Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:38:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The 'Fuck You, Disney' Thread

Started by St_Eddie, April 24, 2019, 08:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

A thread for all things fuck you, Disney.

Quote from: The Hollywood ReporterDisney film chief Alan Horn is questioning the apparent plan to have young characters smoking onscreen in Steven Spielberg's West Side Story adaptation. "With Fox, we can make movies that right now I say no to ... We always have to think about the smoking policy. The audience for a Disney movie may not know what they are going to see, but they know what they aren't going to see," Horn said in a recent interview with THR. "There are certain things we just can't include because we'll get letters."

Oh no!  Not LETTERS!

Fuck you, Disney.

Quote from: Reddit's Weekly Box Office RoundupSome folks I know in the theatrical distribution game all told me this weekend that they were allegedly forced to play Penguins in their biggest theater or else they wouldn't be allowed to show Endgame. This kind of dirty tactic is sadly pretty common for Disney. It was however a particular dumb movie this weekend when not only did some report less than 20 tickets sold for the evening shows of Penguins but they also noted a very packed group for Captain Marvel as the film gained this weekend (see below). Disney if you're going to be draconian and shitty at least be smart about it. Really, using Endgame to push an Ed Helms voiced doc? That's just...lame.

Disney are notorious for using their clout to dominate the box office, by way of forcing cinemas to show their movies over other studios output.  The multiplex chains don't suffer too badly from it but the smaller independent cinemas regularly get fucked by these dirty tactics, to the point where some have to close up shop.

Fuck you, Disney.

Oh, and on the topic of Disney's Penguins documentary; check out the trailer.

Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetily Durp Dee Durp.

Fuck you, Disney.

Timothy

Disney is great. Banning smoking in West Side Story is not a big deal and logical imo. Not necessary in the movie and quite outdated.
The distrubition story sounds fake. ''Some folks I know in the theatrical distribution'' isn't a reliable source. The penguins documentary looks nice.

Also really looking forward to their streaming service, The Lion King movie and the new Toy Story.

I hope the new The Lion King is good.

chveik

Quote from: Timothy on April 24, 2019, 08:16:52 PM
Disney is great. Banning smoking in West Side Story is not a big deal and logical imo. Not necessary in the movie and quite outdated.

Also really looking forward to their streaming service.

I bet you're on their payroll.

what's the point of a West Side Story remake?

Timothy

There's no point in a West Side Story remake. Quite unnecessary. Original film is good as it is.

But there's also no point in smoking in a West Side Story remake. Doesn't add anything to the film. Also quite unnecessary.

mothman

I'd make some sarcastic comment about the smoking in it being integral, or that it made me start smoking, but truth is I've never seen West Side Story.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Timothy on April 24, 2019, 08:16:52 PM
Disney is great.

No, they are shit.  They're bordering on being a monopoly but hey, what does it matter when their recent acquisition of 20th Century Fox means that X-Men and Deadpool are now free to be absorbed into the Marvel Cinematic Universe?  "Muh precious superheros can now join forces to beat up all da bad guys.  I'm gonna buy all the action figur.... I mean, collectibles."

Fuck you, Disney.

Quote from: thecuriousorange on April 24, 2019, 08:20:00 PM
I hope the new The Lion King is good.

Have you seen the original?  Then you've already seen the new one.  They even kept James Earl Jones as the voice of Mufasa.  Then again, they did add Seth Rogen.  So that's new.

Fuck you, Disney.

Quote from: mothman on April 24, 2019, 08:24:37 PM
I'd make some sarcastic comment about the smoking in it being integral, or that it made me start smoking, but truth is I've never seen West Side Story.

It's the hypocrisy that I can't stand.  West Side Story features people getting shot and stabbed... oh, and there's a sexual assault but SMOKING IS A STEP TOO FAR for The Mouse.

Fuck you, Disney.

