Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:54:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I quite like Green Day as well to be honest.

Started by madhair60, April 24, 2019, 09:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phes

Green Day Dookie tour was second ever concert I went to but always claim first because Spin Doctors 

alan nagsworth

Dookie is a bona fide pop punk work of art. Catchy, well-written belters from start to finish. I struggle to find absolutely anything wrong with it, it's just wonderful. "When I Come Around" is probably one of the greatest Gen X "alternative" pop hits.

madhair60

Quote from: Twed on April 24, 2019, 04:04:23 PM
Green Day wrote some of the finest pop songs ever. American Idiot is absolute pap smears though.

I quite like it sorry

grassbath

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 24, 2019, 04:19:02 PM
Dookie is a bona fide pop punk work of art. Catchy, well-written belters from start to finish. I struggle to find absolutely anything wrong with it, it's just wonderful. "When I Come Around" is probably one of the greatest Gen X "alternative" pop hits.

This. An important album in my getting into music as a kid. 'Longview' is definitely partly responsible for me first picking up a bass guitar.

American Idiot is honestly brilliant too - a total nostalgia bomb. One of those rare 21st century albums which is hugely successful both critically and commercially. (Off the top of my head the only other ones I can think of are the Arctic Monkeys' debut and Daft Punk's Random Access Memories - there may be more.) Plus it was an unambiguous expression of anger and disillusionment with Bush's foreign policy - when since has political music been so thoroughly represented on the airwaves?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Twed on April 24, 2019, 04:04:23 PM
Green Day wrote some of the finest pop songs ever.

Mate. First you opine that Elvis Presley was shit, and now this.

Twed

grassbath

Quote from: madhair60 on April 24, 2019, 03:02:56 PM
No, not at all. They usually haven't heard of them.

I don't think anyone has ever got a sex done to them by liking Nurse With Wound or whatever.

Lies. My first long-term girlfriend and I bonded over a discussion about Trout Mask Replica.

It was great, we used to recite the songs. Different song, different position. 'Big Joan Sets Up' for the rough stuff, with vigorous cries of 'hoy, hoy!' Then we'd flip over and I'd recite 'Well' into her parted asscrack.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 24, 2019, 07:09:18 PM
Mate. First you opine that Elvis Presley was shit, and now this.

Even if Elvis was alive, which he isn't, I bet if he tried his hardest he still wouldn't be able to write a song even half as good as Green Day's "Dominated Love Slave".

Gregory Torso

That Presley was the dumbest shit I ever met, he couldn't write a fucking note. It should've been me, with the songs that I wrote.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 24, 2019, 07:53:50 PM
Even if Elvis was alive, which he isn't, I bet if he tried his hardest he still wouldn't be able to write a song even half as good as Green Day's "Dominated Love Slave".

Probably not, but I bet he could record an absolutely cracking cover version. It's right up his rockabilly alley.

Bass player is outstanding, Welcome to Paradise and When I Come Around are classic lines

alan nagsworth

If I'd known before I listened to Green Day that their bassist was called Mike Dirnt because of the "dirnt dirnt" noise he made on his bass guitar I probably would have never fucking bothered with them.

Actually who am I kidding I was 13 when I heard them I'd probably have loved that

Gerald Fjord

Dookie can't really mean anything but nostalgia for me now - it's not like it has any sort of timelessness about it. But giving it a little spin now it's got plenty to recommend it. Unlike a lot of that cali pop-punk that came after it it maintains enough of the punkness: quick, brash, to the point, just three instruments being battered on, crystal clear on the record. If this is what the Buzzcocks sound like on the pacific coast then fuck it, it's pretty good, no? Melodies that threaten to infect your brain but the second they're in there the next one's muscling in taking its place.

That transition from Chump into the walking bass of Longview! It's probably just nostalgia though...

Nah, bollocks to caution. Dookie is a timeless classic. Maybe.

Captain Z

Quote from: grassbath on April 24, 2019, 06:30:27 PM
One of those rare 21st century albums which is hugely successful both critically and commercially. (Off the top of my head the only other ones I can think of are the Arctic Monkeys' debut and Daft Punk's Random Access Memories

lolwhat

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Gerald Fjord on April 24, 2019, 10:23:18 PM
Dookie can't really mean anything but nostalgia for me now - it's not like it has any sort of timelessness about it. But giving it a little spin now it's got plenty to recommend it. Unlike a lot of that cali pop-punk that came after it it maintains enough of the punkness: quick, brash, to the point, just three instruments being battered on, crystal clear on the record. If this is what the Buzzcocks sound like on the pacific coast then fuck it, it's pretty good, no? Melodies that threaten to infect your brain but the second they're in there the next one's muscling in taking its place.

That transition from Chump into the walking bass of Longview! It's probably just nostalgia though...

Nah, bollocks to caution. Dookie is a timeless classic. Maybe.

