Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:00:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lav Diaz

Started by chveik, April 24, 2019, 01:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

I'm really tempted to watch one or two of his films over the week end (yes, I do have a lot of time on my hands right now). are there any fans of his work here? I'd be interested to know what you think is the best starting point.

(feel free to use this thread for discussing his films if you like)

sevendaughters

Norte is brilliant, brilliant stuff. It's the only one I've seen but I'd watch more based on that. All the best slow stuff is coming out of Asia. He's definitely seen stuff like Bela Tarr and Bresson but it just feels original and fresh, related but separate.

chveik

thanks sevendaughters, I will start with this one.

here's a good interview about his work I've just found. very impressive fella.
http://www.debordements.fr/Lav-Diaz-2017

and the synopsis for his next film (shown in Cannes, but not competing):

QuoteIt is the year 2034 AD and Southeast Asia has been in the dark for the last three years, literally, because the sun hasn't shone as a result of massive volcanic eruptions at the Celebes Sea in 2031. Madmen control countries, communities, enclaves and bubble cities. Cataclysmic epidemics razed over the continent. Millions have died and millions have left.

Shit Good Nose

Evolution of a Filipino Family, A Lullaby to the Sorrowful Mystery, From What Is Before, Heremias, West Side Avenue and Norte are all great and, despite daunting running times, don't outstay their welcome.  I'm also a huge fan of his first film, The Criminal of Barrio Concepcion, which I saw at the cinema without knowing anything about it, as part of a retrospective of East Asian crime films (from memory the program also included Battles Without Honour and Humanity, Bangkok Dangerous [the original], and Alfred Chung's masterpiece On the Run).

Melancholia (not to be confused with Von Trier's film of the same name) is probably his best known film, but I found it to be a real chore and hugely overrated.

chveik

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on April 25, 2019, 10:46:48 AM
West Side Avenue

this one looks fab, sadly I can't find a decent copy anywhere. did you watch it at a festival or something?

Shit Good Nose

An entirely legal download, but some years ago now.