Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:43:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Don't Worry, Kyoko (Mummy's Only Looking For Her Hand In The Snow)

Started by Gregory Torso, April 23, 2019, 09:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Torso

How have I never heard this before?

Don't Worry Kyoko

Proto-Boredoms fuck you slide guitar into hell repetitious satori. I almost want to like John Lennon. The beginning is a real test and I love being tested!
I've listened to this song four times now. God, it's great. It's even better than Charles & Eddie's "Would I Lie To You", and I rarely say that about any song.

This song is absolutely putting me to bed. This is a song that cuts its own hair and then goes out drinking, wasted and powerful. A heart-broken mother talking to her estranged child while a couple of dry crotch mummies wrapped in cocaine and wank stiffened toilet paper shred guitars and lick hieroglyphs in the background.

Anyway, thread., what songs that are "extremely YOUR shit" escaped you for a long time until you found them and said fuck yeay.

Sin Agog

Listen to the whole first two albums, dude.  We got into a thing about her on here a few months ago, and my private conclusion was that all the people who don't like her would have spent all their earnings buying rotten fruit at the rotten fruit stand to lob at Jeanne d'Arc on her way to the stake back in the day, and I am right about that.  Briefly chatted to Yoko herself about the track Why at some eco event a few years back and fell a little in love with her.

yeah the first two Yoko albums are immense, well worth giving them a shot

Ferris

Quote from: Gregory Torso on April 23, 2019, 09:44:07 PM

Don't Worry Kyoko

Proto-Boredoms fuck you slide guitar into hell repetitious satori. I almost want to like John Lennon. The beginning is a real test and I love being tested!
I've listened to this song four times now. God, it's great. It's even better than Charles & Eddie's "Would I Lie To You", and I rarely say that about any song.

This song is absolutely putting me to bed. This is a song that cuts its own hair and then goes out drinking, wasted and powerful. A heart-broken mother talking to her estranged child while a couple of dry crotch mummies wrapped in cocaine and wank stiffened toilet paper shred guitars and lick hieroglyphs in the background.

Anyway, thread., what songs that are "extremely YOUR shit" escaped you for a long time until you found them and said fuck yeay.

I am a later-in-life convert to both Pavement and the Mountain Goats. They are totally my shit, but I just didn't know.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Gregory Torso on April 23, 2019, 09:44:07 PM

Don't Worry Kyoko

State of the fucking comments on this. Beatles "bros" aggressively sucking each other off in their mire of unmitigated and quite clearly sexist hatred of Yoko Ono. They gang up on so many of her videos like this, it's embarrassing.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 23, 2019, 10:20:18 PM
I am a later-in-life convert to both Pavement and the Mountain Goats. They are totally my shit, but I just didn't know.

Have you ever heard the Silver Jews (Steve Malkmus and Bob Nastanovich were in the band)? David Berman is by far my favourite lyricist.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 23, 2019, 10:43:30 PM
State of the fucking comments on this. Beatles "bros" aggressively sucking each other off in their mire of unmitigated and quite clearly sexist hatred of Yoko Ono. They gang up on so many of her videos like this, it's embarrassing.

Never read Youtube comments. One of the rules of the internet.

non capisco

"Weeeeelll, I think Yoko's music is ber-luddy rotten. As I said to the boys at the time, this chick's out of her ber-luddy mind. It's all just a lot of ber-luddy shouting. Avant garde? Avant garde any ber-luddy talent, more like it! Peace and love, erm...Rrats Ognir, yes, that'll do."

Howj Begg

Does the "first two" not include Approximately Infinite Universe? Cos I think that's her best all round album, as good as Plastic Ono Band and Fly are.

Don't worry Kyoko is, of course storming.

grassbath

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 23, 2019, 10:43:30 PM

It's always worth remembering that there are plenty of Beatles fans who like Yoko and/or her music, or at least are smart enough to treat her existence with some nuance. Sadly, they just aren't the kind who tend to post comments on YouTube.

DrGreggles

Yoko is possibly the person who has received the least sympathy ever after having their husband murdered right in front of her.
I always get pissed off when I see her getting slated - usually for no good reason.

"But she broke up The Beatles."
Oh, fuck off!

Sin Agog

Quote from: Howj Begg on April 23, 2019, 11:06:54 PM
Does the "first two" not include Approximately Infinite Universe? Cos I think that's her best all round album, as good as Plastic Ono Band and Fly are.

Don't worry Kyoko is, of course storming.

There is some genuinely great proto-New Wave and feminist songwriting on there, but Elephant's Memory, her backing group, sometimes sound like a bunch of dads in Steve's garage (we're not allowed to use Mike's because the mother-in-law's round).  Naw, they're not that bad.  Just tied squarely to the mid-'70s.  It's a good album.

Only Japanese band I've seen publicly acknowledge her as an influence is Melt Banana.

SteveDave

Like all double LPs there's a really good single album in "Approximate Infinite Universe" that features the following:

Yang Yang
Death Of Samantha
I Want My Love To Rest Tonight
What Did I Do?
Approximate Infinite Universe
Peter The Dealer
Catman
What A Bastard The World Is
I Felt Like Smashing My Face...
What A Mess!
Move On Fast   

...in some order or other.

I Felt Like Smashing My Face In A Clear Glass Window is an absolute banger though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFwmkA4HIps

the science eel

'Move On Fast' might be the place to start if you're scared off by the screeching and jamming of the first couple of albums. It's a very good tune.