It's got enough great hooks to be considered timeless in the sense that it hasn't really aged badly at all. Honestly mate, "Coming Clean", what an incredible song.

Nimrod is the one that hasn't aged well. It's pretty much 40% fluff and a lot of the better stuff ain't much to write home about.

Custard

You're out of control, madhair60

We've decided to issue you with your first CaB Verbal Warning

madhair60

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 25, 2019, 06:00:20 AM

my next oscillations thread is gonna blow you squares out of your promotional Belle and Sebastian incontinence pads

gilbertharding

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on April 24, 2019, 01:25:48 PM
James is/are possibly the most execrable band in the entire history of Christendom.

This is an odd tangent - but when I was in the lower 6th form (in about 1985) someone at my school somehow organised a big outdoors concert for one summer Sunday where the main band were James.

Here's a picture of a poster:

Anyway, I wasn't interested (at the time I more or less thought decent music had stopped in 1979) so when the boy who seemed to be the main promoter leaned out of a first floor window to try to sell me a ticket, I told him I wasn't interested, he called me a rude word. The rude word was overheard by a passing teacher and he (Luke Kelly, I remember) got into trouble.

Clearly, my decision in 1985 to boycott the gig was vindicated by the future career of the Sit Down hitmakers.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 25, 2019, 06:00:20 AM

He's entitled to be questioned by a poster at least one rank superior. Where is Mook?

Twed

Twed

Quote from: madhair60 on April 25, 2019, 09:39:09 AM
my next oscillations thread is gonna blow you squares out of your promotional Belle and Sebastian incontinence pads
If you can find time between your posts on /r/len/

DukeDeMondo

Green Day were the first band I truly and utterly and absolutely fell in love with. I'll never forget what it felt like, hearing them for the first time. 13, maybe, I'd have been. Fucking eyeballs were sizzling and crackling in their sockets. I'd never heard anything like it. Prior to that, my favourite artists were Iron Maiden and The Shamen and Prince, and I loved all of them, but none of them shook me like Green Day shook me. Lived for them all through High School. First gig was Green Day at the Ulster Hall in Belfast and that gig changed my fucking life. My GCSE results suffered sore bad over the head of it, but I got by nonetheless. Kerplunk!, Dookie and Insomniac moulded me and they're still wound about my bones and bubbling in my blood. A couple years ago, wrecked in the head and broke and besieged by foulnesses beyond measure, I decided to record a whole bunch of songs from those three albums, reconnect with the wee fucked up me that I was when I first fell to my knees in awe of them, but I only ever got as far as Christie Road. Maybe for the best.

Hearing something like Coming Clean when you're a wee lad wandering about North Antrim trying to figure yourself out, wondering why Billie Joe Armstrong gives you funny feelings in your trousers... It meant everything to me. 

I remember getting in a bit of bother over the head of that t-shirt with the fella pissing on the floor pot on. T-shirt all green white and gold didn't go down well round our way. There were a few growls and hisses. "Nice fucking colours on your t-shirt, there." I had to stop wearing it in the end after two fellas threatened to stamp me into puddles of nothing if I wore it again. Didn't help that absolutely nobody in my town seemed to know who Green Day were, even when "Basket Case" was absolutely everywhere. Hadn't a clue.

How cool is that? So I went in their room and read their diarieeeee.

I still think those three albums are absolutely fucking brilliant, and I listen to Insomniac all the time. Was listening to it on my way to an appointment with my therapist earlier on. Still brings me out in geese. "Before it might have made some sense, but now it's all fucked up."

The first album is wonderful too. "Going To Pasalaqua" is a fucking brilliant song. I love everything up to and including American Idiot, which was a proper "Fuck Me, But" for me when it came out. I was not expecting anything as strong as that from them by that point. I was pretty convinced that they were done. Jesus Of Suburbia just fucking floored me. Couldn't believe they still had something like that in them.

The B-Sides were frequently fantastic also. Suffocate is as good as anything on Nimrod or Warning.

Unfortunately, the follow up to American Idiot was an empty rehash with all the soul of a skirting board, and everything since has been a bunch of old donkey, really. Demolicious, which was comprised primarily of demo versions of songs from the prodigiously mediocre ¡Uno! ¡Dos! ¡Tré! albums, proposed to sound "how ¡Uno!, ¡Dos! and ¡Tré! would have sounded if we were still on Lookout Records," according to Mike Dirnt, but it didn't sound like that at all. Here and there, maybe, fits and starts. It's definitely preferable to the three albums proper, but it's still not a whole lot of very much.

Anyway, regardless, I still love the band that they were when I loved them dearly, and through them I discovered a bunch of other bands and artists that I adored and continue to adore. Rancid, Dead Kennedys, Pansy Division, Bad Brains, Fugazi, Joy Division, Misfits, Billy Bragg, on and on and on. Green Day opened the door to all of them for me, in one way or another.

So that's that. I loved them and continue to love them. They were the only thing in the world that made sense to me for a while.

grassbath