Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:26:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Silly little things that mean you won't like a game

Started by Clownbaby, April 25, 2019, 09:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

When they're really obnoxiously proud of their innovative concept. i've always had a vibe of this from Assassin's Creed. Very pleased with itself

The main character has a stupid run (Dead Rising 2 lad running awkwardly with one hand keeping his big clumsy camera steady. It looks fucking daft and crap) imagine Lara Croft running with an expensive ipad in her hands all the time. Imagine how shit that would be.

Unskippable large chunks of talking where you have to stand still and listen to it every time

Characters with a grating EY TOOTS BADA BING BADA BOOM LET ME AT EM I'M ZANY kind of parrot from Aladdin tone

Massively different controls in games all from the same franchise, so one you jump with X, another you combine L1 and Select then fully the rotate left and then back again to jump come the second instalment. Piss off

The Lion King

Difficulty moving at a normal walking pace. The Witcher 3 comes to mind here, it's difficult to maintain immersion if accidentally nudging the joystick causes your character to sprint full pelt up onto someones roof

Shaky

Large underwater sections where you've got limited oxygen. I just find them a chore and, because I can't swim in real life, they freak me out a bit.

Dr Sanchez

Games that won't let me skip the cut scenes make me want to gauge my eyes out.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Dr Sanchez on April 26, 2019, 12:03:49 AM
Games that won't let me skip the cut scenes make me want to gauge my eyes out.

If game developers had their way.

the

If it's on a PC

If it's done in a first-person perspective when there's no technological restriction making concealing your character a necessity

If it involves Hit Points and Magic Points

If it's like a film

If it's like an Army Cunt game

If it was made after about 2004

BeardFaceMan

madhair60

Cuellar

Not being able to run in certain areas e.g. in camp in Red Dead 2.

Having to continually tap a button to run e.g. in Red Dead 2.

Red Dead 2.

Clownbaby

Quote from: the on April 26, 2019, 01:13:59 AM
If it's like a film

For me I prefer a clear line between the filmy cinematic bits and the bits where you're back to controlling the character. I hate this thing that's happening more and more with modern games, that the character is doing a lot of impressive cinematic movement but all you have to do is be pushing forward or press □ occasionally or something so it's like one big long cinematic with the odd throwaway player interaction thrown in. I hate that.

Clownbaby

Oh oh also not having any abilities and needing to pick them up as you go along RAYMAN 1

madhair60

I'm just gonna say it and brave the slings and arrows.

I can't abide what the bad people would probably call "Tumblr" shit. Celeste had - in my opinion - one of the most derisory, "that'll do" takes on depression and anxiety I've ever seen, and it got praised to the heavens for its story. Great game but that story was fucking insultingly banal. Stuff like that winds me up.

biggytitbo

When you reload after dying and it goes straight back into the game without a button prompt first. Means if I nip off for a piss whilst its loading I could be dead again by the time I come back.

Clownbaby

Quote from: madhair60 on April 26, 2019, 09:58:34 AM

I can't abide what the bad people would probably call "Tumblr" shit. Celeste had - in my opinion - one of the most derisory, "that'll do" takes on depression and anxiety I've ever seen, and it got praised to the heavens for its story. Great game but that story was fucking insultingly banal. Stuff like that winds me up.

It annoys me that often the subject matter being there at all warrants praise so if it's not done very well, people can just argue back "but you can't argue with the importance of the SUBJECT MATTER"

madhair60

Quote from: Clownbaby on April 26, 2019, 10:03:01 AM
It annoys me that often the subject matter being there at all warrants praise so if it's not done very well, people can just argue back "but you can't argue with the importance of the SUBJECT MATTER"

Yeah basically this. I suppose what really bothers me is that sort of critic-proofing rather than the actual subject matter

Crafting and survival. Way too many games, especially indies, come up with a decent art style and premise, but because they've no budget to build a Witcher or Bioshock they just slap it onto a generic survival game.

We Happy Few was the absolute nadir. An absolute waste of an idea. They are adapting it into a film which is great news because it had no business ever being a video game made on a shoestring.

Jerzy Bondov

Yes, crafting, fuck my life. Boring. Boring. Boring. Get it gone. Well, somebody must like it. Don't get it gone. It's just not for me.

Cuellar

Completed RDR2 without crafting a single item (apart from cooking food). Quite happy about that.

Quote from: madhair60 on April 26, 2019, 09:58:34 AM

Totally agree. Concept of a mountain as a metaphor and a fucking hard game with failure after failure and moments of fleeting success is a perfectly decent concept. The Gothic concept of distorted reflections of your conscience/nature is fine. Writing and characters were cunt tier and the message of 'befriending your depreshun' was one fat AID.

jimboslice

Quote from: Shaky on April 25, 2019, 11:55:21 PM
Large underwater sections where you've got limited oxygen. I just find them a chore and, because I can't swim in real life, they freak me out a bit.

The countdown music in the first Sonic game was incredibly upsetting for a 7 year old.

Kelvin

Yeah, the story in the last third of Celeste puts me off playing it again. It's the equivilant of those pictures of a mountain in your manager's office with the quote "First you must conquer yourself" printed under it.

jimboslice

Story in general is completely unnecessary in platform games. I don't need to know what motivations my character has for jumping.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Character customisation options in a FIRST PERSON game. i.e. Far Cry 5 (Although one of the smaller things to dislike about that game)

St_Eddie

Weapon degradation.  Hate it.  What's fun about constantly having to worry that your rifle or sword is going to fall to pieces every 10 minutes?  It's not fun, it's stressful.  What the fuck do they even make weapons out of in games?  Cardboard, blu tack and masking tape?

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 26, 2019, 02:06:56 PM
Weapon degradation.  Hate it.  What's fun about constantly having to worry that your rifle or sword is going to fall to pieces every 10 minutes?  It's not fun, it's stressful.  What the fuck do they even make weapons out of in games?  Cardboard, blu tack and masking tape?

I don't hate it in all its forms (Far Cry 2 has a terrifically involving take on it, with weapons that jam and misfire), but it's still a mechanic that in my opinion adds nothing to Breath of the Wild, nothing to Dark Souls, etc.

Phil_A

The worst example of this for me was Silent Hill Origins, where every melee weapon you pick up appears to be made of polystyrene. You end up with absurd situations where you have 5 golf clubs and a broken TV as your armoury.

Avril Lavigne

That plus the time limit & time-sensitive missions/events really put me off the Dead Rising games. I probably posted this before in another thread but it seemed like such a waste of a good premise to have a whole shopping complex as your sandbox yet constantly feel you don't have enough time to mess around and any item you pick up will have the durability of an undercooked hash brown.

madhair60

Ah yeah Dead Rising. See I didn't mind it so much there because it fits thematically a little more?

Jerzy Bondov

Weapon degradation is okay in Yakuza because the weapons are really just there for a bit of a laugh or to steamroll annoying enemies. Plus it makes sense that a rice cooker would break after you use it to boil someone's head. Otherwise it's shit.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: madhair60 on April 26, 2019, 02:54:48 PM
Ah yeah Dead Rising. See I didn't mind it so much there because it fits thematically a little more?

Yeah I understand what they were going for and how it helps convey some of the stress that you really would feel in that situation, I just would have had more fun without those artificial constraints as I love taking my time / screwing around outside of missions in open-world games.