SteveDave

Also, the opening verse of "What A Mess" is great:

If you keep hammering anti-abortion,
We'll tell you no more masturbation for men.
Ev'ry day you're killing living sperms in billions,
So how do you feel about that, brother?

alan nagsworth

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 23, 2019, 11:37:21 PM
"But she broke up The Beatles."
Oh, fuck off!

If she did then really she was doing them a favour at that point.

I don't actually know or care if she did or not (she probably didn't) but yeah that argument comes from the same cesspool of LADS who like their SIMPLE FEELINGS ROCK and accept that the weirder side of The Beatles was JUST LADS HAVING A GOOD TIME NO HARM NO FOUL. But of course the real avant garde turns up seemingly personified by one woman just because she's in the public eye and the natural conclusion is that she's a talentless banshee hell bent on breaking up the LADS HAVING A GOOD TIME. What a crock of shit.

SteveDave

You can almost guarantee they would've made a reggae LP had they stayed together.

Epic Bisto

Yoko is brilliant.  Her first three albums are great and I'll defend them against anyone.  The amount of shit that's been flung at her over the years would've destroyed weaker people, and it's been some venomous and evil shit too.  Despite that, she never gave a fuck and carried on doing what she wants.  Also, she's outlived many of the baby boomer bastards that screech about how she broke up the Beatles (the four Mopfabs did a good job of that by themselves).  And let's not forget that she starting participating in the whole Fluxus movement while ARE FOR LADS had only just stopped tugging each other in Paul's bedroom.

"Why" and "Don't Worry Kyoko" are killer tunes and much more purer outpouring of emotions than anything on Beatle John's Janov trip.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: SteveDave on April 24, 2019, 05:19:04 PM
You can almost guarantee they would've made a reggae LP had they stayed together.

If I'd written "Imagine" I definitely would have replaced "heaven" with "reggae". In fact I probably would have made the entire thing about the dismissal of reggae.

DrGreggles

alan nagsworth

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 24, 2019, 05:30:18 PM
Probably works better as a lover's rock song anyway:
https://youtu.be/hWE5VGTrAgM

jesus f͇̥͗͌u̯̪̠͊̀̑C̻͙̅̀̓ͅĶ̛̙͗Ĭ̲̠̤̝̻͑̽̕͘͟͠͞ͅṄ̩̘̞̮̾̌̽G̖͚̈͠ ͔͎̩̝̙̫̠̫͐̔̆̎̿͛́̔Ç̢̗̳̝͈̟̗̣̜̿̋̒̄̔̃̌́͋̑͜͡H̙̩͓͈̊͂̎̚Ṛ̲͙̬̇͊̚̚I̢͍̲͙͉͔̖̠̘̙͚̲̰͋̒̾̋́̃̊͋͌͐̔͛͐̚͜S̭̮̥̮̘̯̫͉͔͖͔̱̀̉̽̑͗͐̊̐́̐̈́̎Ț̳͈͖̖͈͍̯͎̫͇̖̖̯̳͎̩͇͍̱̪̱͉̟͋̏̍̈̀̑̽̎́̿̅͌͂͛̑̇̋̎̅͑̕͟͠͝͞͝

Sin Agog

Has anyone ever written a good Yoko Ono biography?  The closest I've seen is the section on her in Julian Cope's Japrocksampler, where it seems like she lived several fascinating lives ere she ever encountered a Liverpudlian.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 23, 2019, 10:20:18 PM

Funny, I got into Pavement late last year too due to some chance Spotify pairing.  One of those band names you hear often but never actually listen to unless it happens by chance.  As Greg Torso mentioned, I also got into one Silver Jews song as a result (Random Rules, it's great).

phantom_power

I am no rockist and am a fan of all sorts of eclectic stuff. I also have nothing against Yoko and am sure she is a committed artist and lovely person. However, I can't understand why anyone would want to listen to her yelping all over those songs. The one linked in the original post would be great if you took those vocals off.

I suppose I am not the audience for it really as I am not a fan of extreme noise music generally but can someone explain what is good about atonal yelping in songs? Is it just the outburst of emotion?

Ferris

Quote from: Gregory Torso on April 23, 2019, 10:49:25 PM
Have you ever heard the Silver Jews (Steve Malkmus and Bob Nastanovich were in the band)? David Berman is by far my favourite lyricist.

Sorry I completely missed this. I will investigate - I don't have much time for music but will throw some in next time I have an hour spare. Is there a good record to start with?

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 25, 2019, 08:21:45 AM
Funny, I got into Pavement late last year too due to some chance Spotify pairing.  One of those band names you hear often but never actually listen to unless it happens by chance.  As Greg Torso mentioned, I also got into one Silver Jews song as a result (Random Rules, it's great).

To be honest, lots of people saying "ooh they're great!" puts me off bands because other people have such uniformly rubbish opinions. That probably contributed to me putting off Pavement. Will give tSJ a go, see above. Thanks!

Head Gardener

I heard this for the first time as the B side to Cold Turkey when I was about 11, my dad had singles and I played this over and over with my friends and we thought it was hilarious
and it also did my head in

Gregory Torso

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 25, 2019, 02:39:47 PM
Is there a good record to start with?

I'd recommend starting with American Water. My favourite is The Natural Bridge. Also if you dig Berman's lyrics, I'd highly recommend his book of poetry, Actual Air.