Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:58:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shenmue

Started by The Boston Crab, April 22, 2019, 02:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm bored of HI-NRG gaming like shmups and all that arcade crap so I'm going to play something with a bit of atmosphere and heart to it. I was gonna play Skyrim again but it crashed on me because of too many mods. I was gonna play Persona 5 but my save file is locked behind PS+ and I'm not doing thirty hours again or paying those Sony wanks a dime. Gonna play SotC for the first time but the opening just seemed the same old fortune cookie wibbling on about bollocks and I uninstalled it without even thinking about it. I don't want to push too many buttons today so Shenmue it is. I tried it when the HD remasters came out and it seemed unbearable but I'm prepared to give it a proper try to find something with any meaning in this medium. The soundtrack is amazing so far, these really sad ominous SEGA synths.

Is this going to be the one to save my hangover Monday?

Love the music, especially on the menu/pause screen. Love the voice work. Love the sparsenesss and atmosphere. Love how low-key it is. Struggling with the controls quite a bit, not especially charming in the same way but I've got some motivation to carry on, at least. Might play The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa instead, though.

Timothy

I played this a few months ago. Was looking forward to it for years. Never played it before I got the remaster.

The music is great, but that's all I liked about this game. It's incredibly outdated , tedious and the remaster has a lot of bugs. Easy cash grab for SEGA unfortunately.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Timothy on April 22, 2019, 03:40:30 PM
The music is great, but that's all I liked about this game. It's incredibly outdated , tedious and the remaster has a lot of bugs. Easy cash grab for SEGA unfortunately.

Personally, I love Shenmue and was looking forward to revisiting it via the remaster but then I heard about all of the bugs and never bothered.  The original Dreamcast version was more or less bug free, or at least very polished.  Does anyone know if they ever sorted out the issues with the remaster via a patch or twenty, as I'd still like to play it?

Johnny Textface

How can a remaster have bugs in it? Did they refractor it or are the bugs purely graphical? Sounds a strange state of affairs anyway.

It's plops now anyway. Nostalgia buzz only.

Timothy

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 22, 2019, 05:55:53 PM
Personally, I love Shenmue and was looking forward to revisiting it via the remaster but then I heard about all of the bugs and never bothered.  The original Dreamcast version was more or less bug free, or at least very polished.  Does anyone know if they ever sorted out the issues with the remaster via a patch or twenty, as I'd still like to play it?

Dont bother with it unless its free on PSN, Xbox or when its a few pounds in a Steam sale. Its garbage and loveless cashgrab of a port.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Johnny Textface on April 22, 2019, 06:50:42 PM
How can a remaster have bugs in it? Did they refractor it or are the bugs purely graphical? Sounds a strange state of affairs anyway.

Apparently there are a whole bevvy of bugs that weren't present in the original version.  I'm not entirely sure how a developer manages to fuck things up that much, but they found a way, I guess.

Quote from: Johnny Textface on April 22, 2019, 06:50:42 PM
It's plops now anyway. Nostalgia buzz only.

Eh, not to me.  I last replayed it a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.  Beyond mere nostalgia, I mean.

Quote from: Timothy on April 22, 2019, 07:47:58 PM
Dont bother with it unless its free on PSN, Xbox or when its a few pounds in a Steam sale. Its garbage and loveless cashgrab of a port.

I guess that I'll stick with my original copy but damn, that's annoying.  I don't want to have to drag out my Dreamcast every time that I want to replay it.  Aside from anything else, the Dreamcast is a seriously LOUD console.  The fans whir like nobodies business and the disc accessing noise is equally irritating.  Furthermore, the VMU makes an ear piercing beeping sound every time that I turn the console on because it's out of batteries.  It's not a neighbour friendly console at all.

madhair60

Bazooka

I've not played it since the Dreamcast days, yet I can retrospectively say its one of the greatest computer games ever developed. Yet I have no doubt the movement of Ryu will feel clunky now.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Weird how movement in the third person world mode was quite clunky (you either walk too slowly but precisely where you want, or lurch off in different directions) yet the fighting beat em up sections are fluid and half decent even today with a true sense of combat and characters colliding (especially if you play shit like Street Fighter).

Moribunderast

The Consolevania review of this last year made me cry.

It does look severely outdated by today's standards. I ain't played it but from what I've seen it basically was used as a template for the Yakuza games - and they re probably more fun to play nowadays as they are great and recently remastered.