Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:47:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The 'Fuck You, Disney' Thread

Started by St_Eddie, April 24, 2019, 08:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

Quote from: Blumf on July 25, 2019, 12:10:45 AM
Now, I like cars, and I'm okay with the MCU, but... well, really? Who is this for?

17 year olds who have made a fortune in cryptocurrency?

How long until Disney owns James Bond? The series is already getting a bit Marvelly.

Blumf

Quote from: imitationleather on July 25, 2019, 10:38:34 AM
17 year olds who have made a fortune in cryptocurrency?

Fuck! I think you've nailed it.

bgmnts

I heard comic con attendance was down this year.

Bubble bursting? Well in Disney.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Blumf on July 25, 2019, 12:10:45 AM

Now, I like cars, and I'm okay with the MCU, but... well, really? Who is this for?
Iron Man. just for him to pop down the shops in really

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: greenman on May 15, 2019, 07:50:11 PM
Not sure about AVatar saving much money via filming back to back. The nature of the films being heavily CGI focused seems like it would limit the amount of large scale set work which is generally were back to back films save a lot of money. I mean the last two Avengers films were done back to back but they still have individual budgets listed at over $300 million.

Thanks to Hollywood Accounting these figures have very little bearing on the amount of money required to make the fulm.

SavageHedgehog

Sounds like Disney aren't going to be too keen on revival screenings of Fox movies, nor in smaller theatres showing Fox movies.

Deanjam

The latest Nerd Crew video takes aim at Disney's omnipresence and those who worship it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qejGHLAbo_c

bgmnts

Caught it this morning, made me chuckle, mostly in fear.

Disney food shopping will be the next big thing.

mothman

Probably entirely the wrong thread to ask in, but is anybody here genuinely considering subscribing to Disney+ when it launches here?

samadriel

Quote from: mothman on September 01, 2019, 06:07:48 PM
Probably entirely the wrong thread to ask in, but is anybody here genuinely considering subscribing to Disney+ when it launches here?

I'm no fan of Disney, but I probably will when it arrives in Australia, as I want to see a fair few of the Marvel shows and I find it very difficult to torrent stuff these days.  Maybe it'd be easier if I mastered the art of VPN, but I don't have a clue how that works.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: mothman on September 01, 2019, 06:07:48 PM

Depends how much it is.  If it's going to be as reasonable as the US sub ($6.99 a month for basic or $13 including Hulu - which I know is almost certainly introductory [$10/$20 easy by christmas]), then I'll consider it, as long as they make the Fox (and its subsidiaries) back catalogue available.  But I'm going to wait until it's well in and settled before deciding.  If it does end up just being Disney, Star Wars, Marvel and not much more (they've been a bit sketchy about Fox stuff, only mentioning a few tentpole titles and new "reimagined" content, which sounds gash), then it can get to fuck.

I do wonder if they've got long-term designs on snapping up Netflix as well...

phantom_power

One of the interesting things I have heard about Disney+ recently is the possibility that they will include director's commentaries for some films. I am surprised more streaming services don't have this as I can't imagine it is much of an extra cost, in terms of either bandwidth or price

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: phantom_power on September 02, 2019, 12:34:44 PM
One of the interesting things I have heard about Disney+ recently is the possibility that they will include director's commentaries for some films. I am surprised more streaming services don't have this as I can't imagine it is much of an extra cost, in terms of either bandwidth or price

Amazon Prime does it.  For some titles (mostly the Disney ones, ironically) they've basically ripped the entire blu ray, so deleted scenes, docs, soundtrack etc as well as the film.

phantom_power

Have they? I haven't noticed that. Do you have any examples?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: phantom_power on September 02, 2019, 03:41:11 PM
Have they? I haven't noticed that. Do you have any examples?

Ignore me, I'm mistaken - it's only the digital versions available on Prime to rent or buy as additional/stand alone  purchases, I.e not included in the subscription version of Prime.

That's the main thing that does my nut in about Prime - you get all excited when you spot something amazing, but then you go into it and find that you have to pay extra for it.  And it's only fairly recently you get warned about it - in its early days you'd watch something quite happily and then find out it wasn't included in the sub price when you got biled the following month.

MojoJojo

Quote from: bgmnts on September 01, 2019, 04:22:58 PM
Caught it this morning, made me chuckle, mostly in fear.

Disney food shopping will be the next big thing.

There is already an entire Frozen section in my local supermarket.

greenman

Hopefully it starts a shift towards having more commentary's and other extras on DVD/BR releases, in recent years it seems like its only third party releases like Arrow, Masters of Cinema and Criterion that offer much.

phantom_power

Ironically Marvel have always been pretty good with having director's commentaries and other extras on their discs

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: greenman on September 03, 2019, 04:30:41 PM
Hopefully it starts a shift towards having more commentary's and other extras on DVD/BR releases, in recent years it seems like its only third party releases like Arrow, Masters of Cinema and Criterion that offer much.

