Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:08:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Always On My Mind by Pet Shop Boys

Started by madhair60, April 23, 2019, 08:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Stone cold synthpop banger. Fact. Don't like it, leave CaB.

thraxx

We are called the Pet Shop Boys and we litter our songs with this irritating noise *dee di-di de de*

machotrouts

Not even in the top 200 Pet Shop Boys songs

Gregory Torso

It's a great song and I love it.

Whenever I argue with my wife, which is very often, I always end up singing this to her with tears in my eyes. She doesn't like any of it - the song, the singing or me - but I still do it because I mean it.

And I sing the Pet Shop Boys version, at that tempo, not the Elvis because his voice is too deep.

Other songs I sing to my beloved to apologise for my pathetic wormlike existence include "Always" by Erasure and the Chinese National Anthem.

PlanktonSideburns

Music to play whilst playing toe jam and Earl on a mega drive mini

madhair60

Stop bullying me or I will report you to the moderator and have you permanently banned.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Singer has such a monotonous delivery. Works for some of their songs but not this one requiring soul and emotion in the vocal performance.

madhair60

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 23, 2019, 09:07:33 AM
Singer has such a monotonous delivery. Works for some of their songs but not this one requiring soul and emotion in the vocal performance.

I don't know how you managed it, but you've typed the actual AIDS virus there.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Gregory Torso on April 23, 2019, 08:40:28 AM

Other songs I sing to my beloved to apologise for my pathetic wormlike existence include "Too Drunk To Fuck" by Dead Kennedys and "Rusted Guns Of Milan " by Art Brut.

FTFY.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I bought this song when it first came out. The only other Pets Shop Boys song I ever bought was " Left To My Own Devices ", but I also have a soft spot for that song they did with Liza Minelli, and I saw them live in Moscow in 2012.

A perfectly good contribution to this thread by me.

madhair60

gilbertharding

My favourite thing about this song was the story that Janet Street Porter cornered The Boys at a party and told him that they should release 'that Elvis song you do' as a single - unaware that it had already been the 1987 Christmas Number 1.

I'm afraid I enjoy this story because I despise Janet Street Porter and it highlights her specific brand of utter stupidity.

EOLAN

As someone who has got worn down by 'Fairytale of New York' as a breath of fresh air Christmas song; I kind of like how Jem Finer and co. are annoyed that the Pet Shop Boys kept them off No. 1.
My favourite version is the Willie Nelson one myself. Of 'Always on my Mind' that is; he's a close second to Christy Moore for 'Fairytale of New York' is good old Willie.

earl_sleek

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 23, 2019, 09:07:33 AM

I think the ordinariness of his delivery makes it more relateable, whereas Elvis' version, while technically better sung, is also more detached, like an artefact that's just there. I mean, who can relate to Elvis?

Gregory Torso

Well yes, that is why I would never sing the Elvis version to my wife.

phantom_power

Quote from: earl_sleek on April 23, 2019, 11:12:19 AM
I think the ordinariness of his delivery makes it more relateable, whereas Elvis' version, while technically better sung, is also more detached, like an artefact that's just there. I mean, who can relate to Elvis?

Yeah, the emotion is in the music and the vocals juxtapose with their relative monotony. Although they are positively soaring compared to a lot of PSB vocals

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: earl_sleek on April 23, 2019, 11:12:19 AM

It doesn't sound detached at all, it's torn from the miserable depths of his lonely, fucked up middle-aged soul. He's singing about Priscilla, who had just left him. I think most people can relate to the sincere remorse he expresses in that performance.

Danger Man

Quote from: madhair60 on April 23, 2019, 08:11:23 AM
Stone cold synthpop banger. Fact. Don't like it, leave CaB.

It's no DJ Culture

Icehaven

I love it, and the video from ICHH

In fact I love the whole film and wish they'd hurry up and release it on DVD.

Chriddof

Love this song, love this band, and I'm honestly a bit surprised by some of the replies here. I tend to forget how so many people dislike them for whatever reason. This thread is reminding me a bit of a segment from Chris Morris's Boxing Day GLR show from 1991. Right after he's played a PSB track, he announces that he got a phone call in the studio from someone while it was playing, who just barked "THIS SONG'S CRAP" and hung up.

And yeah, the video is great. I'm interested in seeing the full film - I've only seen a couple of clips outside the promo, like Gareth Hunt delivering an overly dramatic monologue in a cafe about ordering a fry-up.

Icehaven

Quote from: Chriddof on April 23, 2019, 12:42:06 PM
I'm interested in seeing the full film - I've only seen a couple of clips outside the promo, like Gareth Hunt delivering an overly dramatic monologue in a cafe about ordering a fry-up.

It was on Youtube in it's entirety (albeit low quality) a few years ago, if it still is I'll link to it below. I've got the VHS but no longer have a working player so haven't seen it for a while. 

Edit: Yep here it is, although this was only posted a few months ago so hopefully might be better quality than the one I was thinking of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1k6AHhXJDk

pigamus

My mom bought the album off the back of it in 1988, and even now I still expect it to go "You are always in my house" at the end.

buzby

Quote from: icehaven on April 23, 2019, 12:33:30 PM
I love it, and the video from ICHH

In fact I love the whole film and wish they'd hurry up and release it on DVD.
I'm pretty certain I saw the film on TV, over a Christmas holiday (1989?). I've never had it on VHS and it was before we had satellite, so it must have been on a terrestrial channel.

Icehaven

Quote from: buzby on April 23, 2019, 02:38:14 PM
I'm pretty certain I saw the film on TV, over a Christmas holiday (1989?). I've never had it on VHS and it was before we had satellite, so it must have been on a terrestrial channel.

My VHS copy is an actual released one but I think an old mate of mine had a TV taped copy that we watched (which was the first time I saw it) in the late 90s (dunno when he taped it though, could have been years earlier). Wikipedia says a DVD release has apparently been mooted but never acted upon, which is a shame.

Kept Fairy Tale of New York from Christmas No 1 and I'm fine with that.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: madhair60 on April 23, 2019, 09:01:16 AM
Stop bullying me or I will report you to the moderator and have you permanently banned.

Don't forget to mention you like this song and see what happens to your account

PaulTMA

I can't remember if it's even on the single version, but I like how at the end he sings "maybe I didn't love you..." and then leaves it at that.  Somewhat cold.

Jockice

Quote from: thecuriousorange on April 23, 2019, 03:24:08 PM
Kept Fairy Tale of New York from Christmas No 1 and I'm fine with that.

Exactly what I was going to say. And I say that as a Pogues fan in general.

MidnightShambler

I asked my sister for the album that this came from (can't remember the title or even if it was on an album, I was 7 years old so I just wanted more than one song by them) and I was so upset to find c-60 copies of Bad and Popped In, Souled Out under the tree instead. And to make matters worse, she'd borrowed them off her mate and I had to give them back after a fortnight. Christ.

I'm not a massive PSB fan but I love this one, fucking brilliant.