Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:36:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Don't Worry, Kyoko (Mummy's Only Looking For Her Hand In The Snow)

Started by Gregory Torso, April 23, 2019, 09:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on April 23, 2019, 10:17:02 PM
yeah the first two Yoko albums are immense, well worth giving them a shot
Approximately Infinite Universe is pretty damn good, too.

biggytitbo

I'm no expert on Yoko's stuff but ive heard a fair bit over the years and I think some of it is really good (Don't worry kyoko is a favourite), the idea shes some atonal talentless fraud is clearly a Beatles bro myth. Equally though, the idea shes actually some vast genius even beyond the Beatles is equally an absurd stretch. Most of her actual art is trite and stupid, but her music is interesting in its own right, to a point.

Sin Agog

I dunno, she was one of the main proponents of the Fluxus movement which, like a lot of arty things described in the cold, crime scene language of the straight world, sounds like indulgent bollocks, but was actually quite a cool thing I think.  That kinda shit's important to stop the world from becoming a utilitarian nightmare.

popcorn

Quote from: Gregory Torso on April 23, 2019, 09:44:07 PM
How have I never heard this before?

Don't Worry Kyoko

I just clicked this and scared the shit out of my gf, who was sleeping next to me. She screamed and hit me. She is Japanese (though not called Kyoko).

McChesney Duntz

What about the infamous B-52s "cover" of it that got removed from all versions of Whammy! past the first one? Oddly, it sounds way less like Yoko than certain segments of "Rock Lobster" do...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioNtn3tKP_A

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: popcorn on May 05, 2019, 03:15:36 AM
I just clicked this and scared the shit out of my gf, who was sleeping next to me. She screamed and hit me. She is Japanese (though not called Kyoko).

whether this comment on the video is true or not, it did make me laugh

QuoteI have secretly downloaded this to my wife's tablet and set it for her 3 a.m. alarm. This should be awesome.

Epic Bisto

https://tremendousproteinvalue.blogspot.com/2019/05/what-bastard-world-is-in-praise-of-yoko.html

You lot have encouraged me to write about 3000 words in praise of Mrs Ono.  I'm no author, but hopefully the fevered scribbles make some sort of sense.

Sin Agog

Awesome.  Almost singlehandedly makes up for that Esquire headline: 'John Lennon's Excrusive Gloupie.' Cheers for linking it!

Epic Bisto

Thanks for the kind words.  When the hell did that Esquire thing get published? I wouldn't be surprised if it was recent, and it was some Tim Lovejoy-esque cunt responsible too.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on May 11, 2019, 06:33:35 PM
https://classic.esquire.com/article/1970/12/1/john-rennons-excrusive-gloupie

Wow.  I've known of that headline forever, but never read the actual article before.  I just assumed it was a slab of rawboned racism from someone with a framed painting of Robert E Lee on their wall.  In reality it was a bait and switch bit of beatnik irony for an empathetic under the microscope examination of Yoko's life until then and her psychological makeup at the time.  Nothing, nothing at all like I imagined.  You have my sincere apologies for my reactionary slandering of your venerable name, Esquire!

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Epic Bisto on May 11, 2019, 02:26:09 PM
https://tremendousproteinvalue.blogspot.com/2019/05/what-bastard-world-is-in-praise-of-yoko.html

You lot have encouraged me to write about 3000 words in praise of Mrs Ono.  I'm no author, but hopefully the fevered scribbles make some sort of sense.

I enjoyed reading this, cheers!

grassbath

Quote from: Epic Bisto on May 11, 2019, 02:26:09 PM

Great post. Good job on calling out that Bill Burr bit. Always struck me as disingenuous and sexist.

Gregory Torso

Bumping this thread because I keep coming back to this song and all the conflicting emotions I can hear in Yoko's vocals. Maybe it's the repetitive, relatively simple nature of the music backing them that accentuates them. I hear sadness as the dominant feel, behind and sometimes over the playfulness, defiance, desperation and assurance of telling your child not to worry. Mostly I think it's my own situation as well, being separated from my son and wanting him to know that it's going to be ok, one day, it's going to be all ok.
I feel it, you know. All the shit and hate thrown her way, "Yoko Ono" becoming a lazy hack shorthand way of dismissing something that you don't understand, the archetype "bitch who broke up the band". I feel bad for Cortney Love in a similar way, although I don't like her music at all.
I'm glad Yoko is still going. Fuck the haters.
My son got some silkworms for his birthday and they just hatched out into moths. He tried to call me at work to show them to me, but I couldn't answer. Some tattooed mound of glands and attitude was throwing a Royal Mail speedbulk order at me across a post office counter as my bowels spasmed with coronation chicken Tesco shit and I just wanted to call my son back and to let him know I am doing this for him, don't worry, one day it will all be worth it. Daddy's only looking for his brains in the ashtray.

Sin Agog

Man, that really got me.  Half of my family have smegged off to Lithuania, leaving me with that classic moving away doggerel: "We'll see each other more than ever now we live in some obscure nook of the world most of the population doesn't know even exists." And when some of them are chillens, just picturing their rheumy oversized child eyes makes you feel even more futile.  I'm glad you've got Kyoko to channel your feelings through.  It's when you have nothing that things get especially hairy.  That's another thing that probably fucked off some of the more retrograde Beatles fans: the temerity of that witch for expressing such raw emotion in public.  It's just not done.

SpiderChrist

Graet blog post, I think I might be the only person in my circle of friends who listens to Yoko, and I really don't understand the vitriol she attracts (usually from penis-owners). The Plastic Ono Band album is a fucking masterpiece. And I shall be dropping Walking On Thin Ice into at least one DJ set this weekend.