their folk rock/pop and psychedelic stuff.

SteveDave

Quote from: Howj Begg on April 23, 2019, 02:21:04 PM
Crosby has been a good dude for a number of years now, i think.

And he added me on twitter, so I like him.

Cunt said a song of mine was bad so when he dies I'll be Tweeting "D.R.I.P."* and at-ing him.

*Don't Rest In Peace

gilbertharding

Quote from: SteveDave on April 23, 2019, 02:15:36 PM
I enjoyed Crosby slagging off the Doors on Twitter on the weekend. Like AIDS calling Cancer a bad disease.

Wrong.

Crosby also has the correct opinion about The Eagles. "A mile wide but an inch deep."

holyzombiejesus

In terms of Gene Clark, the ones to go for would be the first one with the Gosdin Brothers, White Light and No Other, along with the two Dillard & Clark albums? I had the Gosdin and one of the D&C albums years ago but must have sold them. I think I may have only bought the former to hear the original version of one of my favourite Yo La Tengo covers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98rKIKzyDp4

Just listened to both and think I still prefer the YLT version.

wosl

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 23, 2019, 02:41:16 PM
Wrong.

He's clearly right about the Doors' keybs bass - why on earth didn't they sort themselves out a proper bassist? - and mainly right about Morrison the poet.  But while Morrison isn't in Crosby's league as a vocalist - few rock artists are - he could be very capable, and served up a number of great performances.  Quite different types of vocalist, Crosby and Morrison, too: so different that toes weren't really going to be stepped on.  Which makes you think that some of the basis of the repeated slaggings from the stocky, always 'big-boned' Crosby might be founded in a lingering memory of getting trampled underfoot in the Whisky A Go Go by girls spotting the arrival of a chiselled Lizard King and trying to run through Crosby to get to Jim.

gilbertharding

Quote from: wosl on April 23, 2019, 05:29:37 PM
'big-boned'

It can't have helped when Dave eventually worked out why it was taking longer and longer to wash his face.

Worst syrup ever, I'd say.

The artistic breadth of the Byrds catalogue, at least from '65 to '69, is pretty stunning. There really was magic in the air

SteveDave

They're both as bad as each other. The best of each of them could fit on one side of a C60 with space left over for "Sister Ray"

wosl

Listened to Untitled yesterday, focusing especially on the studio half: the sound of an engaged band giving it a proper go.  Really good album.  McGuinn sounds as enlivened and purposeful on things like Chestnut Mare, Just A Season and Lover Of The Bayou (on the expanded reissue) as he ever sounded, with everyone else chipping in well throughout (Gene Parsons' handling of Yesterday's Train is proper heartwarming).  What a great piece of work to come up with in what was essentially the beginning of the wind-down for them.

Dr Rock

Dr Rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgfiN0rbdpI

And of course Crosby's beautiful ode, 'come on love let's have a threesome'