Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:59:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

That's no way to go

Started by Butchers Blind, April 28, 2019, 09:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Between summers at university I got a job on the weighbridge at a local tip. One of the compactor drivers said he used to work for highway maintenance and some poor sod was sat on the tracks of the catarpillar when it started moving and basically just sucked the bottom half of his body into it and squeezing the rest of him like a balloon.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: icehaven on April 29, 2019, 08:20:50 AM
That woman who was found dead in an airing cupboard in a holiday home a few years back. It's presumed she got up to go to the toilet in the night and opened the wrong door, which must have then locked from the inside. Other guests said they heard banging but as there was some refurb work being done at the time just thought it was that (in the middle of the night?)

Edit; Actually it was hypothermia that killed her as she burst a water pipe while trying to get out. Was in there for a week though.

Isn't that the plot of Dark Water?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 29, 2019, 10:12:39 AM
People who fall into vats of boiling liquid metal. Although the nice thing is, you've got a ready-made commemorative statue.

On my first visit to a wastewater treatment plant, one of the operators told us that a colleague had fallen over the side into the activated sludge tank - you go right to the bottom because it is aerated mixed liquor sludge, so you cannot swim in it and just sink (no buoyancy) and no-one can go and get you out either. His body was recovered after several hours, what was left of it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: icehaven on April 29, 2019, 10:22:38 AM
Some bloke fell into a hot spring in Yellowstone park a while back, and there was literally nothing left of him, he was completely vaporised.

You'd have to be in there for some time I believe. You would boil to death and the thermophilic bacteria coupled with the high acidity would break down the proteins of your body fairly rapidly (the same with the guy I mentioned above, except that would be a slower process). No vaporisation, dissolving more likely.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I've never seen inside a thresher, compactor, or industrial oven - and after reading this thread, I sincerely hope I never do - but could they not be built with an emergency off switch on the inside?

St_Eddie

QuoteA Ream's Food Store employee in Sandy, Utah, died this week after she fell into an industrial dough mixer, reports the Associated Press. Investigators are calling the incident a fluke accident.

Carmen "Jackie" Lindhardt reportedly was using the mixer in the Salt Lake City-area store's bakery Wednesday morning. Police believe her clothing became caught in the machinery as Lindhardt was reaching over the mixer, and she was pulled in. A coworker heard screaming and turned off the machine, but Lindhardt was pronounced dead at the scene.

"She had already been sucked down into the machine," Sandy Police Sgt. Dean Carriger told the AP. "Those things are designed to pull a great amount of torque to knead the various kinds of breads."

A video of an industrial dough mixer to give you an idea of what the poor lady was dragged into.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QuoteA Chinese woman died of thirst after becoming trapped in an elevator for a month because maintenance workers shut off the power supply after failing to properly check if anyone was inside.

Workers came to repair a malfunctioning elevator in the northern city of Xi'an in late January, according to local authorities, and shut off the power after shouting to ask if anyone was there.

Power was switched off to the elevator, which was stuck between the 10th and 11th floors, and the workmen left for the New Year holiday, returning at the start of March to find the body and desperate scratch marks on the inside of the lift.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 29, 2019, 03:21:49 PM
I've never seen inside a thresher, compactor, or industrial oven - and after reading this thread, I sincerely hope I never do - but could they not be built with an emergency off switch on the inside?

In the case of the oven story that I quoted, they've since put in place safety measures along these lines.  I'm not sure how one could install an off switch inside a trash compactor though.  However, from looking at the video, there really should have been some handrails around the slope leading into the compactor.

madhair60

There's a Graham Masterton short story called Pig's Dinner about a bloke getting pureed by a feed grinder. It's fucking great. Well, actually, it's fairly crap. But it's still great.

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 29, 2019, 03:41:01 PM
In the case of the oven story that I quoted, they've since put in place safety measures along these lines.  I'm not sure how one could install an off switch inside a trash compactor though.  However, from looking at the video, there really should have been some handrails around the slope leading into the compactor.

They should also put up a big sign like in a Looney Tune that's an arrow pointing to the machine and it says "DON'T GO IN THAT"

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

There's a very short story (about half a page) by top could-be-said-to-have-had-a-slight-influence-on Irvine Welsh  Scottish writer James Kelman about a factory worker falling into a vat of acid or something, as witnessed by his dad, who also works in the factory. Well worth a read.

