Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:55:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Silly little things that mean you won't like a game

Started by Clownbaby, April 25, 2019, 09:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on April 26, 2019, 02:53:54 PM
That plus the time limit & time-sensitive missions/events really put me off the Dead Rising games. I probably posted this before in another thread but it seemed like such a waste of a good premise to have a whole shopping complex as your sandbox yet constantly feel you don't have enough time to mess around and any item you pick up will have the durability of an undercooked hash brown.

I share your distaste for time-sensitive missions in general (and certainly in regards to Dead Rising) but I can think of at least one exception; The Descent series, where the player has to pilot their ship to reach the reactor core of a mine, destroy it and then hurriedly escape the complex before it blows up.  That was a good kind of time-sensitive induced stress for me because it reminded me of Ripley escaping the Nostromo at the end of Alien, or more aptly, the Millennium Falcon escaping the second Death Star at the end of Return of the Jedi.

There was something intrinsically satisfying about the whole process; you, yourself being the cause of your time-sensitive predicament and the explosive payoff at the end of your panic induced scramble.

QDRPHNC

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Cuellar on April 26, 2019, 09:24:47 AM
Not being able to run in certain areas e.g. in camp in Red Dead 2.

Having to continually tap a button to run e.g. in Red Dead 2.

Red Dead 2.

I still don't know why Rockstar persist with this archaic design choice. It's obviously somebody at the top telling them to implement it, because if they asked any of their playtesters, none of them like hammering fuck out of a button just to move around the game world. It certainly puts me off ever replaying any Rockstar game.

Space ghost

You can change that in the settings of rdr2 btw. You don't have to tap the button to run.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Oh. Still have to tap a button to ride the bastard horse though, yes?

Zetetic

They removed the time component in Dead Rising 4, I believe, and - with a few other changes - made it a moderately pointless sandbox for people to mess about with some of the aesthetic trappings of the series. Similar, I suppose to Far Cry 3 onwards with respect to Far Cry 2 - except that DR4 seems to have killed the series while FC has gone from strength to strength (as it grows yet more repugnant in its vacuity).

Something in there for what artlessly fiddling with 'difficulty' actually looks like. (Not that I can be doing with Dead Rising personally.)

An excessive amount of weapon decoration options is not a bad warning sign that it's a shit game for wankers.

Space ghost

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 26, 2019, 04:50:05 PM
Oh. Still have to tap a button to ride the bastard horse though, yes?

I think so yeah but also that's probably for the best as you need a greater degree of control on the horsey.

samadriel

Quote from: madhair60 on April 26, 2019, 02:26:38 PM
I don't hate it in all its forms (Far Cry 2 has a terrifically involving take on it, with weapons that jam and misfire)

Fuck that, every decent weapon started jamming/misfiring after you'd fired A SINGLE CLIP of ammunition.  Fucking useless.  I can just about take it in STALKER: CoP, because that's generally an excellent game and weapons are robust enough to last a good while exploring the Zone before you have to have them repaired; FC2's weapon degredation was a joke.  And so was the 'you're sick, occasionally press a button to take pills' 'system'.  And the different-but-identical allies who were obviously meant to mix things up a bit on subsequent playthroughs, but they had no character, so they were just all boring.  And the enemy camps that you could wipe out, but which were fully manned again as soon as you rounded the next corner.  God, Far Cry 2, what a shit game.

Captain Poodle Basher

Not so much silly little things but three little words.

"Turn Based Combat"

No Fucking Way.

See also the word "Japanese" anywhere in the game's description. 99% of these will feature the above mentioned combat shitery as well as a cast of Peado-bait characters.

No Fucking Way.

madhair60

Quote from: samadriel on April 27, 2019, 06:52:20 AM
Fuck that, every decent weapon started jamming/misfiring after you'd fired A SINGLE CLIP of ammunition.  Fucking useless.  I can just about take it in STALKER: CoP, because that's generally an excellent game and weapons are robust enough to last a good while exploring the Zone before you have to have them repaired; FC2's weapon degredation was a joke.  And so was the 'you're sick, occasionally press a button to take pills' 'system'.  And the different-but-identical allies who were obviously meant to mix things up a bit on subsequent playthroughs, but they had no character, so they were just all boring.  And the enemy camps that you could wipe out, but which were fully manned again as soon as you rounded the next corner.  God, Far Cry 2, what a shit game.

