Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:17:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pobol y Cwm

Started by hummingofevil, April 26, 2019, 02:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummingofevil

Any other fans out there?

I used to watch in the 90s and have recently started up again. The intention was just something to help me practice my welsh but I've got hooked. I try to avoid soaps so can't really compare the standard to likes of Emmerdale but it really is brilliant and the acting is incredible.

I'm a bit lost on some of the back story (I started watching in January but obviously some of the stories seem to go back years) but if you fancy joining me it's all here.

https://www.s4c.cymru/clic/programme/802295931

PowerButchi

Used to love it a few years ago, but while Garry Monk was always major in it he pretty much became Poochie in it a few years ago with "Where is Garry?" every time he wasn't on screen. He's possibly my least favourite character in anything ever Just couldn't be doing with him in a "go away" manner as opposed to "an interesting baddie". I think it was just after Scott raped Macsen in revenge for him raping Izzy.

Dai Sgaffalde and Diane's wedding being refused at the alter as he was pissed as a fart by the vicar years back was tremendous. As was the gripping "Cadno's cows have TB" storyline. Is Sioned still in it and dead fit? And is Colin still in it and dead annoying? Is Hywel Llewellyn still shagging every woman in Cwmderi at some point or another?

EDIE: Just noticed Clic has the box set of the first series of Con Passionate. One of my favourite dramas ever, probably my very favourite which isn't in English. Ace.

hummingofevil

Quote from: PowerButchi on April 26, 2019, 03:46:44 PM
Used to love it a few years ago, but while Garry Monk was always major in it he pretty much became Poochie in it a few years ago with "Where is Garry?" every time he wasn't on screen. He's possibly my least favourite character in anything ever Just couldn't be doing with him in a "go away" manner as opposed to "an interesting baddie". I think it was just after Scott raped Macsen in revenge for him raping Izzy.

Dai Sgaffalde and Diane's wedding being refused at the alter as he was pissed as a fart by the vicar years back was tremendous. As was the gripping "Cadno's cows have TB" storyline. Is Sioned still in it and dead fit? And is Colin still in it and dead annoying? Is Hywel Llewellyn still shagging every woman in Cwmderi at some point or another?

EDIE: Just noticed Clic has the box set of the first series of Con Passionate. One of my favourite dramas ever, probably my very favourite which isn't in English. Ace.

Diolch. I'll add it to my list. I'm currently working through Y Gwyll/Hinterland. Love it.

Garry has morphed into a solid nice guy character. Just runs the Deri and is salt of the Earth and only shows occasional glimpses of his past. Colin is in prison ("carchar" is up there with my favourite words) because Aaron was being groomed online by Neville so Colin and Garry pretended to be Aaron to meet him but Colin lost his rag and beat up Neville. Britt is having a breakdown because of it all and is secretly not taking her meds so Garry and Dani's main storyline is just trying to be a kind brother. Colin is a total dweeb but has hero status in prison for twatting a nonce. Garry went to visit him only for another prisoner to tell Garry that now he knows Colin knows Garry he is going to go after him. Garry whispered to the prisoner that he will tell everyone that he (the prisoner) was a police informant and poured water on his shoes. That's the hardest thing he has done since Christmas.

Sioned is still in it and yes, I agree. It's her voice more than anything else. Just melt in it... She is living with Math as friends and is on a self-imposed man-ban after her being a man-beater and all that. There was some confusion yesterday where Eileen didn't realise that Eifion was bisexual and must have a new boyfriend because he bought a punch bag for the farm. Sioned explained to Eileen that Eifion wasn't gay just because he had sex with men but it turns out that Eifion didn't have a new boyfriend but he was just sad when he confided in Sioned and when Eileen saw them hugging she thought they must be shagging even though they are brother and sister (which I didn't realise they weren't).

Speaking of which Ffion is in a love triangle with Hywel and his son Rhys. She used to be seeing Hywel but is now shagging Rhys but last night she snogged Hywel when Rhys was baby sitting their kids.

Apart from the brilliant but very sad Britt stuff, the real highlight is Ed and Kelly storyline. They recently got married and she is pregnant "Dw i'n preggers!". He is a lying shit and after a long story involving him thinking he murdered Angela, Sioned being in a coma, them getting married, Angela turning up at the reception, blackmail and then him actually trying to kill Angela, Kelly find out and leaving him they have got back togther and yesterday Kelly made Ed swear on her baby's life that there are no more lies. He did. There are.

It is not going to end well.

