Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:37:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How dare you!

Started by BlodwynPig, April 25, 2019, 03:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

For some reason searching cookdandbombd Nathan For You to see what people thought of the first series (which I have belatedly started watching) gave me this as the second hit

https://twitter.com/rhysthomasobe/status/433333561295253505?lang=en

Way to go guys, upsetting a legend.

Shaky

In the subsequent five years his stuff has been pretty well received in these parts, I think? Hopefully he has forgiven the forum.

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 25, 2019, 03:00:50 AM
For some reason searching cookdandbombd Nathan For You to see what people thought of the first series (which I have belatedly started watching) gave me this as the second hit

https://twitter.com/rhysthomasobe/status/433333561295253505?lang=en

Way to go guys, upsetting a legend.

No idea who that is, but Nathan for You is fucking great. Get stuck in!

zomgmouse

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 25, 2019, 04:16:13 AM
No idea who that is, but Nathan for You is fucking great. Get stuck in!

That's Rhys Thomas, creator of Down the Line and Brian Pern, both of which I'm pretty sure have been near-universally enjoyed and praised on here, I think?

the

For balance - at one point in the Thomas & Way podcasts, Rhys and Tony Way talk about CaB and how they like it, and they like that people are passionate about comedy, and that people are completely entitled to their opinions. (I'm summarising from memory because I've just tried to find the segment but failed.) And throughout those podcasts, Rhys and Tony spend a lot of time being fans themselves, talking about what they like and don't like and why, so there's little separation there.

And people on here were positive about Brian Pern. But mixed amongst all that, as in any discussion, there are usually people who misinterpret a load of stuff, people who are being very vocal and dramatic about what they think was poor, and just loads of noise that must be incredibly difficult to be exposed to after completing work on a project.

I can understand wanting to do a dip check on how your programme is being received upon transmission, but on places like CaB people will be a bit more specific and verbose about it (rather than just mini-comments like "I liked it!!"). The details in those comments are going to be hard to take as a creator, when you can't justify or clarify people's misapphrehensions, accusations and exaggerrations.

You'd probably be better off getting someone else to do a précis/analysis of the thread for you, keeping a general swingometer of the bad vs. good feelings, noting the perceptive points made and dampening the more knee-jerk bits.

And anyway, we've got nuance-free Twitter as an alternative now where people can shove their tongue directly up your arse.

bigfatheart

Yeah, Rhys has pretty much been a CaB untouchable since, I dunno, Down the Line, hasn't he? Maybe it was meant as a DM to Ricky Gervais or someone.

fatguyranting

I was a massive fan of 'Fun at the Funeral Parlour' if that helps Mr Thomas feel better about himself.

Norton Canes

Been listening right though the whole set of Down The Line over the past few weeks (now up to the final series) and have loved every minute. Thanks, Rhys!

SteveDave

He lives near me (used to live on my road) so I can pass on a message the next time he's walking passed my flat if anyone wants to say something? 

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bigfatheart on April 25, 2019, 10:32:30 AM
Yeah, Rhys has pretty much been a CaB untouchable since, I dunno, Down the Line, hasn't he? Maybe it was meant as a DM to Ricky Gervais or someone.

Quote from: fatguyranting on April 25, 2019, 10:35:51 AM
I was a massive fan of 'Fun at the Funeral Parlour' if that helps Mr Thomas feel better about himself.

I was going to say I've seen little other than positive stuff about Rhys on CaB since Fun at the Funeral Parlour, and pretty much everything ever since.  I don't think I've ever read a single negative thing on here about DTL, and very very few negative things about Pern.  It's likely, and unfortunately so, that Rhys saw the one or two negative comments and assumed there was a CaB hive mind about it.  Which, of course, there isn't.

Quote from: the on April 25, 2019, 09:59:00 AM
For balance - at one point in the Thomas & Way podcasts, Rhys and Tony Way talk about CaB and how they like it, and they like that people are passionate about comedy, and that people are completely entitled to their opinions. (I'm summarising from memory because I've just tried to find the segment but failed.)

You're correct - CaB gets positive mentions a few times throughout the run, and Neil gets namechecked (again, in a positive manner) several times as well.

If anyone is acquainted with Rhys or knows how to get a message directly through to him without the social media bullshit, it wouldn't hurt to let him know he's one of a VERY small handful of comedy people who is still highly regarded on CaB after a 20 year still-continuing career.

bigfatheart

Thinking about it, it could be because 30% of new threads on here are about the current whereabouts of Mark Lamarr.

rasta-spouse

I liked him as the dirty fox on Shooting Stars. And I don't like that Mark Lamaar kicked him.

Famous Mortimer

Those end of year things are fucking bollocks though (I like pretty much everything else he's ever done).

the

Rhys will probably end up visiting this thread anyway, under the misapprehension that it's about the 1980s kids show with John Gorman.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: SteveDave on April 25, 2019, 11:52:28 AM
He lives near me (used to live on my road) so I can pass on a message the next time he's walking passed my flat if anyone wants to say something?

Please do, and report back.

Brian Perm was one the most imaginative, inane, brilliant, terrible, sublime, banal shows of recent times

jobotic

I'm sure I saw him at Rochester station a few months ago and I would have told him how great his stuff is if I did that sort of thing and I was sure it was him.