Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:13:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shows or maybe films where you couldn't buy into the FUNDAMENTAL PREMISE

Started by Clownbaby, April 23, 2019, 10:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Quote from: hummingofevil on April 27, 2019, 03:24:14 AM
It's impossible to sing the theme tune for Going For Gold without somehow seguing into the end of the theme from Going Live!

Edit: ignore that. I have literally just done it without doing that.

I love the way the bloke singing is giving it everything.
You can picture him in the studio, clasping his headphones - like Springsteen on 'We Are The World'.

imitationleather

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on April 27, 2019, 11:48:28 AM
Bargain Hunt. They are purchasing at retail and selling at trade. It's the wrong way round.

That's actually a very good point.

petril

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 27, 2019, 02:47:57 PM
I love the way the bloke singing is giving it everything.
You can picture him in the studio, clasping his headphones - like Springsteen on 'We Are The World'.

number of fist drops easily in double figures

Icehaven

It took me a while of viewing Home and Away to realise (and the clue's in the name) that a lot of the characters (particularly the youger ones) are living in Summer Bay with someone other than family, usually due to some issues or other. The one house being a foster home (Pippa's) fair doos but so many others in such a small place constantly taking on a revolving door of troubled teens etc? Serious questions would be asked now.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 25, 2019, 04:32:46 PM
Coronation Street - All that trouble happening on one street? I'll believe it when I see it, nimrod!

Used to say exactly the same thing about Brookside, only that was a small cul-de-sac so even more absurd. Think there was a cult, an explosion and an incestuous relationship all in 3 neighbouring houses at one point.

Bazooka

Quote from: icehaven on April 28, 2019, 10:16:03 AM
It took me a while of viewing Home and Away to realise (and the clue's in the name) that a lot of the characters (particularly the youger ones) are living in Summer Bay with someone other than family, usually due to some issues or other. The one house being a foster home (Pippa's) fair doos but so many others in such a small place constantly taking on a revolving door of troubled teens etc? Serious questions would be asked now.

Used to say exactly the same thing about Brookside, only that was a small cul-de-sac so even more absurd. Think there was a cult, an explosion and an incestuous relationship all in 3 neighbouring houses at one point.

Also too many houses for the amount of faces we saw, where was everyone else, its unimaginable what heinous acts they were up to.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: icehaven on April 28, 2019, 10:16:03 AM

Wouldn't expect any less from Liverpudlians.

Twed

Quote from: Hey, Punk! on April 25, 2019, 11:41:20 AM
I also think there was a section where a wizard admitted that a muggle military could basically wipe out the wizarding world.
Haha, excellent, I want them to make that one.

mothman

paruses

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on April 27, 2019, 11:48:28 AM
Bargain Hunt. They are purchasing at retail and selling at trade. It's the wrong way round.

One for the obvious things thread. Thanks for this - it always niggled that there was something wrong with the premise.

Also - didn't someone on here say that when they buy a vase marked up at £15k for £40 that the production team  just pay the difference anyway? Or am I mixing it up with that car dealer programme?

The Incredible Hulk - the obvious point about the trousers not splitting when he transitions but also the suspensions of disbelief needed in every episode that nobody would ever see him transition. Banner would also be smart enough to know that turning himself in would be better odds for his future than risking someone blowing his head off with a gun when the hulk attacks them.

Love Thy Neighbour - that something so badly written and acted could get on peak time TV. The audience was presumably just waiting for the racist epithets to start flying, ignoring the lack of plot or characterization.

Gambit - how the fuck do you make a game of pontoon exciting?

Blankety Blank - celebs pretending they weren't fed the most popular matches in advance. Nobody ever gives a shit answer.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Phil_A on April 24, 2019, 07:26:59 PM
The Book Of Henry

You've just reminded me of The Book of Eli.  I was enjoying it well enough as a kind of dumbed down version of The Road crossed with Mad Max but then the twist at the end happened and I said "oh, fuck right off".

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 25, 2019, 11:50:33 AM
Shallow Grave. As much as I love that film, why didn't they just hide the money and then call the police and let them deal with the body?

Huh... that's a great point.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 25, 2019, 07:21:45 PM
Diagnosis Murder. Dick Van Dyke pretending to be a doctor and Barry Van Dyke pretending to be an actor.

Has there ever been a great actor with the first name Barry?  Other than Chuckle, I mean.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on April 28, 2019, 09:20:31 PM
Blankety Blank - celebs pretending they weren't fed the most popular matches in advance. Nobody ever gives a shit answer.