The reason for general extras decline is because of when certain people (Arnie being one of them, if memory serves) started having written into their contracts that any extras they were involved with they woul be paid extra (can't remember who now, but someone demanded something like half a million dollars to do a commentary), whereas up until then it was all part of their salary for the film.

The boutique releases use either vintage laserdisc or DVD commentaries, and/or have them done by critics or "scholars", all of which are a lot cheaper of course.

Sebastian Cobb

Extras were mostly a marketing gimmick to push dvd's and bluray; streaming seems to be doing fine without it.

greenman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 03, 2019, 09:00:50 PM
The reason for general extras decline is because of when certain people (Arnie being one of them, if memory serves) started having written into their contracts that any extras they were involved with they woul be paid extra (can't remember who now, but someone demanded something like half a million dollars to do a commentary), whereas up until then it was all part of their salary for the film.

The boutique releases use either vintage laserdisc or DVD commentaries, and/or have them done by critics or "scholars", all of which are a lot cheaper of course.

They tend to be a bit of a mix, was watching Arrow's release of Thief a few days ago and that had a recent interview with James Caan as a bonus.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: greenman on September 03, 2019, 10:14:20 PM
They tend to be a bit of a mix, was watching Arrow's release of Thief a few days ago and that had a recent interview with James Caan as a bonus.

James Caan probably pays them these days...

greenman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 03, 2019, 10:42:55 PM
James Caan probably pays them these days...

Although really I'd say most extras probably fall into that domain, directors, writers or people on the technical side who want to be involved, current stars doing commentary's for big fee's doesn't need to be part of it.

Shit Good Nose

There is a rumour that Steven Soderbergh will do a commentary for anyone's film for a paid-for lunch.

I suspect the "anyone's film" bit is apocryphal, but I think he's done more commentaries for others now than he has for his own films.

Jim Bob

It's Time To Break Up Disney, Says Author Of New Book On Monopoly Power In America.

QuoteMatt Stoller, author of Goliath: The Hundred Year War Between Monopoly Power and Democracy and former senior policy advisor and budget analyst for the U.S. Senate Budget Committee, has written a persuasive essay about why the Walt Disney Company should be broken up. He won't be the last person to make this case.

Stoller lays out a detailed argument on how Disney, in its fifteen years under the leadership of CEO Bob Iger, has turned into a "vertically integrated global monopolist over entertainment" that engages in anti-competitive behavior and significantly reduces choices that consumers have in the marketplace, while hurting the careers of creators. Writes Stoller:

"As I'll show, the new Disney is more a private equity group than studio, collecting brands and using them to bargain aggressively with partners, suppliers and consumers. Imperial Disney is the result not of animation genius but mergers and acquisitions genius. It is not a corporation that pushes the bounds of artistic and technological possibility but a corporation that pushes the bounds of legal possibility under the radical pro-consolidation framework that has existed since the 1990s, as well as the Clinton-era 'engagement' framework that encouraged deep integration of American multi-nationals into China."

The article touches on a lot of different topics, each of which could be delved into more deeply, from the Disney Company's abuse of copyright powers to the way that the company limits consumer access by creating artificial scarcity, and from how Disney demands coercive terms from theater owners that show its films to how the corporation has become a willing mouthpiece for Chinese propaganda.

Despite Disney's seemingly unstoppable power, Stoller's final assessment of the situation is hopeful:

The nice thing is that we've dealt with similar problems in the past, and succeeded. And I'm pretty confident that we can do so again. After all, imperial Disney is less than 15 years old. The public policy underpinning Disney's consolidation of power isn't a permanent state of being, it's just a particularly noxious way of regulating our entertainment industry.

idunnosomename

After Frozen 2 has done its thing on children we wont be needing brands. Just stupid snowmen and two strong women who look the fucking same.

Jim Bob

Disney have killed off 20th Century Fox and rebranded it as 20th Century Studios.

Farewell to my favourite studio ident (unless they keep the iconic searchlight motif and music, which is a possibility).  I shall remember you fondly.

A pivotal moment in US film history, I have a lot of nostalgia for that Fox ident too, misplaced or not. '20th Century Studios' doesn't really make sense as a name in 2020

New folder

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 09, 2019, 10:58:23 AM
After Frozen 2 has done its thing on children we wont be needing brands. Just stupid snowmen and two strong women who look the fucking same.

I really do wish they'd stop using that stupid face Glen Keane drew once.