Furthermore, Spielberg's adaptation was being developed at Fox, so it would have featured smoking but now that Disney has tightened its stranglehold on the industry via its acquisition of the studio, they're interfering with the artist's vision.  If they are willing to tell Steven mother fucking Spielberg how to make his film, then what do you think they'll do for smaller and lesser known directors?  Not exactly a filmmakers studio, is it?

Fuck you, Disney.

studpuppet

Disney own the TVS archive because they wanted to get their hands on Fraggle Rock. They don't know what they've got though (and will probably never do anything with it), because most of the paperwork for the tapes has been lost. Fuck you, Disney.

Timothy

The complete series of Fraggle Rock has been released on bluray last year. There are talks of making a new series for their streaming network.

Quotebut SMOKING IS A STEP TOO FAR for The Mouse.

Really grasping at straws there. Ofcourse they don't want people smoking in the film. Why would anyone want to give free advertisement for cigarettes or make it seem cool?
There's no need for smoking in movies anno 2019.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Timothy on April 24, 2019, 08:36:54 PM
The complete series of Fraggle Rock has been released on bluray last year. There are talks of making a new series for their streaming network.

I hope that their shitty streaming service falls flat on its stupid face.

Fuck you, Disney.

Timothy

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 24, 2019, 08:38:13 PM
I hope that their shitty streaming service falls flat on its stupid face.

Why?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Timothy on April 24, 2019, 08:41:05 PM
Why?

As if it's not enough for Disney to dominate the film industry, they now also want to muscle in on the streaming service business.  They'll probably end up acquiring Netflix and Amazon and rule the roost in that market too.  Soon The Mouse will own your very soul and yet people will applaud them for it.

Fuck you, Disney.

Avril Lavigne

I will say Fuck You, Disney for their apparent complete lack of response to this tweet from Ron Gilbert back in 2016:

Quote from: Ron Gilbert
Dear @Disney, now that you're not making games, please sell me my Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion IP. I'll pay real actual money for them.

Timothy

Damn. They didn't respond to Ron Gilbert about adventure games? Yeah, that sucks. Bad move Disney. Bad move.

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 24, 2019, 08:46:25 PM
As if it's not enough for Disney to dominate the film industry, they now also want to muscle in on the streaming service business.  They'll probably end up acquiring Netflix and Amazon and rule the roost in that market too.

They aren't going to acquire Netflix or Amazon. Won't happen.

But you still haven't answered my question. What's wrong with Disney wanting to have a streaming service?

What's more, Mickey Mouse is a shit character and a bizarre choice of figurehead for the brand. I mean, who the fuck actually likes Mickey Mouse? He's a boring cunt with a fucking cardboard personality that consists mainly of chortling. Donald Duck is much better, not least because every time he's onscreen with Mickey it's clear that he fucking HATES him

Find me one person who is actually like "I really enjoy Mickey Mouse as a character, and look forward to seeing him on screen" FUCKING NOBODY thinks this

St_Eddie

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on April 24, 2019, 08:46:44 PM
I will say Fuck You, Disney for their apparent complete lack of response to this tweet from Ron Gilbert back in 2016:

Quote from: Ron GilbertDear @Disney, now that you're not making games, please sell me my Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion IP. I'll pay real actual money for them.

Indeed.  Disney will never relinquish the rights to Monkey Island.  Disney owns that shit and they'll be damned if they're going to give it up... or do anything with it, for that matter.  They're like that one rich brat in school who never wanted to share their toys with the other kids, even though they never used them.

Fuck you, Disney.

Quote from: Timothy on April 24, 2019, 08:48:19 PMThey aren't going to acquire Netflix or Amazon. Won't happen.

Yeah, just like them acquiring 20th Century Fox would never happen.  Oh, wait.

Quote from: Timothy on April 24, 2019, 08:48:19 PMBut you still haven't answered my question. What's wrong with Disney wanting to have a streaming service?

