Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:25:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Silly little things that mean you won't like a game

Started by Clownbaby, April 25, 2019, 09:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Cel shading is cool. It was the only thing to enjoy in XIII which otherwise was a massive disappointment.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 05, 2019, 10:41:53 PM
Cel shading is cool. It was the only thing to enjoy in XIII which otherwise was a massive disappointment.

I felt XIII was very nice myself, cel shading included. It's sort of pale nowadays but it was a decent sidetrack for what it was. Maybe it's because I played it long after it was released that I view it so favourably, but it's definitely one of my favourite shooters even if I've only replayed it once or twice. One of those games that only has to make a good impression once to last because of its stylistic presentation, you get me? Like Max Payne.

Ferris

It looked super cool and I was really excited to fire up the GameCube and play it, but then it was clunky and shit and I felt sad.

I think I just had very unrealistic expectations.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 06, 2019, 12:41:59 PM
It looked super cool and I was really excited to fire up the GameCube and play it, but then it was clunky and shit and I felt sad.

I think I just had very unrealistic expectations.

PC version plays pretty slick, the console versions are clunkers I won't deny. They're remaking it but they'll probably shit it up.

Bazooka

I don't remember it being clunky on Xbox, and that's playing it with a breeze block controller. But not played it since release.

H-O-W-L

I first played it on the PS2 and the aiming was a bit shit in that. On PC it's a blast, the pace is totally different and way faster. But maybe I'm just innately shit at aiming on a controller.

José

Ferris

Clownbaby

The walking controls for Silent Hill 2 and 3 are much more upsetting than any of the creatures in the games I mean Christ by this time so many games had smooth walking/running/moveable camera sorted out, there's really no reason for it to be this bad. Completely unplayable, it shouldn't be a challenge in itself to walk in a straight line without the camera jumping to a different angle and changing forwards to backwards so the stupid character starts backing away from the camera. This is the remastered HD collection I'm talking about, mind. I never had em on PS2 so I don't know if those were any better. Changing to 2D controls in the settings just barely improves the walking but you've still got that spacky camera jumping about.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Clownbaby on November 06, 2019, 09:42:57 AM
The walking controls for Silent Hill 2 and 3 are much more upsetting than any of the creatures in the games I mean Christ by this time so many games had smooth walking/running/moveable camera sorted out, there's really no reason for it to be this bad. Completely unplayable, it shouldn't be a challenge in itself to walk in a straight line without the camera jumping to a different angle and changing forwards to backwards so the stupid character starts backing away from the camera. This is the remastered HD collection I'm talking about, mind. I never had em on PS2 so I don't know if those were any better. Changing to 2D controls in the settings just barely improves the walking but you've still got that spacky camera jumping about.

Remastered HD collections are notoriously shit and straight up break elements of the game.

Clownbaby

I don't like the new Lara Croft design cause she just looks like Emma Thompson mixed with Ellen Page or someone else pure plain so I like how you can change the character skin in Shadow Of The Tomb Raider into one of the old character models.

Instantly feels like an older Tomb Raider game somehow and you've got the added thing of this Barbie looking mannequin without a moving mouth interacting with HD realistic characters in the cinematics as if nothing is different, which I find funny

madhair60

Quote from: Clownbaby on November 06, 2019, 09:42:57 AM

As H-O-W-L says, those remastered versions are appalling.

NJ Uncut

Being ugly, especially ugly 2D, in 2019.

2D I can get on with. It's when it is by an 8bit fetishist making it look like a fuckin Spectrum game. But remember gaming mags, as a wee 'un? Would score for graphics. This isn't always whizzbang wowsers splendour, but aesthetics fuckin matter a ton. If you try to do less, why should you score more?

This especially rankles when it ties into menu design, controls, the general appearance. I want some sop to the fact we're nearly 20 years past the year 2000.

And I know for some games being limited in some way is absolutely the right choice, aesthetically, spiritually, technically, the lot. But not this many surely?

Disclaimer: want to make use of my new gaming computer build and I've played Dwarf Fortress so not totally thick and closed off

Sin Agog

I don't like RPGs having so many playable characters that you either have to shelf some of them, or grudgingly train them up so they're not completely useless.  The latter feels like drudge work, and the former leaves me with a nagging guilty feeling as poor old Red XIII gathers dust because he's a bit quieter than the other characters.

Phil_A

Quote from: Sin Agog on November 08, 2019, 12:54:42 PM
I don't like RPGs having so many playable characters that you either have to shelf some of them, or grudgingly train them up so they're not completely useless.  The latter feels like drudge work, and the former leaves me with a nagging guilty feeling as poor old Red XIII gathers dust because he's a bit quieter than the other characters.

I think i'm right in saying characters not in your party in FF7 gained EXP in tandem with the ones that were? Fron memory I'm sure that was the case. I wish every RPG did that.

Consignia

Quote from: Phil_A on November 08, 2019, 02:41:28 PM
I think i'm right in saying characters not in your party in FF7 gained EXP in tandem with the ones that were? Fron memory I'm sure that was the case. I wish every RPG did that.

FF7 only have characters gain 50% experience when not participating in battle, so that could lag behind a bit. I remember it being pretty bad, but looking it up it wasn't. However, you don't get materia growth or limit break leveling, which is quite a bit in that game.