I watched the new US version of that last year and I don't think they're fed the answers, some of the stuff they come up with is bizarrely shit. Either way I quite like both as they're endearingly naff.

Ferris

F.R.I.E.N.D.S.

6 people maintain close friendships into their mid 30s? Pull the other one

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Ferris

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 29, 2019, 11:14:01 AM
What was the title an acronym for?

Was going to start a thread in HS Art on this very topic but didn't have the energy especially with the tropical fruit discussion I'm hosting on there which is taking up a lot of my time (plus looking after my infant son who is a close second in terms of time/effort sinks. It's mainly the fruit thing though if I'm honest).

Edit: went ahead with it https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,72908.msg3813710/topicseen.html#new

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

St_Eddie

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 25, 2019, 06:13:32 PM
Columbo.The criminals can't all be arrogant and stupid enough to give Columbo all the information he needs.

Ever seen a Louis Theroux documentary?  Columbo has.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: hummingofevil on April 27, 2019, 03:24:14 AM
It's impossible to sing the theme tune for Going For Gold without somehow seguing into the end of the theme from Going Live!

Edit: ignore that. I have literally just done it without doing that.

written by hans zimmer, the GFG theme was.

so I'm going to come right out & say it. fundamental premise-wise, "blade runner". bollocks.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on April 29, 2019, 10:03:26 PMso I'm going to come right out & say it. fundamental premise-wise, "blade runner". bollocks.
You don't think people will shag robots?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 25, 2019, 11:50:33 AM
Shallow Grave. As much as I love that film, why didn't they just hide the money and then call the police and let them deal with the body?

I have a similar problem with Morvern Callar.

Nobody Soup

Deadpool

Man is given a chance at recovering from terminal illness.
Treatment works but leaves him with severe skin problems.
man goes on murderous rampage to kill the man that saved his life.

I was just thinking "wait, so he doesn't have terminal cancer anymore? and he's not spoken to his wife yet? and we're supposed to root for this guy killing all these people?"

Clownbaby

Quote from: Nobody Soup on April 29, 2019, 11:08:50 PM
Deadpool

Man is given a chance at recovering from terminal illness.
Treatment works but leaves him with severe skin problems.
man goes on murderous rampage to kill the man that saved his life.

I was just thinking "wait, so he doesn't have terminal cancer anymore? and he's not spoken to his wife yet? and we're supposed to root for this guy killing all these people?"

Ialso don't buy into the whole notion that he is funny,because he desperately isn't

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 29, 2019, 10:22:37 PM
You don't think people will shag robots?

they already do. no, it's that I don't think people will create androids (n.b. not robots, but synthetic humans) to do unpleasant tasks "off-world", wherever the fuck that's supposed to be anyway.

if the premise of the flick was that these androids were sex-workers & were fed up about their limited life-span & the natures of their existences, the whole thing would be dramatically improved.

the climactic speech of batty boy's would need a tweak.... "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe", that part could stay though.

St_Eddie

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on April 29, 2019, 11:33:12 PM
they already do. no, it's that I don't think people will create androids (n.b. not robots, but synthetic humans) to do unpleasant tasks "off-world", wherever the fuck that's supposed to be anyway.

Well, it all depends on how far technology and A.I. progresses, I suppose.  As technology improves, the cutting edge technology of yesterday becomes cheaper to produce and manufacture.  If we, as a species, were theoretically able to manufacture robots/synthetics and do so relatively cheaply due to the sheer progression of technology/genetics as a whole, then it's not inconceivable that those robots/synthetics may be utilised as a form of slave labour.  It all comes down to what's more cost effective; a human with a wage packet, healthcare, holidays and sick leave, or a one off payment for a synthetic.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 29, 2019, 11:59:07 PM
Well, it all depends on how far technology and A.I. progresses, I suppose.  As technology improves, the cutting edge technology of yesterday becomes cheaper to produce and manufacture.  If we, as a species, were theoretically able to manufacture robots/synthetics and do so relatively cheaply due to the sheer progression of technology/genetics as a whole, then it's not inconceivable that those robots/synthetics may be utilised as a form of slave labour.

quite, but it's a stretch. too much of a stretch for me.

Dr Rock

But seeing they can go rogue, wouldn't you make them blue or something more easily detectable that the via Voight-Komf test?