All of these (real life) stories are very upsetting. I wish I hadn't clicked on to that video of the Chinese woman meeting her  end on that escalator (after ensuring that her young son's life was saved ). Made all the more upsetting by it looking like the two shop assistants didn't seem tp be doing much to help yer woman, one of them just seemed to be standing there in an "Oooh, just fancy that " sort of way, although I'm sure this couldn't have been the case. Fortunately, I was able to cheer myself up by seeing how many wags had written "well, that escalated quickly! " in the comments .

Quote from: madhair60 on April 29, 2019, 03:43:59 PM

They should also put up a big sign like in a Looney Tune that's an arrow pointing to the machine and it says "DON'T GO IN THAT"

The machines in those cartoons were always made by a company called ACME, who clearly had good safety features, because people didn't die, but just staggered out of them looking dazed and dishevelled, maybe with chirping birds, bells, and stars circling round over their heads.

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on April 29, 2019, 03:43:59 PM

No, no, no.  They should put up a big sign with an arrow pointing to the compactor that says "GO IN THAT".  Reverse psychology, innit?

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on April 29, 2019, 03:54:53 PM
The machines in those cartoons were always made by a company called ACME, who clearly had good safety features, because people didn't die, but just staggered out of them looking dazed and dishevelled, maybe with chirping birds, bells, and stars circling round over their heads.

In reality, you're more likely to come out of a trash compactor looking like this...

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 29, 2019, 03:21:49 PM

Generally the solution is to have a 'lockout tagout' system in place so nobody can operate it at all.

Quote from: thenoise on April 29, 2019, 06:00:02 PM
No, although that was based on a true story.

Quoteguests of the hotel began to complain of strange tasting, discolored water

Didn't Dennis Nilsen share home-made meat pies at work...?

katzenjammer

One that kept me awake at night was this account of a potholer who got wedged upside down in a hole for the rest of his life (about 27 hours).  He's still there. They couldn't get his body out so just sealed the cave.

John knew he was now just about stuck and had no room to turn around. He didn't even have room to wriggle back out the way he'd come. He had to try to press forward.

He tried to exhale the air in his chest so that he could fit through a space that was barely 10 inches across and 18 inches high, about the size of the opening of a clothes dryer.

But when John inhaled again and his chest puffed back out, he got stuck for good.

Potholing.  Fuck no.

St_Eddie

The most tragic part about that story is that his final resting place is within Nutty Putty Cave.  Nutty Putty.  Nutty.  Putty.

Quote from: icehaven on April 29, 2019, 08:20:50 AM
That woman who was found dead in an airing cupboard in a holiday home a few years back. It's presumed she got up to go to the toilet in the night and opened the wrong door, which must have then locked from the inside. Other guests said they heard banging but as there was some refurb work being done at the time just thought it was that (in the middle of the night?)

Edit; Actually it was hypothermia that killed her as she burst a water pipe while trying to get out. Was in there for a week though.

Could be half an ep of Some Mothers, with a rescue denouement added.  Comedy and tragedy; fine line....

St_Eddie

One of the most tragic, not to mention cruelest deaths would have to be Hisashi Ouchi...

QuoteHisashi Ouchi was one of the technicians working at a facility operated by JCO (formerly Japanese Nuclear Fuel Conversion Co.) in Tokai of Ibaraki Prefecture. He was one of the two fatalities of the Tokaimura nuclear accident and was exposed to, perhaps, the highest amount of radiation any human had ever been exposed to so far. The ethical value of his prolonged treatment and the efforts to keep him alive, that lasted for almost three months, despite his wishes for the pain he had to endure to end, was questioned and received heavy criticism.

The accident occurred on September 30, 1999, when Hisashi Ouchi and two of his colleagues added a seventh bucket of aqueous uranyl nitrate solution to a precipitation tank. Upon adding this solution, the tank reached a critical stage and went into a self-sustaining nuclear fission chain reaction, releasing intense gamma and neutron radiation.

The employees involved in the accident were Hisashi Ouchi, Masato Shinohara and Yutaka Yokokawa. Ouchi was the nearest to the precipitation tank, while Shinohara was standing on a platform and Yokokawa was sitting at desk four meters away. When the tank reached criticality, they saw a blue flash, possibly Cherenkov radiation, when the gamma-radiation alarms went off. This was the second Tokaimura nuclear disaster to occur and is considered the worst civilian nuclear accident in Japan, before the Fukishima Daiichi nuclear disaster. It also raised concerns over the lack of proper training and security measures in nuclear power plants at that time.

