Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:13:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

UKIP MEP candidate caught up in racial slur scandal

Started by Monsieur Verdoux, April 26, 2019, 12:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

I must admit, when I heard his remarks about rape, I did think, if anyone must be raped, let it be him.  It seems fair somehow.

Quote from: Baron von Klaus on April 26, 2019, 04:33:42 PM
You know, people can still think he comes across as a twat without believing all that stuff at the end (which I don't, you'll be pleased to hear).

Every conversation about every odious right wing figure always features some numbskull riding in with the framing of "well they haven't really said/done anything contentious, people are only saying this because they've been brainwashed by the liberal media and THE LEFT HATES FREE SPEECH AND WANTS TO MAKE IT ILLEGAL!!!"

Always bullshit, always bad faith, don't fall for it. I knew about these comments well before the media picked them up and found them objectionable then, so trying to frame this as some hysteria about free speech is flagrant horseshit, and a way of abstracting the issue into absurdity

There are some people for whom 'freedom of speech' clearly means 'freedom from criticism/scrutiny'. Like with Morrissey's various brainfarts, people will say "I dunno about this" and then some cheesebrain will ride in and say "what about freedom of speech???!!!" and it's like, yeah, what about it? Nobody was proposing to lock these people up or fine them or anything so what about it? It's a way of deflecting from the substance of the remarks by careening into some hysterical hypothetical.

To anyone who wants to criticise the above posts, have you considered my freedom of speech?

sponk

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on April 26, 2019, 05:25:45 PM
There are some people for whom 'freedom of speech' clearly means 'freedom from criticism/scrutiny'. Like with Morrissey's various brainfarts, people will say "I dunno about this" and then some cheesebrain will ride in and say "what about freedom of speech???!!!" and it's like, yeah, what about it? Nobody was proposing to lock these people up or fine them or anything so what about it? It's a way of deflecting from the substance of the remarks by careening into some hysterical hypothetical.

To play DA for SoA, when has he ever said he shouldn't be criticised? He always seems infuriatingly unconcerned and smug whenever his comments are read back to him, and I've never seen him being "triggered" by the criticism as some people seem to be claiming.

The clip where he says that people are "acting like a bunch of n**gers" is a clip where he's being 'triggered by criticism'

Or watch the first section of his Joe Rogan interview where he gets incredibly steamed up about being called a 'garbage human' by someone he built his reputation on harassing

Quote from: sponk on April 26, 2019, 05:35:01 PM
To play DA for SoA, when has he ever said he shouldn't be criticised?

This can be inferred from context right? The fact that his response to scrutiny is 'freedom of speech' even in the absence of any punitive threat shows that he's hysterically invoking it in order to deflect criticism

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

biggytitbo

Having watched a couple of the interviews with him he does come across as a bit of a borish prick, and smug too. I'm not sure how some people (like Owen Jones and David Lammy) think he's a 'fascist' though. Do they just not know what that means?

Jones didn't say he was fascist, he said UKIP is fascist. And where did Lammy say he was fascist?

sponk

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 26, 2019, 06:26:02 PM
Having watched a couple of the interviews with him he does come across as a bit of a borish prick, and smug too. I'm not sure how some people (like Owen Jones and David Lammy) think he's a 'fascist' though. Do they just not know what that means?

You can't get a man to understand fascism when his career depends on him not understanding it, and whipping up fear about it.

sponk

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on April 26, 2019, 06:31:21 PM
Jones didn't say he was fascist, he said UKIP is fascist. And where did Lammy say he was fascist?

He sort of did.
QuoteIn Episode #358338 of 'No, This Is Not A Drill, Fascism Really Is A Growing Menace', a leading UKIP MEP candidate invites supporters to use a chat room infested with white supremacists and antisemites

Ehhh that could be interpreted as meaning that the chatroom is a fascist breeding ground which Carl is lending legitimacy to, it's not necessarily directed at Carl himself

Tbh, there's enough there there that I'm not sure why anyone would die on this hill

biggytitbo

David Lammy thinks Jacob Rees Mogg is worse than the Nazis, so he's not exactly left himself much scope to have a go at the likes of UKIP using mere words. Maybe gutteral noises or interpretive dance?

If anything we need a moratorium on the words nazi and fascist at this stage, if not just to save the status quo establishment from continually making themselves look desperate and stupid.

But did Lammy call Carl Benjamin fascist? And if so, where?

Because otherwise it seems like we're lowering the bar here for no reason, which is another kind of common deflective framing "well so-and-so may be x, y and z, but they're not a fascist". Who said they were? Citations needed!

biggytitbo

I don't think he has directly, I must have conflated it with the half the planet he has already called fascists and nazis. Clearly he can't call Benjamin a fascist now if he wishes to remain consistent, he will have to escalate to the ming the merciless level galactic evil.

Paul Calf

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 26, 2019, 07:08:43 PM
David Lammy thinks Jacob Rees Mogg is worse than the Nazis, so he's not exactly left himself much scope to have a go at the likes of UKIP using mere words. Maybe gutteral noises or interpretive dance?

If anything we need a moratorium on the words nazi and fascist at this stage, if not just to save the status quo establishment from continually making themselves look desperate and stupid.

That's not going to happen and you are still planning to vote for s fascist's party. Wear it, prick.

So neither Owen Jones nor David Lammy actually directly called Carl Benjamin a fascist? I am shocked!

sponk

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 26, 2019, 07:31:59 PM
I don't think he has directly, I must have conflated it with the half the planet he has already called fascists and nazis. Clearly he can't call Benjamin a fascist now if he wishes to remain consistent, he will have to escalate to the ming the merciless level galactic evil.

You're right about this. You can be forgiven for making the mistake as they're both obsessed with calling people racists and fascists. They're just as divisive and bad for race relations as many of the right-wingers they're accusing.

jobotic

Who'd have thought this thread would end up with cunts coming out with the anti-fascists are the real fascists shit?

Imagine finding Owen Jones more objectionable than this cunt. Then imagine voting for Farage.

sponk

Quote from: jobotic on April 26, 2019, 07:53:28 PM
Who'd have thought this thread would end up with cunts coming out with the anti-fascists are the real fascists shit?

Imagine finding Owen Jones more objectionable than this cunt. Then imagine voting for Farage.

Who said anti-fascists are fascists? I find Jones and other left-wingers like him more objectionable than Sargon because I expect and want better of them. I expect the far right to be a bunch of hateful, dishonest, racial tension provoking cunts but I wish people on my side would rise above that.

Completely unrelated grievances about Owen Jones and David Lammy should probably be aired in a separate thread, ta

biggytitbo

Quote from: jobotic on April 26, 2019, 07:53:28 PM

I'd like to say I don't find Owen Jones more objectionable than Benjamin. Jones has his faults like anyone but I have a lot of time for him. He's a hell of a lot better than Paul Mason that's for sure.

biggytitbo

I don't think the brexit party is a fascist party, if you do then you are a moron who doesn't understand what fascism is. The brexit party is a single issue protest party set up for those that wish to respect a democratic vote to leave the EU.

But then having Nigel Farage living in your mind, eating your brain, it's hardly surprising you believe mad things.