Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:14:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Always On My Mind by Pet Shop Boys

Started by madhair60, April 23, 2019, 08:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Quote from: Nowhere Man on April 24, 2019, 12:54:54 AM
"You know my heart keeps tellin' me
You're not a kid at thirty-three
Play around you'll lose your wife
Play too long you'll lose your life"
That's shit, he's just saying blues things and then making the easiest rhyme ever

Jockice

Quote from: Gulftastic on April 23, 2019, 08:09:01 PM
No, before it got played to death and became everyone's default 'fave Xmas single' it was great. Wold have been a worthy number one on it's release.

I'd started intensely disliking it before the 80s had even ended. And as I've said, I loved The Pogues.

Icehaven

To bring it back to PSB, What Have I Done To Deserve This? is their best single.

It is one of their best indeed. When I saw them at Glastonbury they brought Cerys Matthews on to do it, which wasn't awful but wasn't great.

Phil_A

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 23, 2019, 09:07:33 AM
Singer has such a monotonous delivery. Works for some of their songs but not this one requiring soul and emotion in the vocal performance.

This is a bit like listening to the Flying Lizards version of Money and complaining "Why couldn't she just sing it properly."

Being aloof, detached and haughty is the whole raison d'être of PSB.

Norton Canes

Reckon they should've just gone with the Love Me Tender footage for the promo video.

The bit just after the 2:40 mark on the Introspective version is one of the coolest moments of any PSB track and therefore of pop music in general.

mrpupkin

Song is excellent, Pet Shop Boys version is pointless karaoke shit. Cheers.

Crabwalk

^ For it to be 'pointless karaoke shit' wouldn't the backing track have to be similar to the original's?

I regret to inform you that your review has been rejected.

Dr Rock

Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues is a good latter day Elvis ballad, seems to have hit pretty close to his own life in the 70s, since he omitted the original verse about "popping pills to ease the pain".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk4eQTVNTaw

"You know my heart keeps tellin' me
You're not a kid at thirty-three
Play around you'll lose your wife
Play too long you'll lose your life"

Love this song, I collect every version ever recorded. Been singing it all day thanks to you bringing it up, then did a good* karaoke version on ace karaoke app Smule.

*By my standards. Objectively it wasn't very good.

Twed

Due to being by dead Elvis, who is worse than even one Pet Shop Boy AND worse than Mrs Warboys

alan nagsworth

Quote from: mrpupkin on April 24, 2019, 10:18:30 AM
Song is excellent, Pet Shop Boys version is pointless karaoke shit. Cheers.

The words "pointless" and "karaoke" don't belong in the same sentence. Get to fuck.

mrpupkin

Sounds like a backing track made for karaoke machines and then sung along to by a pointless cunt in a karaoke booth. Cheers.

alan nagsworth

madhair60

alan nagsworth

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 24, 2019, 05:25:31 PM
Even Elvis likes it and he's dead.

I bet he would've liked it, actually (the dirty old bollocks).