Because it's the expansion of their empire.  It's yet another step in the direction of complete and total dominance over all of film and TV.  Monopolies are not a good thing and Disney is dangerously close to becoming one.  Is that not reason enough?  The ill effects of their power within the industry are already being felt and it's only going to get worse from here on in.

Fuck you, Disney.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on April 24, 2019, 08:53:32 PM
Find me one person who is actually like "I really enjoy Mickey Mouse as a character, and look forward to seeing him on screen" FUCKING NOBODY thinks this

That's as well as maybe but Castle of Illusion on the Megadrive is boss, but that's a game from the Disney of old.  You know, the good Disney.

Fuck you, Nu-Disney.

chveik

the only Disney thing I truly love is The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, by Don Rosa. and these cunts exploited him (like pretty much every person that has ever worked for them)

QuoteDuring early summer 2002, Rosa suddenly laid down work. As an artist he could not live under the conditions Egmont was offering him, but he did not want to give up making Scrooge McDuck comics either. So, his only choice was to go on hiatus and try to come to an agreement with Egmont. His main issues were that he had no control over his works. Rosa had discovered too often that his stories were printed with incorrect pages of art, improper colors, poor lettering, or pixelated computer conversions of the illustrations. Another matter was that his name was used in promotion of books and collections of stories without his agreement and without sending royalties to him. Rosa has never, as with any other Disney artist, received royalties for a single use of any of his stories worldwide

so yeah, fuck you Disney

mothman

These days it feels like Spielberg is so preoccupied with making the films that he wants, he never stops to think whether he should, he said ironically.

His badmouthing Netflix, only to then pop up shilling for Apple TV, was definitely a "mate..." moment.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Timothy on April 24, 2019, 08:48:19 PM
Damn. They didn't respond to Ron Gilbert about adventure games? Yeah, that sucks. Bad move Disney. Bad move.

It doesn't make me actively want to stand outside their head offices with a protest sign or anything, I just find it very sad that the guy can't get back the rights to his most successful creation while they clearly aren't going to bother doing anything with it themselves in either the near or distant future.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on April 24, 2019, 09:16:41 PM
It doesn't make me actively want to stand outside their head offices with a protest sign or anything, I just find it very sad that the guy can't get back the rights to his most successful creation while they clearly aren't going to bother doing anything with it themselves in either the near or distant future.

To be fair, I feel as though Ron Gilbert is being a bit silly by not entertaining the idea of simply licensing the IP from Disney to make his game.  He's stated his reason as being because he believes that Disney will dictate to him on how to make the game but personally, I don't think that they would bother.  Monkey Island is possibly the most famous adventure game of all time but it's still a niche title because the genre itself is niche.  I think that Disney has bigger fish to fry than telling a small time developer how to make a game destined for a select audience.  It's also worth noting that Ron Gilbert never owned Monkey Island to begin with; Lucasarts did, so it's not like he's ever made a Monkey Island game free of studio ownership.  None the less...

Fuck you, Disney.

madhair60

madhair60

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on April 24, 2019, 08:53:32 PM

I like Mickey when he's good

https://youtu.be/1X8tP4W4ZfM?t=398

Sin Agog

At least they kept in the scene of Officer Krupke shooting the unarmed black toddler multiple times in the back.

madhair60

Also the recent Mickey cartoons are absolutely unequivocally ace: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNdhDq-DF8k

Mister Six

Arsed, cigs. But relieved this isn't about Song of the South not being on the streaming service.

jobotic

Moana's good. And I nearly cried when the toys in Toy Story 3 were about to die and held hands.

But yeah, generally I agree although I know nothing about rights to adventure games and never will. If they have the rights to TVS can we expect Disneyfied versions of No 73. Mr Majeika and C.A.T.S. Eyes?

Sin Agog

It's that time again when I post a fucked up Belgian weird wave track from the '80s called The Bloody Violation of Mickey Mouse's Virginity on 59th Street (although Come On's Disneyland is the catchiest anthem for the refined Disney disliker out there).