During the accident, Ouchi was exposed to 17 sieverts of radiation, with 8 sieverts being normally considered fatal and 50 milli sieverts being the maximum limit of annual dose allowed for Japanese nuclear workers. Ouchi's exposure to the radiation was so severe that his chromosomes were destroyed and his white blood cell count plummeted to near-zero. Most of his body had severe burns and his internal organs received severe damage.

Ouchi is considered the first fatality of his kind in Japan, perhaps the only person to ever receive such a huge amount of radiation in such a short amount of time. The amount of radioactive energy that he was exposed to is thought to be equivalent to that at the hypocenter of Hiroshima atomic bombing. The immensity of radiation completely destroyed his body, including his DNA and immune system.

What was cruel was that he was resuscitated on the 59th day when his heart stopped three times within a period of 49 minutes, despite wishing not to be allowed to continue to suffer. As his condition worsened, he was transferred to the University of Tokyo Hospital and reportedly underwent the world's first transfusion of peripheral stem cells. He was also given many blood transfusions, fluids and medicine that wasn't readily available in Japan at the time. He also had to undergo several skin transplants which couldn't help the loss of fluids through pores. After being treated for a week, Ouchi managed to say, "I can't take it anymore... I am not a guinea pig". However, the doctors kept treating him and taking measures to keep him alive, which only ensured a very slow and very painful death.

After 83 days of struggle, Ouchi died of multiple organ failure on December 21, 1999.

I'm going to put these final two images of Hisashi Ouchi within separate links.  NSFW and do not open if you do not possess the constitution of a strong stomach.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on April 29, 2019, 07:16:01 PM
Could be half an ep of Some Mothers, with a rescue denouement added.  Comedy and tragedy; fine line....

Wasn't being found in cupboards a recurring theme in Terry and June?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 29, 2019, 07:09:58 PM
The most tragic part about that story is that his final resting place is within Nutty Putty Cave.  Nutty Putty.  Nutty.  Putty.

Tragic, but the guy was a jerk - let me jus wriggle into this even tighter space that no-one has ever been before. What's the worst that can happen?

Horrible beyond belief. At least if he was the right way up, weight loss over the days he would have been trapped would eventually have made for an easy escape.

St_Eddie

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 29, 2019, 07:26:43 PM
Tragic, but the guy was a jerk - let me jus wriggle into this even tighter space that no-one has ever been before. What's the worst that can happen?

I know what you mean.  It's hard to have an overabundance of sympathy for thrill seekers who are that reckless.  Plenty of empathy though.

Twed

One of the worst ever things I've seen is an escalator grinding up a young woman alive in front of her son, in China. There's zero gore, but it's horrible.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twed on April 29, 2019, 07:35:18 PM
One of the worst ever things I've seen is an escalator grinding up a young woman alive in front of her son, in China. There's zero gore, but it's horrible.

Twed, there.  Jumping straight in at the deep end of the thread.

Twed

I'm not reading the rest of the thread to discover new horrible things.

You've been framed has let itself go.

Phil Colons

The Byford Dolphin incident.

4 oil rig deep sea divers suffered explosive decompression after one of them released a clamp on the diving bell to early.

"Subsequent investigation by forensic pathologists determined [diver 4], being exposed to the highest pressure gradient, violently exploded due to the rapid and massive expansion of internal gases. All of his thoracic and abdominal organs, and even his thoracic spine were ejected, as were all of his limbs. Simultaneously, his remains were expelled through the narrow trunk opening left by the jammed chamber door, less than 60 centimetres (24 in) in diameter. Fragments of his body were found scattered about the rig. One part was even found lying on the rig's derrick, 10 metres (30 ft) directly above the chambers

At least their deaths were quick

"The deaths of all four divers were most likely instantaneous and painless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin#Diving_bell_accident

BlodwynPig

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 29, 2019, 07:23:18 PM
One of the most tragic, not to mention cruelest deaths would have to be Hisashi Ouchi...

I'm going to put these final two images of Hisashi Ouchi within separate links.  NSFW and do not open if you do not possess the constitution of a strong stomach.

I hope those doctors never worked again or were jailed. That is brutal and callous. Mengler would have been proud.

BlodwynPig

QuoteStephen Whinfrey, 50, became trapped and asphyxiated when rabbiting near Doncaster, England, after his head became stuck down a rabbit hole

BlodwynPig

No context needed

QuoteIt is understood efforts are ongoing to remove the body from the engine of the Airbus.

Cuellar

Ouchi by name...

Sorry that's horrible.