I really enjoyed Far Cry 2, don't really give a fuck about any of this

Twed

Quote from: madhair60 on April 26, 2019, 09:58:34 AM
I'm just gonna say it and brave the slings and arrows.

I can't abide what the bad people would probably call "Tumblr" shit. Celeste had - in my opinion - one of the most derisory, "that'll do" takes on depression and anxiety I've ever seen, and it got praised to the heavens for its story. Great game but that story was fucking insultingly banal. Stuff like that winds me up.
The thing that I realised annoys me about this stuff is that it's never something an outsider has made. It's always something puked up by people who are popular on social media. I think the real tortured soul art gets ignored, or just not funded.

Mister Six

Dead Rising was full of stuff that infuriated me:

* The shit inventory system that put health items in a queue with weapons, so you'd be hammering away on a crowd of Zomba, then your weapon would break and suddenly Frank would be glugging down orange juice even though he was at full health;

* Filling the mall with fun stuff to discover then chaining you to a series of timers that discourage exploration and playing around;

* Basing Frank's movement and combat skills around mashing up hordes of dumb zombies then making the player fight human foes that are too fast and agile for him to fight competently;

* Letting the player get locked into surprise boss fights that require (say) ranged weapons that they might not have, making the game impossible to complete;

* Probably a load of other things I've forgotten about.

It was like it was made by a team of fun-loving, creative sorts who were managed by a drooling moron.

Consignia

Dead Rising is such a small game both in length and area, that the time limit really does not pose a problem in my mind. It's kind of meant to be played iteratively, so you edge closer to the perfect game each time. It rewards you for dying by keeping your stats for the next playthrough. If you want to spend your 3 days (6 of your normal hours) just pissing around the mall, you can do. That's more than enough time to venture into every shop and have your fun putting lego heads on zombies. I've honestly never felt the time limit really that much of hinderance. There's also infinity mode for those who want to just play a survival sandbox.

Needless to say I loved the game, warts and all. I pretty much bought a 360 just to play it. The later ones removed many of the constraints and didn't really feel as much fun in my mind.

Bazooka

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on April 26, 2019, 10:53:37 AM
Yes, crafting, fuck my life. Boring. Boring. Boring. Get it gone. Well, somebody must like it. Don't get it gone. It's just not for me.

Crafting is fine until you have to check two other fucking menus to see what you require for said item.

Female protagonist. Just can't get my head round it.

Glebe

Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of sports games or first-person shooters, which I totes suck at.

VelourSpirit

Crafting can FUCK OFF
I don't want to go around collecting materials to make one potion that will benefit me for like 5 seconds, how can anyone love doing something so menial like that

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I liked the crafting element in The Last Of Us. Added a bit of a danger element, especially in multiplayer, where you were frantically trying to make a Molotov or something to lob at somebody.

Bazooka

Quote from: Phil_A on April 26, 2019, 02:48:34 PM
The worst example of this for me was Silent Hill Origins, where every melee weapon you pick up appears to be made of polystyrene. You end up with absurd situations where you have 5 golf clubs and a broken TV as your armoury.

Correct and also another reason Breath of The Wild is the worst Zelda game.

St_Eddie

Male protagonist. Just can't get my head round it.

Clownbaby

I'm getting very very sick of how automatic games seem to be getting. As in 50% gameplay, 50% "sit and watch this cinematic as we flaunt our good graphics" UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF'S END.

Yes it looks great. Yes, the characters' faces look nice and move quite well. Yes I know a story has to be set up but fucking Christ the cinematics are drawn out at the start. And I hate this thing with cinematic loaded action games where you can tell they might have thought "hmm we've stretched out this cinematic too long, better give the player something to do how about put a symbol saying press Triangle once to open this door then they'll feel like they're doing something." There are so many times when I've been in the middle of a fist fight with a character in this game and I think I'm still playing it til I realise it went into cinematic halfway through the fight and the cinematic is doing all the hard moves for me.

