Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:59:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson

Started by up_the_hampipe, April 24, 2019, 06:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

An absolutely stupid ridiculous new sketch show has just arrived on Netflix. Exec produced by The Lonely Island fellas with plenty of familiar faces popping up. It has been making me laugh a lot, although I can't help feeling it shouldn't be.

Here's the trailer of condensed madness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrZkGgoVSFk

Small Man Big Horse

I've only seen the first episode but I really enjoyed it, the Baby of the Year sketch is especially funny, and I laughed a great deal at "I hope you fucking die Harley Jarvis".

Ornlu

I enjoyed his brief SNL tenure, as well as his episode of The Characters, so I'll definitely be checking this out.

C_Larence

Saw a review on IMDB that compared the style of humour to Will Ferrell's "just shout instead of writing something funny" and basically agree. As someone who believes Ferrell (& SNL) is a blight on comedy I was probably never going to like this.

Gregory Torso

I watched the first three episodes and thought it was really hit or miss. First episode I really laughed at (baby reality show and termite exterminators); second episode didn't laugh at all; third episode really liked the charades sketch and that was it. Am I a miserable cunt?

Benjaminos

I binged the whole series over a night or two (think it only works out at about 90 minutes, all in) - more hit than miss for me, I think. It does rely a bit too much on 'man takes unnecessary umbrage at humdrum social interaction' sketches, but it got a couple of laughs per episode, which is more than most Netflix comedies manage.

Enjoyed the replacement of the toilet with a 'joke hole that's just for farts', and the magician sketch was a great concept (ended weakly though). Oh, also 'honk if you're horny' tickled me.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 24, 2019, 07:27:26 PM
I've only seen the first episode but I really enjoyed it, the Baby of the Year sketch is especially funny, and I laughed a great deal at "I hope you fucking die Harley Jarvis".

When the woman stormed the stage to try and attack Harley, that got me good.

I feel bad for sleeping on Robinson for so long. His shocked "whaaaat" in the fully-loaded nachos sketch, and trying to pretend he's not choking in front of his hero (you can see the other actor trying not to corpse a few times during that). Top notch comic performance.

Enrico Palazzo

Thought he was even funnier than than the always funny Sam Richardson on Detroiters. Looking forward to this.

phantom_power

Yeah, Detroiters was brilliant and he was great in it (though I disagree he was better than Richardson) so I look forward to watching this

perdothegit

It's a very funny show and I'll take what I can get after the premature demise of Detroiters.

cliggg

I've watched the first 2 episodes and it's grand. The airplane with Will Forte in episode 2 was good especially the ending to it which really made me laugh. More miss than hit and a bit too shouty so far but it's good that Netflix do things like this. Also Vanessa Bayer was in 1 sketch which justifies the existence of the whole show for me.

Pseudopath

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 25, 2019, 09:07:46 AM
His shocked "whaaaat" in the fully-loaded nachos sketch

Just saw this. An absolute masterclass.

rasta-spouse

I really liked the Tuggable T-shirt thing from episode 2. And just the way he was loudly going on about it in the school corridor was great.

kngen

The 'Turbo Time' bit in the termite exterminators sketch has been lingering in my thoughts for days now. Also 'a slice of paper'. I can't quite put my finger on what that peculiarity of language reminds me of - Tim & Eric maybe? - but yes, very enjoyable.

The Lion King

Yea it's very Tim and Eric/Adult Swim (repetition of odd words like 'mud pies' and 'tuna can') but great nonetheless. Tim Robinson just has a great face.

amoral

One of the marks of great comedy is that bits of it infiltrate your daily life, making you laugh out loud and appear deranged to people around you. Today at work it was the Scrooge/Ghost of Way Future sketch. Also I generally don't like lots of shouting in comedy, but in this it works for me. Just part of the spirit of aggressive silliness.

Pseudopath

Quote from: amoral on April 28, 2019, 09:02:53 PM
One of the marks of great comedy is that bits of it infiltrate your daily life, making you laugh out loud and appear deranged to people around you. Today at work it was the Scrooge/Ghost of Way Future sketch.

This. Just had the Fenton's Horse Ranch jingle pop into my head during a client meeting and I think they're beginning to doubt my commitment to the project.

fucking ponderous

I've just watched the first two episodes and it's hilarious. V refreshing in that it doesn't try to be anything more than stupid and funny. It's addictive, the short episode lengths always make me want more.
Favorite bit: don't know why but I keep thinking of the man punching the pillow off the couch in the gift exchange sketch, as well as the dramatic Coldplay-esque music that accompanied the sketch's ending.

Icehaven

Only watched the first 2 but enjoying it by and large, agree about the shouty bloke overreacting getting annoying though, and I find his delivery ruins some potentially good ideas. The whoopee cushion one was a good example, someone pissed off at being pranked trying to make everyone feel guilty by exaggerating the potential consequences would work a lot better if you can't see it coming a mile off and just wish he'd shut up already. Really liked the bald wig service one, and the motorcycle loving aliens.

Icehaven

Quote from: fucking ponderous on May 01, 2019, 07:37:54 AM
Favorite bit: don't know why but I keep thinking of the man punching the pillow off the couch in the gift exchange sketch, as well as the dramatic Coldplay-esque music that accompanied the sketch's ending.

I really liked that one too, despite the over reliance on ''mud pie' being funny there was enough else going on, particularly towards the end.

non capisco

Misread the thread title as 'I Think You Should Leave with Tommy Robinson' and then got depressed thinking that could genuinely be a mainstream TV programme in 2019.

Icehaven

Last 3 episodes were way better, particularly ep 4. The "honk if you're horny" one was great, reminded me of Kids In The Hall.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: icehaven on May 02, 2019, 12:10:02 AM
Last 3 episodes were way better, particularly ep 4. The "honk if you're horny" one was great, reminded me of Kids In The Hall.

Conner O'Malley, who plays the horny man in that sketch, has one of the craziest twitter accounts out there. He's recently been doing a series of confusing, terrifying videos playing a man who is desperate for Howard Schulz to become president, before being abducted and waterboarded by Starbucks employees.

poodlefaker

Reminds  me of an American Limmy. The episodes are nice and short; we need more short TV.

pancreas

Just watched e01. Crying my eyes out. It's brilliant.

pancreas

This has dropped in quality quite dramatically.

Pseudopath

Quote from: pancreas on May 08, 2019, 12:01:20 AM
This has dropped in quality quite dramatically.

Really? Most of my favourite sketches (Loaded Nachos, Honk If You're Horny, Chunky the Mascot, Garfield) are in the second half of the season.

Horses fuck horses, I guess.

up_the_hampipe

pancreas

I'll persist. I'm not hating it. Although he evidently thinks he's a lot more endearing than he actually is.

her?

Quote from: Pseudopath on May 08, 2019, 12:07:44 AM
Really? Most of my favourite sketches (Loaded Nachos, Honk If You're Horny, Chunky the Mascot, Garfield) are in the second half of the season.

Horses fuck horses, I guess.

I really enjoyed the first few episodes but I started laughing less as the series went on. Not sure if the quality decreased or if I just became weary with the "person becomes shouty" end to every sketch. The nachos sketch was brilliant though and proof that Robinson can turn a fairly simple idea into something hilarious by his performance alone. Chunky made me laugh a lot too.