PowerButchi

A storyline with Garry and Colin together as a team? Ugh, Good to see that old randy bollocks Llewellyn is having a crack at Ffion again. WHen I stopped watching it he just chucked her for Colin's ex wife, and she went out with Jinx seemingly as both were from Dolgellau or something. Of course, she got with Hywel in the first place after chucking away her ex husband, Owen the mad prostitute beating vicar (BEST STORYLINE IN SOAP EVER).

I might give it another go.

hummingofevil

I am genuinely gutted I have not been watching it for last decade. If I could find a vault I would probably give it a go. Sounds mental.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99hbhAJXabE

Just watch that. Amazing.

bgmnts

And people say Welsh is a useless language.

hummingofevil

Quote from: bgmnts on April 26, 2019, 09:43:18 PM
And people say Welsh is a useless language.

The same people who claim it is dying yet miraculously every pub in north Wales is full of Welsh speakers who slip into Cymraeg the moment they walk in! Or cunts as I prefer to think of them.

Pobol y Cwm transcends the language anyway. Its is ace.

bgmnts

I always remember Rownd a Rownd. What happened to that?

PowerButchi

Yeah it's still going. Even better a youth soap was Pam Fi Duw which had Brian Hibbard in it. As did Rownd a Rownd. And Pobol Y Cwm. And every Welsh drama ever made. He is the most Welsh looking man of all time though.

PowerButchi

Meic Pierce was the man. I used to have a CAFFI MEIC PIERCE mug, with a terrible picture of him on it which my mam threw away when I left Plas Madoc to go to Yorkshire for work for three months in 2006.

Anyway, as well as our Sioned love, I've always carried a torch for Sheryl. But not as much as the torch I carried for a band called Y Phil Bennetts. A band consisting of Pobol Y Cwm actors who played Jason, Token Gog Jinx, and Old Randy Bollocks Hywel Llewellyn.

Here's a link to a song which doesn't work anymore, but Cerrig y Brigau they did was a tune.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/tracks/n4ngp3

hummingofevil

Oh yes! Just caught up on Friday's episode. Corker!

Icehaven

I lived in Wales for 4 years and we used to call it Probably Cum, if that's any use.

Harry Badger

I have been on the set of Pobol y Cwm and can confirm the chip shop actually smells like a chip shop.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: icehaven on May 18, 2019, 03:22:51 PM
I lived in Wales for 4 years and we used to call it Probably Cum, if that's any use.

It's actually pronounced Probably Quim.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Harry Badger on May 19, 2019, 02:08:36 PM
I have been on the set of Pobol y Cwm and can confirm the chip shop actually smells like a chip shop.

Is that because it is a functioning Siop Chip or do they pipe in a scent?

Also to the rest of you ha ha lol welsh language. Bet you all hate black people too.

Harry Badger

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 20, 2019, 07:31:56 PM
Is that because it is a functioning Siop Chip or do they pipe in a scent?

I'd say the former as you could smell it from outside.

hummingofevil

I want Brett to sell me chips and give her a big hug and tell her everything will be okay.

Jittlebags

I can vouchsafe that the bloke who played Mrs Mc Gurke's husband about 20 years a go is a bit of a twat in real life.

Jittlebags

Oh, and I also threw up in her alleged dressing room at BBC Llandafff.

hummingofevil

Anyone actually watching? The last two episodes have been utterly fucking mental. Ed is a fucking maniac and the way they are simlutaneously teasing multiple storylines ranging from utterly silly to utterly horrific is a masterclass in soap writing. Spoilers below.

- Britt has depression, was sectioned and is now missing feared dead.
- Ed has murdered Angela and is has kidnapped his own pregnant wife.
- Hwyel still doesn't know that his own son is shagging is ex-wife.
- Mark's mam has told Mark that Debbie is having an affair but it looks like that she is actually arranging a secret wedding instead.

Fucking love this shit. Genuinely best TV show on TV.

(I also watched tonight without subtitles so got a bit of a Cymro-on). Mae dal gen i ymarfer Cymraeg ond dw i'n dysgu!

hummingofevil

Quote from: Jittlebags on May 21, 2019, 12:53:06 AM
Oh, and I also threw up in her alleged dressing room at BBC Llandafff.

What's the story? Ti'n siarad cymraeg? There are a few of us trying to get something together via DMs but would love a real welsh speaker to help us.

Psmith

I watched  in the 90's too.They filmed a lot of stuff near me in Pontcanna.I remember there were two attractive lesbians but I think they got killed ?

daf

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 21, 2019, 01:07:33 AM
would love a real welsh speaker to help us.

Dwi'n rhugl - ond, gan fy môd i o'r Gogledd, mae'r Cymraeg maen nhw'n siarad ar your rhaglen bron fel iaith arall i mi - fel y gwahaniaeth rhwng acenion 'Geordie' a 'Cockney'. Ond fyddai'n hapus i helpu allan mewn unrhyw ffordd os fedra'i.

