Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:54:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The 'Fuck You, Disney' Thread

Started by St_Eddie, April 24, 2019, 08:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich Uncle Skeleton

30 years from now they'll just do away with the animals and put out a single-camera 2 hour table read.

idunnosomename

Hahaha americans are scared of bums and boobs

imitationleather

This is a real shame for me personally as I love looking at arses.

Dex Sawash

Jim Bob

BlodwynPig

Cousin It's last role, apparently

idunnosomename

Bought a mirror haha fuck you disney *glares at arse*

Replies From View

I presume Jim Bob has a Disney+ subscription that is his most prized possession ever?

Replies From View

Just thought I'd park this here; I assume you've probably all talked about this to death already somewhere, but just in case:

https://twitter.com/TristanACooper/status/1194298167824650240

QuoteAll the classic Simpsons episodes on Disney+ are in cropped widescreen format -- this means you miss out on tons of great visual jokes, like how Duff, Duff Lite and Duff Dry all come from the same tube.

madhair60

I love the Simpsons cropping outrage and its focus on missing "tons of great jokes", but the only one EVER shown as an example is that Duff gag.

I agree, btw, they should be in the original aspect. I just think it's funny that it's just this one joke but people claim it isn't.

samadriel

It doesn't entirely erase jokes, but framing is unexpectedly important, having characters or sight gags crammed into the top or bottom of frame can affect funniness. The end of Marge vs the Monorail with the popsicle stick skyscraper and so on is more pleasant in 4:3.

madhair60

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree. 100%. I just think it's funny the way it's solely demonstrated with that one fairly weak joke.

Blumf

Why can't they just provide the 'classic' editions alongside the dumbed down cropped ones? It's a sodding streaming service, it's not like they have to make space on shelves or anything.

Replies From View

Quote from: madhair60 on April 16, 2020, 03:03:34 PM
Don't get me wrong, I totally agree. 100%. I just think it's funny the way it's solely demonstrated with that one fairly weak joke.

If I'd known it was already an established detail I wouldn't have passed it on, as it's the first I've heard about it and this is the thread of bitching about Disney.  To me it's not the specific example that matters, more that it shows an issue that must plainly exist outside this one example.

I suspect that there are plenty of other examples but nobody can be arsed to sit down with the two versions side by side to generate more of them, as that one is sufficient to prove the point.

Replies From View

Quote from: samadriel on April 16, 2020, 02:50:57 PM
It doesn't entirely erase jokes, but framing is unexpectedly important, having characters or sight gags crammed into the top or bottom of frame can affect funniness. The end of Marge vs the Monorail with the popsicle stick skyscraper and so on is more pleasant in 4:3.

I'd say the removal of the Duff pipes is an example of an entirely erased joke.  They might be peripheral jokes or fleeting gags but they're all part of the rich fabric of the show.

beanheadmcginty

I've definitely seen a few examples involving comedy shop names in the background cropped out. Can't remember exactly what though.

samadriel

Quote from: Replies From View on April 16, 2020, 09:40:48 PM
I'd say the removal of the Duff pipes is an example of an entirely erased joke.

Oh yeah, I meant apart from that one.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Blumf on April 16, 2020, 04:45:22 PM
Why can't they just provide the 'classic' editions alongside the dumbed down cropped ones? It's a sodding streaming service, it's not like they have to make space on shelves or anything.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,72827.msg4162734.html#msg4162734

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on April 17, 2020, 09:52:43 AM
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,72827.msg4162734.html#msg4162734

I'm a bit confused at the outrage for this one too, as for once Disney have held their hands up and said yeah, we fucked up, and will rectify the matter. Al Jean spoke out on the matter this week too - https://tv.avclub.com/al-jean-knows-which-simpsons-episodes-you-think-are-the-1842850866 - it's quite an interesting interview as he does seem to really care what people think of the show.

idunnosomename

I think the point is that cropping off a third or so of the content so it fits the current trend of screen ratio ruins the often finely-considered aesthetic of the show. The duff beer one is just a great but extreme example of it entirely erasing a sight gag. There probably arent many other times if any a joke is completely cut out like that.

Also with pan and scan they used to manually bother reframing sections. This shows how they didnt wven bother

Anyway theyre fixing it but still chopping off footage still happens on tv. 16:9 is not an inherently superior ratio for a screen and we shouldnt be doing this kinda crap as if its the apotheosis of video

madhair60

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 17, 2020, 10:35:17 AM
he does seem to really care what people think of the show.

how does he explain the last 22 seasons then

phantom_power

Aspect ratios have been an issue ever since widescreen TVs came out, and before that for films. At least they are fixing the problem

Replies From View

Quote from: phantom_power on April 17, 2020, 01:16:33 PM
Aspect ratios have been an issue ever since widescreen TVs came out, and before that for films. At least they are fixing the problem

The conversations I used to have in the 1990s with people who preferred pan and scan videos to widescreen ones.  Some people insisted that the black bars in widescreen releases were created by obscuring the top and bottom of the pan and scan image.  They were absolutely resolute and endlessly, angrily rejected the explanation I gave them.  Amazing.  I wonder if that kind of basic ignorance of simple things is a feature of the past now that they can be easily googled.

i truly hope those people are dead now

SavageHedgehog

William Friedkin is still alive, so not all dead no.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 17, 2020, 10:35:17 AM
Al Jean spoke out on the matter this week too - https://tv.avclub.com/al-jean-knows-which-simpsons-episodes-you-think-are-the-1842850866 - it's quite an interesting interview as he does seem to really care what people think of the show.

I read and enjoyed this too, but I think it's crazy (and possibly somewhat revealing) that he calls out one specific fan by name who used to post negative reviews on Newsgroups twenty years ago.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on April 18, 2020, 09:36:05 AM
I read and enjoyed this too, but I think it's crazy (and possibly somewhat revealing) that he calls out one specific fan by name who used to post negative reviews on Newsgroups twenty years ago.

That did amuse/bemuse me too, and I'd be made up if I'd annoyed Jean that much!