Also climbing in this game is piss easy because your boy automatically reaches up at ledges and bits so if you just lazily push the direction stick around most of the climbing will happen without you having to do anything. I have it set on hard and it's ridiculously easy. The only challenge with it is the stealth sneaking.Thank fuck the baddies actually see you when you come into their line of sight. Imagine if the developers thought "oh no we don't want to piss off the players by making it too hard" with that as well. Fucking hard my arse. Honestly.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 27, 2019, 10:01:50 PM
I liked the crafting element in The Last Of Us. Added a bit of a danger element, especially in multiplayer, where you were frantically trying to make a Molotov or something to lob at somebody.

I thought this was a very nicely done stealth game. Genuinely challenging and tense and the crafting obviously made sense with the subject matter. And the abandoned homes and buildings were nice to explore so I didn't feel like I was just obsessively rummaging in drawer after drawer looking for crafty bits like I often find with craft heavy games.

Hey, Punk!

I hate that you can't block or dodge Nadine's attacks in U4, the fight could still be incredibly hard, but I would at least like the illusion that you could defeat her.

Hedgehog protagonist. Just can't get my head round it.

Bazooka

When you go through a door, and the camera angle changes meaning you go back through the same door, all the doors look the same mate.

Most RPG's get it right, but sometimes when equipping new items make the process of checking stat changes a really fucking pain in the arse, you have to jump back and forth between windows to see if the new item is a piece of shit.

madhair60

Quote from: Bazooka on April 30, 2019, 08:04:01 AM
When you go through a door, and the camera angle changes meaning you go back through the same door, all the doors look the same mate.

Honestly thought I was the only one. I get turned around constantly in 3D space.

Clownbaby

Bland character design where they make the character look as realistically proportioned as possible. Particularly when it's redesigns of classic characters, like Lara Croft. I still think they could have made her more humanly convincing without completely erasing any of her distinctive features (I'm not talking about the tits necessarily) as with the most recent tomb raider games Lara looks like quite nondescript. Arguments that "nobody could climb with those tits they're really impractical" are irrelevant cause it's not fucking real anyway. But I get why they were reduced in size, the tit thing doesn't bother me, it's more the general changed vibe of the character that I'm not impressed with.

I'm not really impressed by video game characters with very realistic and un-visual body proportions. It seems like the more graphics develop, the more the majority of game designers are afraid to stylise and push the limits of how a game and the characters can look. Imagine if they made a reboot of Crash Bandicoot where he looked like an actual bandicoot imagine how shit that would be

magval

I had a bit of an issue when Tomb Raider (the latest "Tomb Raider", the newest 'first one') moved from PS3 to PS4, and they up-sexed Lara, giving her a minor overhaul (bigger lips, other curvy bits accentuated). She was genuinely much easier to root for in the PS3 version because she looked more like a normal person, and had this constant affixed worried expression. She was out of her depth, young, scared. It was class. Really cared about her.

Sexy pouty HD remaster Lara hasn't got that and the game does suffer a bit as result, if you're playing for story (and have the early version to compare it to).

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Disregarding looks for a minute, I just don't like the way they made New Lara such a dullard. Old Lara was an aristocratic English girl who made witty quips whilst raiding tombs and shooting some animals. New Lara is such a bore in comparison. If I met her in the pub I don't think I'd even buy her a drink. She'd probably only fall on it and cut her jugular open somehow anyway.

The Lion King

One thing I find a bit weird is when you undertake a quest in a game and somehow get sidetracked for what would be weeks and weeks in-game, then when you decide to pick up where you left off, for example, meeting a chap at the entrance to a dungeon, the guy is just stood there and carries on like he hasn't been standing there in the cold freezing his tits off after you arranged to meet a month ago. This happens a lot in Skyrim! And RDR2! Would be good if they could have some kind of 'what the fuck man where have you been!?' dialogue. Very fussy yes