Dwi'n sylwi fod trefniant your arwyddgan wedi newid tipyn dros y blynyddoedd - Ond 'does 'na ddim byd gwell na'r un gwreiddiol - sydd wastad yn fy atgoffa i o ran o ochr 2 o Tiwbglychau.

I'm fluent - though, as a Gog, the Welsh they speak on the show is almost like another language to me - sort of like the differences between Geordie and Cockney accents. But I'd be happy to help out any way if I can.

I notice the arrangement for theme tune's changed a bit over the years - Can't beat the original one, though - which always reminds me of a bit from side 2 of Tubular Bells.

hummingofevil

Quote from: daf on May 21, 2019, 02:31:36 PM
Dwi'n rhugl - ond, gan fy môd i o'r Gogledd, mae'r Cymraeg maen nhw'n siarad ar your rhaglen bron fel iaith arall i mi - fel y gwahaniaeth rhwng acenion 'Geordie' a 'Cockney'. Ond fyddai'n hapus i helpu allan mewn unrhyw ffordd os fedra'i.

Dwi'n sylwi fod trefniant your arwyddgan wedi newid tipyn dros y blynyddoedd - Ond 'does 'na ddim byd gwell na'r un gwreiddiol - sydd wastad yn fy atgoffa i o ran o ochr 2 o Tiwbglychau.

I'm fluent - though, as a Gog, the Welsh they speak on the show is almost like another language to me - sort of like the differences between Geordie and Cockney accents. But I'd be happy to help out any way if I can.

I notice the arrangement for theme tune's changed a bit over the years - Can't beat the original one, though - which always reminds me of a bit from side 2 of Tubular Bells.

Diolch! Will have a think. I'm from Wrexham but live in England and my welsh grandparents were called Nain and Taid even though Taid (Gog) was actually from Pontardawe (De) and was half English ( (his father learned Welsh when he moved to Swansea from Worcester to fit in 1920s or something as English wasn't spoken in the dock - supposedly). In summary we are more Gog than De but I think they spoke a bit of a mix. I just try to learn as much as possible of both (and all places in between). I just really like saying "Sa i'n gwybod". Also PyC has Gog characters yeah? I think Ffion speaks Gog.

daf

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 21, 2019, 03:43:24 PM
I just really like saying "Sa i'n gwybod".

Yes, that'd be the 'De' variant - in the north that'd be 'Dwi ddim yn gwybod'. Actually, when speaking it, it'd be more like "Dwi'm'n gwbod" - contacting, and missing out the slightly poncey 'y'.

The casual version of that would be "Wmbo" - (pronounced "Oom Bohh") - derived from dWi ddiM yn gwyBOd - which is the sort of thing sulky schoolkids would say when they didn't know the answer to some question. (Using this would mark you out as a bit of a 'twmffat twp', so best avoided, though it can be occasionally used ironically for comedy purposes)

A classier variant on that would be "W'n i'm" - (pronounced "Ooh Nimm") - which is contracted from the posher "Dwn i ddim" - best used with a shug of the shoulders and baffled expression.

example :
Q : "Lle mae Magi Post wedi mynd?" ("where has Magi Post gone?")
A :  (slouching) "Wmbo! . . . Pacad o Toffos, plîs?" ("Dunno! . . . packet of Toffos please?")

Q : "Lle mae Magi Post wedi mynd?" ("where has Magi Post gone?")
A :  (shrugging) "W'n i'm! . . . Ga'i baced o Toffos, os gwelwch yn dda?" ("I dunno! . . . can I have a packet of Toffos please?")

hummingofevil

If all you dafties didn't take my advice to watch this you are missing out massively. Tonight was another absolute belter. It really is a great bit of TV.

Jittlebags

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 21, 2019, 01:07:33 AM
What's the story? Ti'n siarad cymraeg? There are a few of us trying to get something together via DMs but would love a real welsh speaker to help us.

Yndw. Back in the 80s there were several Welsh 'pop' shows, Roc Rol Te, Y Bocs, Fideo 9. Anyway I was on keyboards for a minor act them days, defunct now, down in Cardiff night before, dodgy Chinese, then fell ill during recording. Me and the guitarist almost shat the stage, then got allocated Mrs McGurk's dressing room to vom it off. Not sure if it was her specific dressing room.

Jittlebags

Would have been nice if they did have dressing rooms with big gold stars next to the names of Denzil, Eileen, Dic Deryn and Mrs McGurk.

PowerButchi

I have a Meic Pierce mug somewhere.