Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:35:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Killing ladies in video games

Started by wooders1978, April 25, 2019, 07:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wooders1978

Recently due to gamer gate and a big move for diversity and equality there has been a big inclusion of female baddies/soldiers etc in games (far cry, assassins creed, red dead, you name it)  -
Call me a big old sexist but I can't say I enjoy slaying women in games and hearing their ladylike screams as I plunge a knife in their eye, I can't help but feel it isn't a good thing for gamer gate types to be doing either
What are your thoughts? Is it PC gone mad or should I get with the program here?

biggytitbo

It is weird how I don't give a second thought about commiting all manner of atrocities against male characters but I do still feel a weird tinge of guilt when its a female character.

I guess that means it's a good game?

madhair60

Oh? I thought men and women were supposed to be equal? I... guess not?

Thursday

Nope, I'm fine with killing women because I'm very woke and progressive.

hedgehog90

Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
In fact, I prefer killing women in games, because I'm so not sexist.

biggytitbo

Yesterday I was playing Hitman 2 and I incinerated a lady alive, that shows how progressive I am.

Absorb the anus burn

Apparently they're making a new game where you kill the entire Pacman family in the style of Michael Haneke's Funny Games.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on April 25, 2019, 10:21:11 AM
Apparently they're making a new game where you kill the entire Pacman family in the style of Michael Haneke's Funny Games.

Or like BTK did with the Oteros.

Clownbaby

If bad man soldiers can be slain bad lady soldiers can as well cause they're all baddies aren't they

Mister Six

I think so long as you're killing somebody you're doing the right thing.

Chollis

Twed

The problem for me was always that in games and movies it seemed like you were just "wasting" entirely insignificant woman characters. Inglorious Basterds is the main one that I think of for that. In that scene where a soldier says some German wrong and everybody starts firing guns, a waitress just gets blown away and it's like it doesn't matter. She had no agency in the situation, it was just like a completely detached "haha this piece of fuckmeat doesn't move anymore" and then you were supposed to feel sad about the men, who they had written characters for. I don't mean this as a thoughtful "well in society it should be this way" etc. etc., it just makes me feel immediately physically unhappy.

(ugh. Looking back at that scene I see there's also a proper woman character there and an equally inconsequential male barman, but it still feels like the point of her was to see a sexy woman get blown away for kicks. I could be wrong, this is really about me feeling icky due to caveman brain protectiveness reasons that are sexist in themselves)

That's often the same model used for computer game women. So yes, if they are as consequential or inconsequential as the men that get blown away then that's better. If there is zero "haha fuckmeat died" moments then that's great by me.

Bazooka

Doing the swan dive in Tomb Raider is a fond memory I will never forget, love ya L.C.

Clownbaby

I would've thought the point in that waitress being killed in Inglorious Basterds (if there was a point to it) would just be that they're violent bastards who think nothing of just killing whoever even if the person isn't involved in the stuff they've got going on

Twed

Quote from: Clownbaby on April 25, 2019, 03:48:15 PM
I would've thought the point in that waitress being killed in Inglorious Basterds (if there was a point to it) would just be that they're violent bastards who think nothing of just killing whoever even if the person isn't involved in the stuff they've got going on
Might be. Just thinking of an example that made me feel unhappy rather than trying to judge Tarantino, which sounds like something that would take a lot of effort. We could pretend somebody said something clever about the Bechdel Test and then everybody judged each other instead of having a conversation about it and I think we'd all save a couple hours. I wouldn't dare take the moral highground on this because I am literally sad that a pretty woman has been wasted, and the only thing that even vaguely redeems me is that I'd feel better if she had more control over the situation.

A better example would be light gun games, where women are used to represent "the thing you should not shoot or you will lose 200 points", crawling around on the floor in tight secretary skirts. My dad took me out to the arcade after the divorce and accidentally shot one and said "whoops she was quite attractive!"

I'm not damaged

I think it's quite alright to judge Crispin Taran-T'no as some sort of weapon who gives little thought to sinister (perhaps unconscious) undercurrents in his output. We're talking about a man who is so obsessed with dropping N bombs incongruously in films that he had to make one about slavery in order to be able to use it every other sentence. I recently had a quick bet with a mate that he has it in every single film without exception irrespective of context, but my pal won a pint by virtue of him managing to abstain for Kill Bill.

He also went on a tirade about how he wasn't a slave when asked to justify something (violence?) in his films, and was responsible for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mzqahILpAs

The bloke's a weapon.

Spoon of Ploff

On a similar vein to killing ladies in video games, how come in most video games you can shoot dogs but you can't shoot kids? What's that all about?

madhair60

Quote from: The Boston Crab on April 25, 2019, 05:07:44 PM
How else am I meant to get a bonar

The boston crab,

I have always read of this boaner but i can not get a boaner - regretably, i' dont even know what a boaner is in truth.

so my two quesion to you:

1. what is a boaner

2. how do i get a boaner

thank you,

madhair60

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Twed on April 25, 2019, 03:31:35 PM
fuckmeat

I can honestly say that word never entered my head during the entire running time of Inglorious Basterds.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on April 26, 2019, 01:08:13 PM
On a similar vein to killing ladies in video games, how come in most video games you can shoot dogs but you can't shoot kids? What's that all about?

Just another reason as to why the first two Fallout games are superior to the 3D sequels.  Killing kids ahoy!

Twed

Quote from: QDRPHNC on April 26, 2019, 01:52:47 PM
I can honestly say that word never entered my head during the entire running time of Inglorious Basterds.
Maybe you saw the French version where they changed it to The Fuckroyale with Cheese

madhair60

Quote from: Twed on April 26, 2019, 02:57:24 PM
Maybe you saw the French version where they changed it to The Fuckroyale with Cheese

tHe french version is called "le Inglourious Bastérds"

biggytitbo

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on April 26, 2019, 01:08:13 PM

Interesting point, you rarely even see kids in open world games do you?

FredNurke

If memory serves, they were supposed to appear in Syndicate, as were dogs, but the developers either bottled it or were told to remove them.

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 26, 2019, 02:09:48 PM
Just another reason as to why the first two Fallout games are superior to the 3D sequels.  Killing kids ahoy!

They removed kids from the Euro version of the games and broke a quest in the process (the one where you have to save the kid from the well).

You can mod the 3D ones for killing kids.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Default to the negative on April 26, 2019, 04:27:37 PM
They removed kids from the Euro version of the games and broke a quest in the process (the one where you have to save the kid from the well).

Indeed.  Thank goodness for patches, I say.  Patches which allow players to kill kids with gay abandon.

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 26, 2019, 04:38:25 PM
Indeed.  Thank goodness for patches, I say.  Patches which allow players to kill kids with gay abandon.

It's bad enough wanting to murder children, but abandon gays?

Quote from: madhair60 on April 26, 2019, 10:29:41 PM
abandon gays?

You can do that in New Vegas.

QuoteEt Tumor, Brute?: The player has the option of selling Arcade into slavery as Caesar's personal doctor, completing the quest.

Moribunderast

Theoretically it shouldn't really matter the gender of the "baddie" in a game, as long as it's not some fucked up domestic violence/rape simulator but I did have an occasion when killing a female boss in Far Cry Primal where the extremity of the pain-wails made me quite thankful nobody else was in the house to witness what I'd done. Though games that linger on extreme pain for anyone kinda make me feel guilty and grim.